Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2024, 04:33 AM

1 posts, read 441 times

Advertisements

I was laid off from my job at Carl's Jr on November 4th for suspected theft. I never took any money on the register never stole anything but my register was short they said the night before they didn't give me the amount or any detail about it. They sent me home on November 5th when I showed up to work and told me they were going to review the cameras and see what happened when I got home from work I got an alert from that paychecks app that I was a terminated employee. I filed for unemployment and I put the reasoning but I put that I did not steal anything because I did not and I was denied. The denial says that my employer was able to show proof of prior warnings for this behavior. That is totally not true I was never warned ever in my employment of seven months there about money being missing or anything like that. I was probably their top employee. I don't understand why they didn't watch the cameras and try to figure out what happened I know for sure they couldn't see me do anything cause I never did anything so I am very confused about what I should do. The thing I'm worried about is the fact that it says my employer send proof that I had prior write-ups how could that be? How could they send proof of something that never happened. What should I expect from the hearing? Any insight would be helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2024, 08:31 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,968,136 times
Don't worry about "employer showed proof" since most times it's just a box they checked that asked if they have proof. Doesn't mean they have any or that its admissible at a hearing.

You start the appeal with a simple response. This is an example of what I would write since you're in NV:
The determination number/file/case (forgot what they use) XXXXX dated XX/XX/XXXX is wrong. I did not do any of the things my employer is accusing me of doing. I want an in-person appeals hearing scheduled."
That's pretty much all you write. You don't want to tip your hand as to your defense so at this stage, you don't write any type of defense. You also need to absolutely deny doing anything as that sets the stage for a clean slate hearing. You want an in-person hearing scheduled as it's more likely the employer may not show or may not have the evidence with them to support their claim.

Once yo get the appeal request sent in, get back to us and we can discuss strategy and the hearing process. You will need to be aware of how hearings are conducted so you can use it to your advantage.

Old 01-15-2024, 09:12 AM

20,098 posts, read 8,998,912 times
Why waste time on this? Direct your energy on finding a new job instead of make collecting unemployment from Carl's Jr. your job.

Old 01-15-2024, 11:16 AM

13,131 posts, read 20,968,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
Why waste time on this? Direct your energy on finding a new job instead of make collecting unemployment from Carl's Jr. your job.
Because:
1. If an employee is terminated from their job through no fault of their own, it's their right to collect unemployment benefits while they are looking for a new job.
and,
2. It penalizes an employer who through ignorance or willful conduct terminated an employee without merit
and lastly,
3. It's a step to ensure employer's understand there are consequences to their actions so that future employees may not have to go through this.

By way of disclosure, I am an employer and I know how easy employers can screw over employees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment