Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2019, 05:37 PM

13 posts, read 15,800 times

Advertisements

I would not advise moving to Staunton
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2019, 09:17 AM

5,097 posts, read 6,346,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgorgo View Post
Staunton has given way to fast food places all along Rt. 250. The City is also allowing real estate developers to invade the beauty of the landscape that once was. Everywhere you look you see signs by these developers advertising acres of land for sale, either for commercial purposes or residential. Trees are being cut down all over to make way. It is so sad to see this happening to what was a quaint town in the Shenandoah Valley. There once was very little traffic, now the main roads are crowded with drivers speeding along the way always in a hurry to get somewhere. This quaint town in the Valley is no more. There are so many buildings that have been abandoned and have become eyesores. Why aren't these being renovated and made use of instead of tearing down trees and building new construction. What a waste of resources. And, we have the City to blame. There is no beauty left to this town. You have to travel the back roads to see anything nice. It is becoming a city like Harrisonburg (which also was once a beautiful town. I would not advise moving here if you are looking for quiet.

Wow, this is all very disappointing, but probably not totally unexpected. I had been thinking of retiring to Staunton but hadn't been there in quite a while. I have noticed the real estate has increased quite a bit.

What about places Like Lexington, Fishersville, Waynesboro or other small towns in that area?

Old 06-05-2019, 09:42 PM

3,332 posts, read 3,692,179 times
Well... I know a couple that just moved there. They're pretty vanilla with conservative views against abortion, LGBT issues and immigration and are pro Trump.

Old 06-07-2019, 07:19 AM

257 posts, read 223,030 times
LOL at Richmond being "terribly polluted". Richmond is nationally lauded for it's restoration of the lower James and is swimmable most times of the year. Unfortunately, Danville is downstream of a Duke energy plant where just a few years ago nearly 40,000 tons of coal ash got dumped in from NC.

Old 06-09-2019, 01:48 PM

382 posts, read 867,422 times
brava4, yes the entire August County area is in a growth spurt. The problem with Staunton & Waynesboro is there are only a couple of main roads, as with any small town that grows up, and all of the stores want to be there. Traffic is heavy on those roads when people go home from work, for about a whole hour. Even then you don't sit long, your only danger is getting rear ended.

Just remember, in 10 minutes you can be in an area away from the cities proper and it looks like your 50 miles from anything. Once you learn the back roads you can cross the entire county and never hit a traffic light if you want.

Old 06-11-2019, 09:42 AM

5,097 posts, read 6,346,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emsman View Post
brava4, yes the entire August County area is in a growth spurt. The problem with Staunton & Waynesboro is there are only a couple of main roads, as with any small town that grows up, and all of the stores want to be there. Traffic is heavy on those roads when people go home from work, for about a whole hour. Even then you don't sit long, your only danger is getting rear ended.

Just remember, in 10 minutes you can be in an area away from the cities proper and it looks like your 50 miles from anything. Once you learn the back roads you can cross the entire county and never hit a traffic light if you want.

Thanks! I understand about the traffic but anything is less than what I deal with in Arlington/DC. I guess it is disappointing to hear that land is being scooped up and built on. I have friends in Winchester and Purcellville and the drive out there has been a very terrible sight. Just over crowding and more and more building, traffic and people. Ugh! That is what bothers me more than rush hour traffic on main roads. Oh well I guess I'm not that fond of "progress", if that is what it is supposed to be.

Old 06-11-2019, 10:04 AM

2,373 posts, read 1,911,170 times
I have liked driving through Chatham, Va. and especially Bedford, Va. Historic houses, winding roads. Lots of history and going through Bedford you wind up on the Blue Ridge Parkway. (That is Bedford the city or town. Not to be confused with the large Bedford county.) The Fourth Duke of Bedford, John Russell, gave Bedford its name in 1700s

Old 06-27-2019, 11:40 AM

13 posts, read 15,800 times
Unhappy what kind of people live in or are moving to staunton

Quote:
Originally Posted by brava4 View Post
Thanks! I understand about the traffic but anything is less than what I deal with in Arlington/DC. I guess it is disappointing to hear that land is being scooped up and built on. I have friends in Winchester and Purcellville and the drive out there has been a very terrible sight. Just over crowding and more and more building, traffic and people. Ugh! That is what bothers me more than rush hour traffic on main roads. Oh well I guess I'm not that fond of "progress", if that is what it is supposed to be.

I totally agree. I guess "progress" is ruining the beauty of our country. But, stores and strip malls are being built everywhere in these small towns and I give them about 2 years and those buildings will be vacant and eventually become eyesores. I see that all over Staunton. No one wants to occupy the older buildings. Everyone wants new and the land developers are providing that and ruining what beauty is left.

Old 09-09-2019, 11:10 AM

289 posts, read 254,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgorgo View Post
I totally agree. I guess "progress" is ruining the beauty of our country. But, stores and strip malls are being built everywhere in these small towns and I give them about 2 years and those buildings will be vacant and eventually become eyesores. I see that all over Staunton. No one wants to occupy the older buildings. Everyone wants new and the land developers are providing that and ruining what beauty is left.
It is interesting to read your perspective of how things currently are in Staunton. My wife and I just drove from Hagerstown, MD to our home in Raleigh, NC. We traveled down 81 because we are looking to make a move sometime in the next year, and we wanted to see towns like Winchester, Woodstock, Staunton, and Charlottesville.

I grew up in Broomall, PA, a suburb of Philly, and have lived in Raleigh since 2005. When we arrived in the town of Staunton, we were pleased with what we saw. It appeared to be a cute little mountain town with a lot of history, nice shops and restaurants downtown. I did see some areas with homes that seemed to need some "help", and of course, the ugly strip mall eyesores, but overall, it seemed to be SO much more to my liking that where I currently am. I guess my opinion of Staunton comes as a result of comparing it to where I live now, and also, not having seen the town years ago.

I do hate to see trees replaced by new cookie cutter homes and condos. I hate seeing that everywhere! Here in Raleigh when I see a small patch of trees come down for yet another group of cheap ugly houses or commercial business, I get upset for a bit, but then realize that its better they further develop an already developed area then add to the sprawl. The worst is when I see 50 acres of trees leveled in a rural small town, or a 100 acre farm sold to a developer. These things make me sad. Staunton, at this point, to my eyes, seems like a great little town. My choice would be to buy an old home on some land 5 to 10 miles outside of the town. I am friendly, but I'm am a bit of a hermit by nature. If you need help, I'll be there for you, otherwise, I'll be at home with my wife and dogs, tending my garden and animals.

Old 09-09-2019, 02:45 PM

6,356 posts, read 4,175,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlesaf3 View Post
Per all my friends who have lived in Danville, it is a desolate hellhole. Consistent reports, none the slightest bit good. And these are people who like Virginia.
I second the motion to scratch Danville off your list if it’s even on it!

Perhaps look at areas adjacent to Harrisonburg or Roanoke ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia