Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2023, 04:30 PM

104 posts, read 148,412 times

Advertisements

We are a retired couple hoping to move to the Staunton area. One reads a lot these days about political polarization and the current animosity between Liberals and Conservatives. Do political MODERATES still exist anywhere? I have many views that fall on both sides of the spectrum. My relatives are divided on social issues on both the left and right. But somehow we all manage to get along, have barbecues, family get togethers and manage to have political discussions that are civil, even friendly.
We can't afford Charlottesville, but find Staunton a charming town; it has some homes that are in our price range. We are hoping to find a "moderate" political climate in the live-and-let-live way. Our interests cover a range from kayaking, birding, gardening, great foods, as well as community oriented service. We both have fine arts backgrounds. I worked in the northwest (Seattle area) for many years as a carpenter/building contractor. More recently I taught high school English.
We are interested in hearing the views from others who relocated to Staunton and their impressions of the town. It does look very attractive to us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2023, 04:53 PM

382 posts, read 867,243 times
Politics are not a huge issue here unless you make an issue. Staunton City leans more democrat and the county areas lean republican. There is always some good old joking from each side in a conversation, but overall no one cares enough to make issues out of it. Sure, there's always one in every crowd, just find another friend if need be.
No one will attack you or egg your house for having 'the other candidate's' stuff on your car or house if that's what your worried about. I have a guy that lives down the road from me, I don't know him, but every time he drives by and sees me out he stops and gives me friendly grief about my political signs, we have fun with it.

Old 12-11-2023, 06:02 AM

4,190 posts, read 2,501,136 times
The last election was an example of moderation in VA politics. Governor Youngkin is a popular governor, he's considered a moderate. Yet even he could not help those to the right of him over the finish line in the last election. It's why the GOP lost control of the General Assembly and they lost even traditional GOP strongholds like Chesterfield County. While it's a bit of an over simplification, there is a term for moderation in VA: the Virginia Way.

Old 12-11-2023, 10:46 AM

19,220 posts, read 17,075,134 times
^
He may talk softer but he is no moderate, more like the latest poster boy for the T-Party. And that's why they lost the House, didn't flip the Senate and lost School Boards throughout the state.

Virginia was moderate until the T-Party pushed the GOP hard right and removed the people's right to select their candidate with a primary.

Old 12-11-2023, 11:28 AM

4,190 posts, read 2,501,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
^
He may talk softer but he is no moderate, more like the latest poster boy for the T-Party. And that's why they lost the House, didn't flip the Senate and lost School Boards throughout the state.

Virginia was moderate until the T-Party pushed the GOP hard right and removed the people's right to select their candidate with a primary.
Alas, I have to agree; it's partly about frame of reference; compared to some in the party like Amanda Chase, Shaia and some of the others as the face of the new GOP.

Last edited by webster; 12-11-2023 at 11:42 AM..

Old 12-11-2023, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by webster View Post
Alas, I have to agree; it's partly about frame of reference; compared to some in the party like Amanda Chase, Shaia and some of the others as the face of the new GOP.
The problem for any GOP candidate is they carry the burden of the National Party, Chase & Shaia embrace that MAGA/Far Right ideology and that's why they lost. I lost a really good Congressman to the new gerrymandered boundaries the party created and got stuck with someone who doesn't represent my area one bit.

Old 12-17-2023, 06:42 PM

1,467 posts, read 1,414,990 times
I have read articles stating Staunton is a lesbian magnet. Why not check out Harrisonburg? The county is conservative, but it gets more liberal as you get closer to the U. However, the JMU folks are generally level headed. Medical is better at UVa, but Harrisonburg has caught up a lot...no medical school at JMU, but top notch nursing school. We've been looking in Cville, and it is downright discouraging...almost to the point of New England liberalism.

Old 12-18-2023, 12:24 PM

5 posts, read 4,460 times
We spend 5-6 weeks/year in Staunton visiting our grandchildren. We are center right and our kids are liberal. Local politics don’t seem to be a big issue . The city seems to be moderate to liberal with the county seems pretty conservative. We are from a large Midwestern city which is half conservative and half liberal. Staunton seems like a nice place to retire to although retirees from NOVA are starting to escalate the real estate market prices.

Old 12-23-2023, 08:59 AM

9,512 posts, read 9,077,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
The problem for any GOP candidate is they carry the burden of the National Party, Chase & Shaia embrace that MAGA/Far Right ideology and that's why they lost. I lost a really good Congressman to the new gerrymandered boundaries the party created and got stuck with someone who doesn't represent my area one bit.
And good thing democrats don’t carry the democrats’ national party ideology with them

“Pro Palestine” won’t win too many Virginia elections for democrats, even in Alexandria.

Old 12-24-2023, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonkk View Post
And good thing democrats don’t carry the democrats’ national party ideology with them

“Pro Palestine” won’t win too many Virginia elections for democrats, even in Alexandria.
And beyond the 2 Muslim Congresswoman who have never supported Israel who are you saying is "Pro Palestinian" ?
If requesting humanitarian aid for women and children and other citizens is considered Pro Palestinian then that whole Christian Conservatism really is a crock of ****. Would they rather see kids die of starvation?

I don't see Democrats wearing the national positions the way the GOP candidates have to they have to deal with the T-Party/Maga demands and if they don't they are called out. Plus the GOP's push to restrict/eliminate woman's health care options does not sit well with many voters as the State Legislature flipping reflected.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia