Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2019, 10:52 AM

91 posts, read 76,638 times

Advertisements

I went online to enter my weekly claim this morning and after trying to login it states "I've returned to work" and doesn't let me continue, it states to refile or whatever or to call the #... unfortunately it is Sunday so nobody at that office.

I was laid off at the end of January this year, it's been about 16-17 weeks since I've lasted worked. I've gone on plenty of interviews and filled out job applications with no avail. Actually rechecked and it's only been 13-14 weeks... seems longer.

I have literally not worked since the end of January.. I am not sure why it is saying I returned to work. I did quickly go through the re-file "update" section, it lists no new employers besides the 2 I've worked for in the last 3 years or so. I worked at one place for 3-4 years, and then in 01/2018 took a new position and was unfortunately laid off 01/2019.

I guess I have to call the # tomorrow, I looked up and it still shows I have $X,xxx.00 remaining, most likely enough for at least 1 more month. I read that Unemployment claims can last up to 26-27 weeks or until your funds are exhausted... so I've met neither.

Seriously not sure what the hold up is, the only other thing I could think of is I "Volunteer" for a local youth sports group which I have not helped since probably about the time I was laid off as it was mostly throughout 2018. This was not even a paid position, just something to help the community. We do not give any financial or personal information out in regards to getting paid, no SSN, etc... So I have no idea what or who said I worked because I haven't heh.

Anyone have this issue, I saw an older post or two with people that had issues and realized that they either visited a temp agency or refused work, I have done nothing out of compliance with the NJ UI program besides follow the process, I've been looking for work with no avail.

Last edited by sliceofice22; 06-23-2019 at 11:19 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2019, 11:01 AM

14,500 posts, read 31,061,750 times
It's usually caused by a potential employer that ran you through the New Hire Database.

Were you remotely close to getting a job with anyone?

Old 06-23-2019, 11:17 AM

Sadly no, besides 1 or 2 interviews I thought went well (directly through employer no temp agencies). I've worked through temp agencies in the past but have tried to avoid them in the past decade or so, actually really didn't need one due to always being employed locally or somewhere directly.

The only thing that I can think of is maybe they want you to refile/renew/update your claim after 5 months? I noticed it's been exactly 5 months, 16-17 weeks roughly. I read online it's 26-27 weeks, plus I had quite a bit left in regarding to funds.

Maybe the law has changed and no longer 26 weeks, if it ever was I am just going by a site off the search engine not 100% sure it was from the State of NJ.

The only thing I could think of is while I was volunteering last year, we did actually have to pay for our own background checks (new rule for most youth sports/clubs). I won't say which organization but they do "promise" to reimburse us for things like that, in all honestly I told them not to worry about it since it was only about $50, I passed no issues, which basically is just a new safety feature and like a green light so that the parents know the volunteer staff are safe... due to all the horrible things going on in the country with coaches, trainers, and other sickos.

I really hope they didn't reimburse me for the $50'sh from literally 03/2018 ugh! They are seriously that slow, it's the only thing I can think of. I was never an employer, I never really worked, I never got paid nor expected to get paid.. I just helped out 1-2 nights a week last year, and a few times early this year in January.

Could something like that actually mess their system up? I still haven't received any checks, paychecks, or any compensation and really don't plan on or care if I do. I volunteered while I could, people actually come and go helping the club and the sport out all the time.

I hope I can call the NJ # tomorrow and see what the issue is, if someone added or wrote a check to me unknowingly they OBVIOUSLY must know whom if they believe I am working again. If it does come to be something ridiculous like a small check for being reimbursed for something I hope it doesn't disqualify me from my remaining balance. It would be a shame if they DQ'd me for something that ridiculous.

Old 06-23-2019, 11:33 AM

Actually after re-adding the weeks I am on my 22nd maybe 23rd week... I can't believe it's been that long. So if it's 26 weeks maybe I am on the bubble on their system, it's certainly not more than 23 weeks.

I am hoping that I can re-file or open another claim as I still have quite a lot of "funds" left, enough probably for another 1-2 months possibly. I do not know if they are doing extensions, I honestly did not pay attention to the time but it's still not 26 weeks.

I am not sure why it would say "Returned to work" rather than something like "Your time is up"... a little confusing.

Old 06-23-2019, 12:19 PM

3,259 posts, read 2,765,294 times
Did you check your original claim determination that they send you and see how many weeks it is showing on it? It isn't always a flat 26 weeks. It goes off of how many countable base weeks (weeks where you made more than X amount of dollars.. can't remember off the top of my head what the dollar amount is) are in your base period. Take your total claim amount and divide by your weekly benefit amount to see how many weeks you are entitled to. Then see if you've hit that # yet.

Are you sure you didn't miss claiming a week which would might trigger you into "you returned to work" mode?

Old 06-23-2019, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scraprsmith View Post
Did you check your original claim determination that they send you and see how many weeks it is showing on it? It isn't always a flat 26 weeks. It goes off of how many countable base weeks (weeks where you made more than X amount of dollars.. can't remember off the top of my head what the dollar amount is) are in your base period. Take your total claim amount and divide by your weekly benefit amount to see how many weeks you are entitled to. Then see if you've hit that # yet.

Are you sure you didn't miss claiming a week which would might trigger you into "you returned to work" mode?
I've never missed a claim, I have always done it weekly. Did it last Sunday, everything was fine.

After doing a little math which I am bad at, 23x$xxx.00 comes up to roughly $1,000 give or take which would be remaining.. pretty much enough for maybe another 2-3 weeks.. so it seems to be on proper pace.

However, on the State's website it states I have a remaining balance over $2,000 or so. From what my initial claim (the paperwork they sent me) I should still have somewhere between $1000-2000 remaining for my final weeks.

So there definitely should be more than enough funds available for my final 3-4 weeks.
Why would the website itself still say I have $X,xxx.xx remaining. It's just odd that it's telling me I returned to work I really need to find out what that statement is about because I don't think I've met the Remaining balance by a long shot, as for the weeks I should have 3-4 weeks left.

When I divide the # of Maximum benefits on the paperwork by the weekly rate it comes out to 26 exactly... So someone must have "paid" me... maybe there is a check in the mail from the club I volunteered at last year and I haven't gotten it yet? I haven't spoken to them for several months and it's the off-season so hard to get in touch with anyone about anything.

Hey I'd love to get a check... but if it's for what I think it is, about $50'sh just reimbursing me for something, which was over 12 months ago... the club that I helped is incredibly slow, it's very possible they waited until after this tax season to repay their volunteers and such.. but I guess I'll have to wait to find out tomorrow.

Old 06-23-2019, 01:08 PM

3,259 posts, read 2,765,294 times
That volunteering check from over a year ago doesn't seem the likely culprit. Especially if it's not an employer and not even going through or reported to DOL, taxes taken out etc. How would they (UI) even know about a check mailed to you from an organization if it's not tied to your SS#?

I'm going more with what Chyvan said on maybe potential employers you interviewed for.

I guess tomorrow you might be lucky enough to get through and get your answer. Remember less is best on the phone.

post back what you find out, since I'm in NJ also and always like to know what the "quirks" in the system are. LOL

Old 06-23-2019, 02:11 PM

Yeah I will give them a call in the morning. I haven't had an interview or spoken to anyone in the past few weeks to be honest, I'm always uploading my resume to sites, I'll get a lot of garbage temp job positions that I ignore. I've learned not to answer those agencies that are either halfway across the country or overseas... I just don't trust 99% of them. But nothing in the past month (sadly) that could have put me into any system or anything... the last interview I had face to face was the end of March, maybe April.. and I thought it went well until the guy said he couldn't afford to bring me on after 2-3 weeks of hoping I had something. I even offered to work for a little less, the guy just seemed like he wasn't even in charge... Sort of glad that didn't work out since the place seemed sloppy.

I'll call ASAP in the morning and ask simply "Why am I seeing this.. I have not returned to work.." and just hope to get a response. They can't say I've exhausted the available funds, since it states that there is more than enough on their site to probably extend me for another month... which should be about accurate around 3 weeks, maybe even more. And I am at exactly 22 weeks, this would have been the 23rd...

I agree the less you say the better, but I really do not have much to say to begin with other than my question lol. I know it'd only be for 2-3+ more weeks but anything helps, especially now. If my time is really "up" I am hoping I could extend, which they probably won't... but I want my full 26 weeks, not 22!

Thanks for the support, I'll certainly post back to document what happens... God forbid the club I volunteered at did something, but like you said.. I never filled out a W2, wasn't a worker or staff member, not even sure those positions exist anymore since things have changed a lot in the past 15 years when it comes to youth sports and coaches.

Aren't you always supposed to get your 26 weeks.. Even if there are more Funds available in the account after the 26 weeks.. Can they do an extension? I know it has to due with the unemployment rate and I believe it isn't at it's low quota or whatever at the current time. I had worked for 5-6 years straight for mainly only 2 employers.. I was let go in 01/19 earlier this year due to the company cutting back and lay offs, both a family member and I were both let go that worked there... no questions asked we were given our Unemployment Insurance. It was easier for me since I had an old account and was surprised how quickly it let me claim and collect.... I just want my last 2-3 weeks (unless someone hires me out of the blue or I get a really big check I didn't know I was getting heh)..... Guess I will know tomorrow. Just seems strange it wouldn't say "You've exhausted your UI by meeting the 26 weeks or not enough funds..".

Old 06-23-2019, 03:20 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,968,136 times
A "Return to Work" is as Chyvan stated, normally triggered when your info was processed through the New Hire Database by an employer. It could have been a mistake or maybe your the victim of identity theft and don't know it yet.

Old 06-23-2019, 04:12 PM

Hmmm now that's scary. I'm 99.9% sure it wasn't anyone running me through a new Hire database... just not possible, not if I was able to collect last weekend.. then get the "error" today. Haven't spoken to anyone or did anything in the past week that would change anything.

As for Identify Theft I truly hope not. I am very careful with personal information, I'm not sure who would have access to such information.. if it was a mistake or identify theft I hope they at least have some type of logical answer if I get in touch with someone tomorrow.

I hope they can tell me "Who I've returned to work for...", They (NJ UI) should know who "paid" me if they stopped my Unemployment. That would clear things up right away, and if it is a mistake or god forbid identify theft I hope they can resolve whatever issues and allow my last 2-3 weeks I am entitled to.

Yikes if they say I returned to work somewhere incredibly strange and I know it's BS I hope they believe me. Ugh I really hope that's not the case...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment