Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2012, 11:22 AM

25,576 posts, read 56,455,902 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSRAZStuntDriver View Post
Well I am a full time student at the University of Phoenix. I am taking online classes for Environmental science. I got laid off 14 weeks ago and applied for unemployment exactly 9 weeks ago. I have not heard anything from unemployment office. It is impossible to call their customer service because apparently there is no customer service. I called 10 times everyday for the past 5 weeks and have not got through. I found it it is now a minimum of 10 weeks to process, not 4-6 as their website says. Misleading information. I will be dammed if I will not get unemployment because I am a student. I already am starving because I was denied food stamps because I am a student.

WTF, Students can't eat? Makes no sense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebunny View Post
You can get unemployment while a student. I managed it. You are already going to UoP...all you have to do is tell EDD that your school will not interfere with work as you can do the school work literally 24 hours per day. EDD is concerned that you are looking for work and that you will accept work, other than that they don't care what you will do with your time.

As for not hearing in this long, that is weird. It should have taken the 4-6 weeks, and this is including the phone interview. When I was laid off (long story and due to en employer error I had a phone interview) I filed on 2-29, had the phone interview on 3-15 and received my first checks by the end of March and this is with an employer incorrectly stating I quit instead of was laid off so there was an eligibility issue created through VERY different facts from me and my employer and it still took within the 4-6 weeks. Did you receive the notice of claim filed and the determination? Did you get the continued claim forms? Is it possible you were sent info about a phone interview that you did not receive? Have you tried sending them an email to find out what is going on with your claim? As for calling, it takes more than 10 times per day. Getting benefits, especially at the beginning, is a full time job.

Also, while irritating, I advise making a phone call for the initial interview. It gets a better response time when you can tell them they were the ones who made the error. I have noticed that emails in which I mention an issue with how the claim is handled on their end are answered MUCH faster than questions or issues I have. If you file online, you could have missed something. If you talk to someone, they are the ones responsible for getting all the info in the correct spaces. Also, I know in California and I am guessing in other states as well, your claim starts on the Sunday of the week you file, so if you start calling Monday but don;t get anyone until Friday, it still counts like you called at the beginning of the week.
You are in California. California is one of the very best for response times in everything. The California experience is no way relevant to someone claiming in AZ (or COL, or PA).

The Arizona/Colorado (not sure which state DSRAZ is claiming from since this is a COL thread) - either state is NOT GOOD on response times. Those states are in the business of discouraging anyone from collecting benefits and employ hurdles designed to do just that.

For about the fifth time, I'll say it again. California is one of the very best states in which to be a UE claimant. There isn't another state that is as responsive. I suppose having TWO MILLION CLAIMANTS has something to do with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2012, 11:29 AM

4,400 posts, read 13,390,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
You are in California. California is one of the very best for response times in everything. The California experience is no way relevant to someone claiming in AZ (or COL, or PA).

The Arizona/Colorado (not sure which state DSRAZ is claiming from since this is a COL thread) - either state is NOT GOOD on response times. Those states are in the business of discouraging anyone from collecting benefits and employ hurdles designed to do just that.

For about the fifth time, I'll say it again. California is one of the very best states in which to be a UE claimant. There isn't another state that is as responsive. I suppose having TWO MILLION CLAIMANTS has something to do with it.
My experience with being in California is exactly the opposite. My best friend is in Colorado (which is why I knew the school answer) and he and I lost our jobs within about a week of each other. He had already filed, had his benefits and was approved for benefits with the training provision and I was still waiting for a response from EDD. And he was fired. I was laid off....so with all due respect I do not feel that you are correct that Colorado is so much more difficult that California.

Old 05-13-2012, 11:35 AM

Well, you are reporting one experience. We've had plenty of other reports on stalling, no responses to emails, phone calls, refusal to apply HR4213 on to keep claimant on higher benefits. COL is FAR from claimant-friendly.

Again, keep in mind, COL has 245,000 unemployed. California has over 2,000,000 unemployed. California does a bang-up job given their numbers.

