Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2024, 07:20 PM

749 posts, read 487,951 times

Advertisements

We’re watching Shogun on Hulu and there are no commercials at all. That’s too bad about Disney. I wouldn’t like that at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2024, 10:01 AM

32,741 posts, read 48,376,508 times
Advertising problem solved. I've got hulu through my cell phone plan but never got signed in. I got the account set up and Shogun is available there without commercials. Thank goodness, because it is a great show but the commercials were way out of line and made watching it miserable.

Old 04-01-2024, 08:33 AM

1,222 posts, read 556,737 times
Watched episode 1 last night and liked it. I usually like historical stuff/historical fiction using real historical figures and tossing in some fiction. When I was a kid I remember that the book Shogun was a huge hit. The writer James Clavell was Australian born British and during WW2 was a POW in Japan. He was an epic screenwriter then novelist.

Old 04-03-2024, 04:25 PM

9,915 posts, read 9,644,599 times
I tried to watch it again, this time the last episode, since i know the story. However, again, I could not get into it.

I think Shogun, for me, means the 1970's series with Richard Chamberlain, and a remake just is like watching another Japanese movie. I dont even like the characters! I think the one who was supposed to be Toranaga was too skinny and i just turned it off.

Old 04-06-2024, 07:25 AM

14,739 posts, read 14,729,766 times
It’s a slow burn but I’m really enjoying it. The acting, script and scenery are all magnificent.

Old 04-06-2024, 07:41 AM

12,439 posts, read 8,236,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
I tried to watch it again, this time the last episode, since i know the story. However, again, I could not get into it.

I think Shogun, for me, means the 1970's series with Richard Chamberlain, and a remake just is like watching another Japanese movie. I dont even like the characters! I think the one who was supposed to be Toranaga was too skinny and i just turned it off.
I think that as in 1980 the 2024 version has the Japanese actor who is along with Ken Watanabe, probably most well know by this generation of Americans. The lead focus has shifted from Richard Chamberlain's Anjin to Hiroyuki Sanada's Lord Toranaga.

I am not hearing many comparisons to 1980, however many are commenting about how this adaptation, perhaps to correct Clavell's interpretation of Japan, is going in different directions than the 1975 novel.

I think the weekly schedule gives us time to think and talk about the show compared to 1980 when you went all in and bought a 3 pack of VHS tapes or missed out.

Old 04-06-2024, 12:37 PM

23,506 posts, read 19,222,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
I think that as in 1980 the 2024 version has the Japanese actor who is along with Ken Watanabe, probably most well know by this generation of Americans. The lead focus has shifted from Richard Chamberlain's Anjin to Hiroyuki Sanada's Lord Toranaga.
A good thing IMHO. Helps reinforce the concept that circumstances beyond his control just dumped Blackthorn into the middle of a more complex situation than he realizes. Enhances the sense of alienation and being constantly at risk of death. He's more of a powerless bystander at least at first. Sure, he does end up influencing matters but he's a pawn, not the central mover/shaker Toranaga is. The sense that Toranaga's true intent is never totally revealed to anyone, even by the end of the plot, is stronger. As for the actor portraying Toranaga being too skinny? Please. The performance is what matters, not his weight, but I'd imagine someone as personally disciplined as the military and political campaigner Toranaga is would always be lean, spare, and physically ready. Expecting someone of that culture to be portrayed by a modern day, overfed, muscle-bound gym rat wouldn't work at all.

Last edited by Parnassia; 04-06-2024 at 12:56 PM..

Old 04-10-2024, 05:06 AM

5,024 posts, read 10,741,107 times
I never watched the Shogun miniseries from the 80’s, so I have nothing to compare this series to but I am really liking it so far. Episode 8 was amazing.

I know that the current Shogun is a “miniseries”… does that mean that there are only a few episodes left until it reaches its conclusion?

Old 04-10-2024, 06:21 AM

12,439 posts, read 8,236,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
I never watched the Shogun miniseries from the 80’s, so I have nothing to compare this series to but I am really liking it so far. Episode 8 was amazing.

I know that the current Shogun is a “miniseries”… does that mean that there are only a few episodes left until it reaches its conclusion?
It is a 10 episode miniseries. People calling for another season are in three camps, do another Clavell novel, follow the Shogun story and surviving characters into the beginnings of Japan's peaceful period or have these producers pick another subject for another American audience 10 hour, versus a Japanese 49 hour taiga drama.

Old 04-10-2024, 06:41 AM

45,579 posts, read 60,955,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
It is a 10 episode miniseries. People calling for another season are in three camps, do another Clavell novel, follow the Shogun story and surviving characters into the beginnings of Japan's peaceful period or have these producers pick another subject for another American audience 10 hour, versus a Japanese 49 hour taiga drama.
This cry for a second season reminds me of a couple years ago with Lovecraft Country. The story was told in the series but people didn't seem to "get" it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV