Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2024, 02:27 AM

24,557 posts, read 18,230,382 times

Advertisements

Vermont has gun law and gun ownership rates consistent with an extremely rural state. People grow up with gun safety. In my life experience, if you’re elderly in a rural place with guns in the house and have a painful terminal condition like pancreatic cancer, suicide is a rational choice. I have life experience with it. I also suspect that the same conditions that lead to opiate addiction in rural places like Vermont also lead to a lot of suicides since guns are so ubiquitous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2024, 12:02 PM

12,368 posts, read 9,473,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Vermont has gun law and gun ownership rates consistent with an extremely rural state. People grow up with gun safety. In my life experience, if you’re elderly in a rural place with guns in the house and have a painful terminal condition like pancreatic cancer, suicide is a rational choice. I have life experience with it. I also suspect that the same conditions that lead to opiate addiction in rural places like Vermont also lead to a lot of suicides since guns are so ubiquitous.
I agree with that. I really wish the bill in Mass that was to legalize medically assisted suicide had not suffered a narrow defeat some 10 years ago. Having spent a good deal of time with my mother in her final weeks and being present holding her hand when she passed from congestive heart failure, I thought - there is no way that I want to go through that... if I have any choice, I'd rather just skip the worst part of dying. Either way, you end up dead, so why not skip the suffering? Not sure if I'd use a gun - I'd be worried that I'd be grievously wounded and *not* die, but I can understand why someone would go that route.

Old 01-17-2024, 03:51 AM

229 posts, read 316,717 times
I see, the OP is probably a moron. Of course. And of course the people who conducted the study are also morons, as somebody implied.
I'm not even obsessed a tiny bit by the Southern States. Not in the least. If I'm obsessed at all it can be summarized by this: I don't care about them, I don't and won't go there.
What I meant is NOT that VT is like the South. I meant that AS FAR AS GUNS DEATH it had the same dynamic. Can you see that in my original post?
Is it legit to wonder why NH, which has as many guns are VT doesn't have the same dynamic? Is that legit to wonder why or it's actually forbidden to wonder about this and if I do it makes me a weirdo? How come Maine, which has even more guns, I'd say, since the laws are more relaxed, has a weaker rate of suicide by guns?
Geeez, guys, all I wanted is to have somebody's opinion on this as we look at the study and the other neighboring states and some southern states, for comparison, not because I'm obsessed with them.

Old 01-17-2024, 11:26 AM

18,356 posts, read 26,481,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phorlan View Post
I see, the OP is probably a moron. Of course. And of course the people who conducted the study are also morons, as somebody implied.
I'm not even obsessed a tiny bit by the Southern States. Not in the least. If I'm obsessed at all it can be summarized by this: I don't care about them, I don't and won't go there.
What I meant is NOT that VT is like the South. I meant that AS FAR AS GUNS DEATH it had the same dynamic. Can you see that in my original post?
Is it legit to wonder why NH, which has as many guns are VT doesn't have the same dynamic? Is that legit to wonder why or it's actually forbidden to wonder about this and if I do it makes me a weirdo? How come Maine, which has even more guns, I'd say, since the laws are more relaxed, has a weaker rate of suicide by guns?
Geeez, guys, all I wanted is to have somebody's opinion on this as we look at the study and the other neighboring states and some southern states, for comparison, not because I'm obsessed with them.
Vermont probably has the bleakest economic situation of the three states.

Old 01-21-2024, 03:53 PM

17,210 posts, read 57,041,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Vermont probably has the bleakest economic situation of the three states.
Oddly enough, IMHO, largely self-inflicted. The business climate in VT is way worse than NH, while the physical geography of the two states is mostly similar..

VT and NH are like beautiful twin sisters, but, one of them is crazy.

Meanwhile, OP, if people in VT were killing themselves but not using guns, would that be OK with you?

Old 01-21-2024, 04:20 PM

18,356 posts, read 26,481,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Oddly enough, IMHO, largely self-inflicted. The business climate in VT is way worse than NH, while the physical geography of the two states is mostly similar..

VT and NH are like beautiful twin sisters, but, one of them is crazy.

Meanwhile, OP, if people in VT were killing themselves but not using guns, would that be OK with you?
Yes. It's very telling driving up the CT River valley. The VT side is dead, with rundown, empty buildings where businesses and industries used to be and rundown houses people are struggling to keep up. The NH side has a decent economy for a rural state. In the winter the VT side has it potholed roads covered in packed snow, slush, and ice, while NH often has bare roads or close to it, and the roads have smooth pavement relatively speaking. There's not even a grocery store in my town in the NEK anymore.

Old 01-21-2024, 04:46 PM

24,478 posts, read 10,804,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phorlan View Post
It is gun deaths please. Have you been to VT especially in winter? I worked this market for 1 1/2 years. It is not pretty. Statistics are a good as their creator. What do you consider a Southern State and how do you compare it to VT?

Old 02-13-2024, 04:00 AM

229 posts, read 316,717 times
I have an AR-15 and a Glock 34. I have no problem with guns.

Old 02-13-2024, 05:52 AM

9,434 posts, read 5,197,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Yes. It's very telling driving up the CT River valley. The VT side is dead, with rundown, empty buildings where businesses and industries used to be and rundown houses people are struggling to keep up. The NH side has a decent economy for a rural state. In the winter the VT side has it potholed roads covered in packed snow, slush, and ice, while NH often has bare roads or close to it, and the roads have smooth pavement relatively speaking. There's not even a grocery store in my town in the NEK anymore.
I think you can blame much of VT's crumbling on the state legislature. But I could be wrong.

We're gonna see what happens with this year's projected tax hikes. If it's as ugly as it sounds, I am outta here.

Old 02-13-2024, 09:26 AM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
I think you can blame much of VT's crumbling on the state legislature. But I could be wrong.

We're gonna see what happens with this year's projected tax hikes. If it's as ugly as it sounds, I am outta here.
I feel sorry for Vermont. My mother's family came from the NEK and I've been up there and, being from the CT River Valley of Mass, it was always a rather easy drive up to beautiful Vermont. It must be terribly isolating to live there though, and really awful in winter. Disastrous floods too.

Maine is at least easy to explain: the people with most of the guns must not live around the coastal area. They live in the woods and use their guns for hunting. New Hampshire I don't understand. I only know southern NH and it's a pretty nice place with beaches, rich towns, nice farms. Maybe (unlike what they say) the influence of densely populated, affluent eastern MA helps them. In contrast, Vermont only has very rural MA on its southern border.

New Hampshire has a better tourist industry with Lake Sunapee and mountains. VT has the mountains and people from western MA go there skiing but it's just not a very exciting place to go and the mountains make for tedious driving just to get anywhere. And when you get there, there's nothing there anyway. Beautiful state for camping though, good for maple syrup.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont