Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2022, 11:58 AM

7,115 posts, read 12,654,276 times

Advertisements

Hi! I'm seeking online sources for low/no sodiuim foods. Most especially veggie stock/broths, canned beans and pasta sauces.

Just tried to find low/no sodium veggie stock/;broths in local stores and came up empty. I live in a small town--not very many grocery choices.

As I have high blood pressure and am salt-sensitive I try to limit sodium in my foods.

Thanks! And if you also have a favorite online source for unsalted nuts, I'd appreciate that info, too!

A million thank you's!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2022, 12:06 PM

130,047 posts, read 12,072,794 times
Have you considered making your own broths, it can be very easy. ( lots of onions, garlic & carrots, bay leaf) Making beans from dry beans can also be fairly simple. If you cook up a big batch, you can freeze them in meal size portions. When I went low sodium, that is what I did, however, in my case, I found out I was not salt sensitive, so I quit. But good luck.

Old 06-17-2022, 01:45 PM

Thanks for your thoughts.

Yes, I have considered making my own broths/stocks. BUT, since I cook from the seat of my pants I think it might be a hassle to defrost frozen broths when I need them in a hurry...

Same with beans from dried sources...

Old 06-17-2022, 01:58 PM

11,175 posts, read 16,008,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Hi! I'm seeking online sources for low/no sodiuim foods. Most especially veggie stock/broths, canned beans and pasta sauces.

Just tried to find low/no sodium veggie stock/;broths in local stores and came up empty. I live in a small town--not very many grocery choices.

As I have high blood pressure and am salt-sensitive I try to limit sodium in my foods.

Thanks! And if you also have a favorite online source for unsalted nuts, I'd appreciate that info, too!

A million thank you's!!
It's easy to search for and order such items to be delivered from WalMart.

Low sodium veggie broth: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Pacific-F...3?athbdg=L1200

No salt added canned vegetables: https://www.walmart.com/search?q=no+...ned+vegetables

Unsalted nuts: https://www.walmart.com/search?q=unsalted+nuts

Old 06-17-2022, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
It's easy to search for and order such items to be delivered from WalMart.

Low sodium veggie broth: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Pacific-F...3?athbdg=L1200

No salt added canned vegetables: https://www.walmart.com/search?q=no+...ned+vegetables

Unsalted nuts: https://www.walmart.com/search?q=unsalted+nuts
Thanks! Very helpful!

Seems as though the less sodium I eat/drink, the lower my BP goes...my goal is to get off the meds (hate the side effects)!

Some of us are hyper sensitive to sodium it seems...

Old 06-17-2022, 06:12 PM

61,647 posts, read 87,001,838 times
Check the labels. Dilute salty stuff.

Old 06-17-2022, 08:29 PM

Yes! The labels...our shopping trip today had many surprises on foods high in salt...will have to more vigilant from now on...

Old 06-18-2022, 04:22 PM

130,047 posts, read 12,072,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Thanks for your thoughts.

Yes, I have considered making my own broths/stocks. BUT, since I cook from the seat of my pants I think it might be a hassle to defrost frozen broths when I need them in a hurry...

Same with beans from dried sources...
I find frozen broth will melt quickly if I put it in a pan. Only a few minutes, to boil. But of course a carton will be slightly quicker

Old 05-27-2023, 04:16 PM

23,511 posts, read 23,986,796 times
We can find low sodium/no sodium foods at Trader Joe’s and Smart & Final for reasonable prices. Amazon has lots of unsalted nuts.

I’ve become accustomed to eating a lower sodium bread (Ezekiel bread) which contains 75/80 mg of sodium per slice. I like the flax seed, original and sesame seed versions.

Old 01-25-2024, 07:07 AM

5 posts, read 1,217 times
When looking for low or no-sodium foods, it's important to focus on whole, fresh, and minimally processed options. Here are some food sources that are naturally low in sodium:

1) Fresh Fruits and Vegetables: Almost all fruits and vegetables are naturally low in sodium. Incorporate a variety of colors
and types into your diet.

2) Whole Grains: Choose whole grains like brown rice, quinoa, oats, and barley, which are naturally low in sodium.

3) Lean Proteins: Opt for lean protein sources such as skinless poultry, lean cuts of beef or pork, fish, eggs, and tofu. Fresh
or frozen options are generally lower in sodium than processed or cured meats.

4) Dairy and Dairy Alternatives: Plain, unsalted dairy products and dairy alternatives like unsweetened almond milk or soy
milk are lower in sodium.

5) Nuts and Seeds: Unsalted nuts and seeds, such as almonds, walnuts, chia seeds, and flaxseeds, are good sources of
healthy fats and protein.

6) Legumes: Beans, lentils, and peas are rich in protein and fiber and are naturally low in sodium.

7) Herbs and Spices: Fresh and dried herbs, as well as spices like garlic, onion, turmeric, and cumin, can add flavor to your
dishes without the need for salt.

8) Oils and Fats: Healthy fats, such as olive oil, avocado oil, and coconut oil, are naturally low in sodium.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food