Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2024, 09:49 AM

3,465 posts, read 4,838,177 times

Advertisements

I never ever book the non-refundable rates nor do I book at one that requires a one night deposit on the room. Plans can change, things come up such as family emergencies or just life gets in the way sometimes. There are plenty of hotel options in most destinations so I just do not do it. I also look at the parking charges. Some of those are absurd and I immediately rule those hotels out as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2024, 10:41 AM

6,704 posts, read 5,930,570 times
I just booked a prepaid hotel (there was no other option and that was the best location) as part of a Southwest Airlines itinerary about 3 weeks ago. Unfortunately, that very same day, there was a death in the family and I had to cancel. The Southwest airfare was easy; it was points, and they went right back into my account. The car was not prepaid, cancelled instantly.

The La Quinta hotel however... even though I cancelled just a few hours later, on the same day as I booked it, they refused to refund. Technically they are correct - the policy is "no refunds". But they should still do customers the courtesy of reversing the charge in the case of an emergency cancellation. I spent many hours on the phone, La Quinta rep claimed (among other things) that I had in fact checked in and stayed there, which was a total lie, refused to put the hotel manager on the phone, I called Wyndham Corp. and they couldn't do anything, called Southwest hotel concierge who finally after hours said I could get 2 out of 3 days refunded. Two weeks later, haven't received a cent.

NEVER prepay your hotel, if you value your flexibility. Also, ALWAYS fly Southwest, which doesn't charge you a penalty for changing your itinerary, doesn't charge for checked luggage (2 pieces), doesn't charge for carry on.

Old 02-20-2024, 08:41 PM

382 posts, read 365,451 times
I have seen this trend too.

I pay the up fee for the refundable rooms just in case my plans change. I just consider it an insurance policy.

I do the same with rental cars.

I try to look for flights with no-change fees.

Old 02-21-2024, 07:53 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,568 posts, read 81,147,605 times
I always book with the lower non-refundable price if the stay is only 1-3 days in a regular motel such as Quality Inn or Roadway. The chances of cancellation are low and I'd only be out a few hundred. If a week or more, or a more expensive resort type hotel it's worth paying the extra to be able to cancel.

Old 02-21-2024, 10:54 AM

232 posts, read 143,398 times
I usually book hotels refundable, but buy nonrefundable flight tickets.
The price differences in hotels are not very much, but the price differences between refundable and nonrefundable flight tickets can be a lot.

Old 02-21-2024, 10:57 AM

232 posts, read 143,398 times
Many apartment or private rooms on booking.com are nonrefundable.

Old 02-21-2024, 10:57 AM

50,367 posts, read 63,948,892 times
Never. When you’re in your 70s you never know.

Old 02-24-2024, 03:29 PM

539 posts, read 393,513 times
For hotels I pay extra and get the refundable rate.

For vacation rentals usually you can only get a refund 30 days in advance, so you are taking a bigger risk. If risks are more than you want, you can always get travel insurance. There is even cancel for any reason insurance that refunds 75% of non refundable items. I bought that last year for an 11 day trip to Paris and Belfast.

Old 02-24-2024, 04:57 PM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 21 hours ago)

27,163 posts, read 13,449,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy884 View Post
For hotels I pay extra and get the refundable rate.

For vacation rentals usually you can only get a refund 30 days in advance, so you are taking a bigger risk. If risks are more than you want, you can always get travel insurance. There is even cancel for any reason insurance that refunds 75% of non refundable items. I bought that last year for an 11 day trip to Paris and Belfast.

The law is different outside of the US, and I think hotels are only really entitled to keep money related to actual losses, so if you give them forewarning and they manage to find alternative paying guests for the room that you were due to stay in, then they should only really keep the amount they were genuinely out of pocket such as administrative fees, rather than charging you for the room and securing two payments from two sets of guests for the same room, as that would be an unfair practice and would not adhere to Consumer Rights legislation.

Also in terms of some other countries hotels such as in the UK "It's illegal to advertise a price that doesn't include all unavoidable charges and you usually have a legal choice whether to pay for 'extras', so hotels should not just present you with a list of hidden unexpected costs in relation to your final bill or in relation to on-line bookings.

Credit card charges (and other such hidden charges) are also now illegal in the UK, whilst Credit card payments are generally covered by ‘section 75’ of the Consumer Credit Act, which means the credit card company has equal responsibility (or ‘liability’) and this often means that the credit card company will be legally involved on your side in such matters if there is a issue with goods or services paid for by credit card.

The new Digital Markets, Competition and Consumer Bill (DMCC) aims to further strengthen consumer protection in relation to hidden internet charges and on-line fake reviews.

Last edited by Brave New World; 02-24-2024 at 05:19 PM..

Old 02-25-2024, 04:10 PM

27,560 posts, read 28,652,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
Will you book a non-refundable rate and are you paying in advance for your reservation?
I've done it before.

Saved some money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel