Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Grassy Waters Preserve be developed and a new preserve established in it's place?
YES 1 25.00%
NO 3 75.00%
NOT SURE 0 0%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2023, 12:30 AM

836 posts, read 850,658 times

Advertisements

I ask this question because there's a lot of debate as to whether preserving Grassy Waters Preserve is really worth it. I understand that Grassy Waters is the freshwater source for the city of WPB and adjoining communities but if the city were to grow into a city of let's say 500K people, then Grassy Waters may have to be "moved" to a different location. I say that proposing for a brad new preserve just outside of WPB is the best for both environmentalists and developers who need land to build in WPB just to keep real estate prices lower as well as to preserve the wildlife areas within Palm Beach County and South FL.

Also, I just don't see how a urban city can be in the business of trying to preserve 23 sq. ft. of land when most of that land can be developed. Lake Okechobee is about 44 miles away from WPB and has the capability of provided more than needed freshwater than what Grassy waters can provide. The potable water from Lake Okechobee can be filtered and distilled into residential, industrial and commercial dwellings. Also, FL in general needs to invest in desalination plants throughout the entire state so it doesn't have problems with water shortages.

Finally, WPB is rapidly growing. The city is 53 sq. mi., 30 sq mi. which can be developed and 23. sq. mi. in which it's preserved in the Grassy Waters. I'd still save some of Grassy Waters for park space, especially the triangular piece of land at the northernmost point at WPB. But as the city continues to grow and densify, and real estate values continue to skyrocket all over WPB, Palm Beach County, and South FL, it may be wise for the city to work with Palm Beach County and create a new preserve outside of the city limits which can supply freshwater for WPB as well as consider Lake Okechobee for it's main freshwater source.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2023, 11:25 AM

17,263 posts, read 21,998,333 times
Northlake is a mess now, with Avenir and Westlake going full blast no need for MORE development out there.

Try going east at 8am or west at 5pm and you would vote instant NO for more development.

Also I thought WPB relied on water from Lake Magnonia and Clear Lake which is why its closed to boating.

Old 10-21-2023, 09:48 PM

836 posts, read 850,658 times
I think the problem is that a city like WPB is fully responsible for Grassy Waters when it should be either the state or the feds. I like the concept of a Grassy Waters but it should be out of the city limits so WPB can grow. I'm not anti-environment, just want to see a solution for both the environmentalists and the developers here. A little out of topic, but imagine if there was already a light rail system in WPB, and another reserve was established in place of Grassy Waters. A few new LRT lines would go into where Grassy Waters is currently at:

https://www.reddit.com/r/TransitDiag...ight_rail_map/

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach