Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2023, 01:33 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixSomeday View Post
Vancouver / Camas is still at the top of our list of places to move. ... kids (ages 3 to 9 at the time). Despite the lengthy gloom, we'd still be willing to give it a shot if it was just the two of us (she actually likes that weather) because of how amazing the landscape is. But alas, the kids were absolutely miserable though. Maybe when they get older; but the older they get the harder it is to move them because of school attachments. ...
sooner the better for the kids.

Would they be leaving grandparents? That's the only reason I imagine to primarily consider 'kid wishes' (elementary age).

I expect many of us just drug them along, whether by choice or necessity. Many of my friends were military... no choice where they were to live. Ours were not outwardly keen on living in various international locations as kids, but ... it definately changed their 'experience'

Don't forget Running Start (free FT college instead of HS). Maybe your kids will like that, maybe not. It's a valuable option for many.

Our friends in Camas built a 'sports court', indoors for their kids. It was a popular spot in the winter. (for all-comers)
For little kids there has been a really good play co-op in Camas for many years.

My big MISS was lack of public lap pools / affordable competitive swimming. 10+ High schools in SWWA with NO pools. Need to go to Beaverton / metro Portland for that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2023, 07:19 PM

5,439 posts, read 7,726,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixSomeday View Post
Vancouver / Camas is still at the top of our list of places to move. My wife and I have visited a couple of times and loved it. Once in July of last year by ourselves and then a few months later in November with the kids (ages 3 to 9 at the time). Despite the lengthy gloom, we'd still be willing to give it a shot if it was just the two of us (she actually likes that weather) because of how amazing the landscape is. But alas, the kids were absolutely miserable though. Maybe when they get older; but the older they get the harder it is to move them because of school attachments. MtnSurfer really doesn't help the situation with all the beautiful pictures he posts.
Camas and Vancouver is a very friendly place if your kids are at all non-conformist in any way. Socially, in terms of gender, in terms of political beliefs and interests. I'm originally from here but we moved back from Texas when the kids were entering 5th and 8th grade with the oldest entering college. It was a bit of an adjustment, especially for the 8th grader. But they quickly found friends. And I could already tell that they were both starting to drift away from their Texas friends whose families were more conservative and religious than ours and were going to potentially have a more alienating experience in HS in Texas.

Something to think about. Your kids are going to be from wherever you raise them: Texans, Californians, Washingtonians, Arizonans, etc. And the geography where they grow up with enormously influence where they go to college, start their careers, and begin their independent life. So you are basically setting their future in motion by where you choose to raise them.

Old 07-16-2023, 03:55 PM

1,066 posts, read 891,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdiver View Post
Camas and Vancouver is a very friendly place if your kids are at all non-conformist in any way. Socially, in terms of gender, in terms of political beliefs and interests. I'm originally from here but we moved back from Texas when the kids were entering 5th and 8th grade with the oldest entering college. It was a bit of an adjustment, especially for the 8th grader. But they quickly found friends. And I could already tell that they were both starting to drift away from their Texas friends whose families were more conservative and religious than ours and were going to potentially have a more alienating experience in HS in Texas.

Something to think about. Your kids are going to be from wherever you raise them: Texans, Californians, Washingtonians, Arizonans, etc. And the geography where they grow up with enormously influence where they go to college, start their careers, and begin their independent life. So you are basically setting their future in motion by where you choose to raise them.
Your last paragraph weighs on me greatly. More than it should really as far as life shaping experiences.

Old 07-16-2023, 09:10 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SusVelo View Post
Your last paragraph weighs on me greatly. More than it should really as far as life shaping experiences.
actually... 'environment*' is probably a greater influence than '(working / typical USA) parents', In shaping your kids.

* - their exposure to other cultures, age groups, friends, activities, family (multi generational / extended).

Note I didn't include education, as that too is very environmental / situational. Ours were 'unschooled', they are very successful, maybe because they are very analytical... self responsible for outcome. They certainly were not blessed with learning / educational excellence, as gauged by social norms. School?, what school?

More than a few of my childhood friends ended up in jail, or dead. That changed my perspective / circles of influence and friendship.

Many of my country school classmates were killed in a flash flood. (144 deaths in my small neigborhood, but many were tourists visiting for the summer)

Mt St Helens was a similar event that wiped out generations of WA homes and familia history. I'm sure it had a lasting impact on thousands of school age kids. As did Spotted Owl economic changes. Towns died.

Old 08-28-2023, 10:51 AM

1 posts, read 491 times
Default Former Californian AND Salem, Oregon resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by calitopnw View Post
I'm looking to relocate within the next year or so to the PNW. Yes I have visited both WA and OR previously and while I didn't get to spend as much time exploring as I would have liked, I really enjoyed both states (with the exception of Portland, due to the massive amount of homeless people everywhere, which I know can be a problem in big cities). I am not a big city person (no thanks traffic, smog, crime) but I like rural or suburban areas - anything where I can can commute to a job within 30 min, or work remote.

I am from CA and have never been a huge fan of it here. While we do have beautiful beaches and lots of sunshine, it has always been a great place to visit / vacation rather than live due to the crazy high cost of living, which has recently gotten more absurd than ever. Gas is $5/gallon, eggs are $9/dozen, milk is $6/gallon, and rent on a simple 2 bedroom apartment is over $3K/month. Basic homes in my area are over $1 million and anything "nice" is easily 2 million or more. I know people in OR / WA probably have seen an increase in cost of living as well, and I have noticed it too from my online research, BUT its still no where near as bad as CA.

In addition to the crazy cost of living, I am a cold weather person. I dread the weather most of the year in CA. I prefer overcast and rainy to sunny and warm. When I visited WA/OR I loved the weather there!

I've given relocating a great deal of research and thought already (for several years) and feel this will be a good move for me. I am reaching out to get some feedback on the two locations I have narrowed my search down to - Salem OR and Vancouver WA. Both seem nice, similar weather, and both seem to have stores in the area that I'm familiar with. The wages seem fair based on the rent prices that I've seen online, at least compared to CA. But I still don't have too many details on what makes one place a better fit possibly than the other, and I would love to hear from the locals - what do you like vs dislike about your area? If you have lived in both places by chance, is there one you prefer to the other, and why?

A little about me - I'm nearing 40, I'm divorced with no kids (so I don't need to be near good schools), I am an office admin currently with lots of office work experience and can do any type of office work that pays the bills. I am vegetarian, animal lover, nature lover, church attender, cat rescue volunteer, not big into politics, laid back vibe, have tattoos. Anything you want to know about me, feel free to ask. However, please refrain from trying to talk me out of relocating. I've seen that as a very common trend on this site. Thanks!
I lived in various places in California for over 50 years and also lived in Salem, Oregon 2019-2022. The beauty of the PNW in general is wonderful. And, even in a big city, the neighborhoods feel more "rural" than the average neighborhood in California. We lived in West Salem and--other than there only being one bridge to get across the river to/from central Salem, which generally wasn't a problem--I loved the area. On the other side of the river (with downtown) you are DEFINITELY going to see a lot of homelessness. And, I mean A LOT OF HOMELESSNESS. Coming from California, where it's not as prevalent, at least unless you are in the big cities, it is unnerving to see the extent of homelessness in the area. It was my least favorite thing about Oregon. (Lest I sound heartless, as much as I hate seeing it, I hate that it exists in general for those affected.) I worked for the state while I lived there and I think they're the largest employer in the area. (Lower wages than paid in California but, fantastic benefits!) What I was surprised to find is that Salem is basically a small town. Is it the capitol of Oregon? Yes, but it absolutely doesn't feel like a vibrant metropolis. It is small. This limits your choices for dining out and/or nightlife. And, my single friends told me it's a wasteland. There are major chains (like Target, Costco, Trader Joe's, etc.) there, but not a major shopping mall with large retailers (i.e. Nordstroms, Crate & Barrel, etc.). There's one old, leftover mall in the center of town with a few anchor department stores, like Kohl's and Macy's, and a sprinkling of smaller stores, but it's sleepy. If I had to move back, i'd move somewhere like Newberg which is sort of between Salem and Portland. Even though it's smaller than Salem in area and population, it doesn't feel much smaller. It feels like a cool boutique town (surrounded by wineries). However, I never saw a homeless problem there. If it exists (and it probably does), it's smaller and more out-of-sight. I'm like you and don't mind the rainy weather. It's what makes the area so beautiful. And, the sunny days are STUNNING. I loved the lack of sales tax. Property taxes are higher than California (to my surprise). Politics-wise, you are aware of both liberals and conservatives there. Even though Oregon is considered a liberal state, there are many conservatives present in Salem as well. Circling back to the wineries in the area....ah. The wineries. My favorite part. Hope some of this helped. Good luck.

Old 01-12-2024, 09:09 PM

8,301 posts, read 13,434,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by busyness View Post
I lived in various places in California for over 50 years and also lived in Salem, Oregon 2019-2022....
If I may, where do you live currently? Also, did you relocate to your new home due to work or something else?

I had to relocate to West Phoenix due to family reasons but it is not a bad place to live or raise a family though I don't have a family of my own (yet).

Winters are probably better here than it is in PNW but still, I really want to relocate to PNW in the near future, if I can.

I have become aware of the property taxes in OR being higher than CA and yes, it was a bit shocking to me as well. That said, every state has to generate revenue some way. At least, most States hit their residents harder with on 1-2 things typically where CA hits in many ways and also even certain medical fees/charges from 3rd party companies are higher if you are in CA. Something my mom was paying $180 for her co-pay in CA is only $9 a month in AZ. Crazy!

I get to meet a lot of elderly people from some other part of the country which is nice. I get to chat about their home town and get info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area