Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2023, 09:44 AM

1,861 posts, read 831,285 times

Advertisements

I haven't checked back here for a bit. Thank you everyone for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2023, 07:41 PM

598 posts, read 328,676 times
Grind in coffee grinder. Can do a whole batch and freeze. 4 T is good fiber, balances hormones, reduces inflammatory prostaglandins, helps bone density? Etc. You can put a few T. In warm water and drink it quickly. It congeals fast. I sprinkle on frozen berries with cinnamon. Flax eggs in baking. It’s esp good in steel cut oats with a bit of coconut oil, etc.

Last edited by Ghobi; 05-01-2023 at 08:54 PM..

Old 05-07-2023, 09:18 AM

22,679 posts, read 24,673,472 times
If the goal is to increase EPA and DHA intake, ALA from flax must be converted to DHA/EPA. The human conversion-rate for this process is very, very low.

Anyone seeking a boost in DHA/EPA intake would probably be much better-off eating fatty-fish or taking fish-oil.

There are also vegan sources of EPA/DHA.

Old 09-30-2023, 08:11 PM

11,089 posts, read 6,961,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
I add them to homemade crackers. If you want a recipe please let me know. Sprinkle them on yoghurt, add them to cereal. Actually - soak the little beasties for an hour or so in warm water or broth. I like yoghurt/cottage cheese with savory toppings.
Yes, soaking them is a very good idea... something about how the health benefits are increased. I have something called "Super Seeds" that I bought at Trader Joe's. I add it to my smoothie every morning. It's a combination of chia seeds, flax meal and hulled hemp seeds. I'm still trying to see the benefit of it. Since I eliminated dairy, sugar, bread from my diet my digestion has drastically changed to back before we had all the processed food (1960's and 70's). I've been wondering what fiber powder to get (wheat free and sugar free). Not easy to find.

Old 10-02-2023, 01:18 PM

10,921 posts, read 7,453,956 times
According to the Mayo clinic https://newsnetwork.mayoclinic.org/d...al-powerhouse/

"Unripe and raw flaxseed can have toxins that may be harmful in high doses. Consider toasting, cooking or baking the flaxseed to destroy those toxins."

I recently read that flaxseed contains small amounts of cyanide. Whole seeds pass through your system, taking the cyanide with them, while ground seeds release the toxins as well as the nutrients.

Our bodies can process and discard some cyanide, but it's a good idea to limit consumption.

Mayo says,
"The best way to incorporate flaxseed into your diet is by adding 1 to 4 tablespoons of ground flaxseed to your snacks and meals each day"

Old 10-02-2023, 01:58 PM

OK wait, Mayo say ground flaxseed but whole flaxseed takes the cyanide with it when it passes through our system? I just started using Super Seeds: chia, "milled" flaxseed and hulled hemp hearts. I usually put a tablespoon in my morning smoothie. I'm still waiting for the, uh, digestive benefits after giving up coffee, sugar and dairy. Still looking for a high quality fiber powder that doesn't contain wheat (wheat dextrin is OK from what I've read) and sugar.

Old 10-03-2023, 09:29 AM

10,921 posts, read 7,453,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
OK wait, Mayo say ground flaxseed but whole flaxseed takes the cyanide with it when it passes through our system? I just started using Super Seeds: chia, "milled" flaxseed and hulled hemp hearts. I usually put a tablespoon in my morning smoothie. I'm still waiting for the, uh, digestive benefits after giving up coffee, sugar and dairy. Still looking for a high quality fiber powder that doesn't contain wheat (wheat dextrin is OK from what I've read) and sugar.
Two different sources. Mayo says toasting destroys the toxins, which should make ground flax safe, but their recommendation is 1- 4 Tbs per day, not pounds of the stuff.

Old 10-03-2023, 12:34 PM

I just checked prices at Walmart (and on Amazon) for standard fiber powders. I am absolutely shocked at the prices of even a small container ($8.00?? ), and there is all kinds of "junk" added in that isn't necessary. Not buying them. I'll stick to the natural stuff available at Trader Joe's, Whole Foods, Sprouts, etc.

Old 10-27-2023, 06:54 PM

3,105 posts, read 2,241,146 times
If you have something like Natural Grocers, they have a good seeds section and they keep them refrigerated, which I prefer. Sprouts has them it the bulk section often but not refrigerated. We buy flax, chia, sunflower, pumpkin and sesame seeds, mix them together and put a good amount in the breakfast oatmeal. We do grind the flax seeds in the grinder ourselves. We also put pumpkin seeds in the salad every evening.

Old 11-21-2023, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavm View Post
If you have something like Natural Grocers, they have a good seeds section and they keep them refrigerated, which I prefer. Sprouts has them it the bulk section often but not refrigerated. We buy flax, chia, sunflower, pumpkin and sesame seeds, mix them together and put a good amount in the breakfast oatmeal. We do grind the flax seeds in the grinder ourselves. We also put pumpkin seeds in the salad every evening.
I keep forgetting to grind my chia and other seeds in the coffee grinder (I have a separate one for coffee beans). I read somewhere that it's best to soak or grind the seeds for better nutrient absorption. Soon, I'll be back near a Sprouts so I can start buying in bulk again. I really miss the days when more stores carried bulk, and really appreciate stores like Sprouts that still do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food