Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2013, 06:15 AM

2,827 posts, read 4,339,506 times

Advertisements

There are lots of non-meat products these days that are supposed to be very similar to animal meat/flesh which try to resemble them in taste and looks. These products try to imitate not only the flavor but also the texture and the appearance of their meat counterparts. I guess the idea behind this is that we became so used to eating meat/flesh at some point in our lives, that those tastes and textures are imprinted in our brains as being the preferred ones. And so when we eat one of these faux products, we are brought back to re-awakening those "preferred" tastes and textures from the past. To me, it's like not being able to let go of the meat eating days by trying to fake ourselves out of it with plant-based substitutes. How do you feel about it, and do you like those products?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2013, 07:06 AM

11,151 posts, read 15,829,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nezlie View Post
There are lots of non-meat products these days that are supposed to be very similar to animal meat/flesh which try to resemble them in taste and looks. These products try to imitate not only the flavor but also the texture and the appearance of their meat counterparts. I guess the idea behind this is that we became so used to eating meat/flesh at some point in our lives, that those tastes and textures are imprinted in our brains as being the preferred ones. And so when we eat one of these faux products, we are brought back to re-awakening those "preferred" tastes and textures from the past. To me, it's like not being able to let go of the meat eating days by trying to fake ourselves out of it with plant-based substitutes. How do you feel about it, and do you like those products?

I've eaten meat analogs for years and have never experienced a "re-awakening" of any kind. They're highly processed products, and many people won't eat them for that reason, but if that's not a problem, then they're fine.

Old 01-11-2013, 07:08 AM

8,276 posts, read 12,854,528 times
I have no interest in the look or texture of meat. Frankly, its disgusting and I want nothing on my plate resembling it. If I want something to look like meat, I'd eat meat.

Old 01-11-2013, 07:42 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,682,985 times
I use them sometimes to have a wider variety of protein sources and because they are convenient. They don't make me want to eat meat again, no. It's been a year and I haven't looked back once.

Old 01-11-2013, 02:44 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,043,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nezlie View Post
How do you feel about it, and do you like those products?
My husband likes them and I don't...not because of any of the reasons you stated though.

Old 01-11-2013, 03:11 PM

5,346 posts, read 9,850,819 times
I like quite a few of them. They are high in protein and convenient. I like to keep them in the freezer at work because I can't just saute tofu slices in the breakroom.

I don't care that they are shaped like a burger or chicken nugget. They could be shaped like building blocks or anything else, I am not fooled into thinking I am eating meat.

Old 01-11-2013, 07:35 PM

19 posts, read 29,761 times
Then why do people use them as direct substitutes for meat? Tofurky dinner on Thanksgiving, a Gimme Lean sausage and cheese breakfast sandwich, eggs and Gimme Lean bacon, TVP to replicate ground beef in chili, Veggie dogs and burgers at a BBQ, Chik'n nuggets as...chicken nuggets, deli slices so you can pretend you're eating a ham and cheese sandwich, fake meatballs because, apparently, spaghetti just isn't the same without them.

Even the manufacturers advertise that way with things like, "Breakfast just isn't breakfast without sausage or bacon. And with our veggie versions it never has to be." Or, "Enjoy an all-American classic, veggie style", referring to a soy dog. Or, "A vegan ham that looks tastes and handles like real meat". The selling point for all these things is how meat-like they are and that you don't have to sacrifice that dinning experience.

I've never eaten meat in my life and I'm not curious about what it's like, so maybe I just don't have the perspective to understand the desire to replace meat with things that look like meat

Old 01-11-2013, 08:30 PM

5,346 posts, read 9,850,819 times
I don't know any veg*ns who actually think veggie burgers or Smart dogs taste like meat.

Old 01-11-2013, 09:03 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,043,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna19 View Post
Then why do people use them as direct substitutes for meat? Tofurky dinner on Thanksgiving, a Gimme Lean sausage and cheese breakfast sandwich, eggs and Gimme Lean bacon, TVP to replicate ground beef in chili, Veggie dogs and burgers at a BBQ, Chik'n nuggets as...chicken nuggets, deli slices so you can pretend you're eating a ham and cheese sandwich, fake meatballs because, apparently, spaghetti just isn't the same without them.

Even the manufacturers advertise that way with things like, "Breakfast just isn't breakfast without sausage or bacon. And with our veggie versions it never has to be." Or, "Enjoy an all-American classic, veggie style", referring to a soy dog. Or, "A vegan ham that looks tastes and handles like real meat". The selling point for all these things is how meat-like they are and that you don't have to sacrifice that dinning experience.

I've never eaten meat in my life and I'm not curious about what it's like, so maybe I just don't have the perspective to understand the desire to replace meat with things that look like meat
You have no frame of reference or experience with eating meat and therefore for whatever reason can't understand eating meat substitute. Others do have memories of eating meat and therefore enjoy eating something that tastes good to them while still maintaining their choice not to eat animal based products. Don't let it bother you so much and don't try so hard to defend your choice. Be happy and content in your own choices and don't be so concerned with the choices of others.

Old 01-11-2013, 10:37 PM

24,095 posts, read 32,437,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
I like quite a few of them. They are high in protein and convenient. I like to keep them in the freezer at work because I can't just saute tofu slices in the breakroom.

I don't care that they are shaped like a burger or chicken nugget. They could be shaped like building blocks or anything else, I am not fooled into thinking I am eating meat.
I feel the same. Most don't actually look like meat, they resemble meat products - sausages, meat balls, nuggets, slices.

When they make a bloody steak with fat that coagulates on the plate and blood and bone - I think I'll abstain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food