Old 05-13-2012, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
Well, you are reporting one experience. We've had plenty of other reports on stalling, no responses to emails, phone calls, refusal to apply HR4213 on to keep claimant on higher benefits. COL is FAR from claimant-friendly.
And my advice to the poster was based on that experience. I am sorry that my experience is not, in your opinion, enough to make my experience relevant.

Old 05-19-2012, 04:18 AM

6 posts, read 46,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebunny View Post
You can get unemployment while a student. I managed it. You are already going to UoP...all you have to do is tell EDD that your school will not interfere with work as you can do the school work literally 24 hours per day. EDD is concerned that you are looking for work and that you will accept work, other than that they don't care what you will do with your time.

As for not hearing in this long, that is weird. It should have taken the 4-6 weeks, and this is including the phone interview. When I was laid off (long story and due to en employer error I had a phone interview) I filed on 2-29, had the phone interview on 3-15 and received my first checks by the end of March and this is with an employer incorrectly stating I quit instead of was laid off so there was an eligibility issue created through VERY different facts from me and my employer and it still took within the 4-6 weeks. Did you receive the notice of claim filed and the determination? Did you get the continued claim forms? Is it possible you were sent info about a phone interview that you did not receive? Have you tried sending them an email to find out what is going on with your claim? As for calling, it takes more than 10 times per day. Getting benefits, especially at the beginning, is a full time job.

Also, while irritating, I advise making a phone call for the initial interview. It gets a better response time when you can tell them they were the ones who made the error. I have noticed that emails in which I mention an issue with how the claim is handled on their end are answered MUCH faster than questions or issues I have. If you file online, you could have missed something. If you talk to someone, they are the ones responsible for getting all the info in the correct spaces. Also, I know in California and I am guessing in other states as well, your claim starts on the Sunday of the week you file, so if you start calling Monday but don;t get anyone until Friday, it still counts like you called at the beginning of the week.
I have not received any letter in the mail. I have not gotten a phone call either. I recently messed up on the cubline. You are supposed to ask for payment every two weeks. I accidently asked for payment a day early which automatically closed my benefits. Now I am missing 3 weeks. My next request is on the 27th. This Sunday will be 10 weeks exactly. I still can't get through. I went to the local WorkForce Center on Tusday and it was 11pm. She said they only have 1 rep from Denver and they were booked until next Tuesday. She said arrive around 5am, doors open at 7am first come first serve. She said good luck with that also.

Old 05-19-2012, 05:38 AM

Wow. I would say that at this point, your best option is to try to see the rep in person. I know getting up that early is awful, but if that is the only way to speak with someone and get a resolution, that is what you will have to do! Hopefully it works out for you.

Old 05-19-2012, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSRAZStuntDriver View Post
I have not received any letter in the mail. I have not gotten a phone call either. I recently messed up on the cubline. You are supposed to ask for payment every two weeks. I accidently asked for payment a day early which automatically closed my benefits. Now I am missing 3 weeks. My next request is on the 27th. This Sunday will be 10 weeks exactly. I still can't get through. I went to the local WorkForce Center on Tusday and it was 11pm. She said they only have 1 rep from Denver and they were booked until next Tuesday. She said arrive around 5am, doors open at 7am first come first serve. She said good luck with that also.
You might want to DM aaronmb who has been posting on this thread:

Colorado denied EUC thrid claim

He, at least, has had some success reaching COL on the phone. I don't think his situation is resolved, as yet, but he might be able to help you in getting through on the phones.

Old 05-22-2012, 05:50 AM

I finaly got through on the phone. I think they block your number or social security number from getting through. I was on hold for 3.5 hours listening to classical music. That sucked. She told me that she can't help me because it now takes 12 weeks before she is even allowed to email the boss. She said in two weeks I should get a letter of decision since my employer said I was fired which isn't true. I failed a random drug test and it was a false positive. I had second test and I was clean. I paid for second on my own. So I am still waiting and I will let you know the outcome.

Old 05-22-2012, 12:26 PM

Thanks for update. They don't make it easy. Of course, that is the goal.

Old 05-29-2012, 08:06 PM

Default Unemployment

I have a quick question. I just got an ammended tax return. Does this count towards income on unemployment? I am not sure if it needs to be reported or not, Still waiting for unemployment though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment