Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2022, 06:48 AM

125 posts, read 197,786 times

Advertisements

We are looking at the Tallahassee area for a relocation from Boca Raton, the sixth borough of New York City.

Most of the lakes are much smaller than their previous boundaries as noted on satellite pictures or they are covered in some kind of green growth.

Thanks for any local scoop.

Last edited by GolfMomTN; 06-28-2022 at 07:26 AM.. Reason: Didn’t finish original question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2022, 07:15 AM

13,611 posts, read 7,911,419 times
They're full of water.

Old 06-28-2022, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
They're full of water.
Well, not all of them. I have looked at several satellite pictures where the exiting boundary is much smaller than previously noted. And there is some horrible overgrowth and the satellite pictures show the boat trails actually on the lake’s surface attempting to navigate through the growth.

Old 06-28-2022, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GolfMomTN View Post
Well, not all of them. I have looked at several satellite pictures where the exiting boundary is much smaller than previously noted. And there is some horrible overgrowth and the satellite pictures show the boat trails actually on the lake’s surface attempting to navigate through the growth.
Thanks for clarifying your question.

You must be referring to Lake Jackson. Sinkholes develop underneath it and drain the lake. It replenishes itself to some extent with rainfall until the next dry spell. It's a process that has been going on in that particular lake for hundreds of years.

Lake Jackson Aquatic Preserve

Old 06-28-2022, 07:39 AM

Thank you! So buying lakefront might not always be lakefront!

Do you have any idea about the green growth that covers some of the lakes such as found in Lake Lamonia?

Old 06-28-2022, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Thank you! Do you have any idea about the extensive green growth in, for example, Lake Lamonia?
Iamonia is a very shallow lake, and I would guess it's mostly floating vegetation, grasses, and reeds.

Old 06-28-2022, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Thank you! So buying lakefront might not always be lakefront!
Definitely not on Lake Jackson.

Old 07-03-2022, 06:44 AM

16 posts, read 23,906 times
Some of the lakes are more swamp than lake. And living on a swamp is not terrible if you appreciate wildlife. We have an abundance of swampy prairie lakes that are pleasant to look at but not useful for a full range of recreation. Lake Seminole and Lake Talquin are the two large recreational lakes for motor boating, skiing, fishing.

Lake Iamonia (pronounced: Eye Ammonia) . I've never understood why those homes are such a bargain and chalk it up to remoteness. The traffic congestion on 319 is only worsening as one housing development after another is constructed. I work out at Southwood and during peak drive time suspect that it take around an hour to get from Iamonia to Southwood.

Lake Hall is the most pristine lake in Tallahassee and is surrounded by homes offered at over 1 million.

Lake Ella is a former sinkhole that is now a small and centrally located lake for viewing only. The homes around the lake are pricey because of it's great location. The problem is the encampments of individuals experiencing mental health and/or drug misuse.

I personally find Lake Bradford stunningly beautiful but the location is not appealing.

Lake Miccosukee is another beautiful lake in a remote area to the east of Tallahassee.

Lake Jackson is great for bass fishing and the Lake Shore neighborhood is nice, a good location, but expensive for lake front homes. As mentioned previously it drains and dries up occasionally.

There are smaller lakes that I would call a pond but I suppose by definition they qualify as lakes. You pay more for the homes that sit on these bodies of water but at least you won't have someone living behind you. I personally would worry about the snakes, gators, and mosquitos.

Personally I would use my money to have a whole house generator or Tesla wall for extended power outages. You get a brand new perspective after a small storm comes through, knocks a bunch of the trees over and live without power for a month. I live in Killearn and have gone through three storms in the last eight years that resulted in no power for over 20 days. Areas outside of Leon County have gone months without power following hurricanes. (Get the whole house generator!!)

Old 07-04-2022, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzebee View Post
Some of the lakes are more swamp than lake. And living on a swamp is not terrible if you appreciate wildlife. We have an abundance of swampy prairie lakes that are pleasant to look at but not useful for a full range of recreation. Lake Seminole and Lake Talquin are the two large recreational lakes for motor boating, skiing, fishing.

Lake Iamonia (pronounced: Eye Ammonia) . I've never understood why those homes are such a bargain and chalk it up to remoteness. The traffic congestion on 319 is only worsening as one housing development after another is constructed. I work out at Southwood and during peak drive time suspect that it take around an hour to get from Iamonia to Southwood.

Lake Hall is the most pristine lake in Tallahassee and is surrounded by homes offered at over 1 million.

Lake Ella is a former sinkhole that is now a small and centrally located lake for viewing only. The homes around the lake are pricey because of it's great location. The problem is the encampments of individuals experiencing mental health and/or drug misuse.

I personally find Lake Bradford stunningly beautiful but the location is not appealing.

Lake Miccosukee is another beautiful lake in a remote area to the east of Tallahassee.

Lake Jackson is great for bass fishing and the Lake Shore neighborhood is nice, a good location, but expensive for lake front homes. As mentioned previously it drains and dries up occasionally.

There are smaller lakes that I would call a pond but I suppose by definition they qualify as lakes. You pay more for the homes that sit on these bodies of water but at least you won't have someone living behind you. I personally would worry about the snakes, gators, and mosquitos.

Personally I would use my money to have a whole house generator or Tesla wall for extended power outages. You get a brand new perspective after a small storm comes through, knocks a bunch of the trees over and live without power for a month. I live in Killearn and have gone through three storms in the last eight years that resulted in no power for over 20 days. Areas outside of Leon County have gone months without power following hurricanes. (Get the whole house generator!!)
Thank you for a most informative post! We have been looking at lakefront property and I just couldn’t wrap my head around the premium these homes would command when the lakefront looks horrible even with a bit of water. As for the need for a generator, we live in South Florida and, after power loss for 12 days after the 2005 hurricanes, I told my husband it was either a whole house generator or a move back to Texas!

Old 07-04-2022, 09:38 AM

2,529 posts, read 1,860,003 times
Seems like most lakes are privately owned so you can't get to them anyway unless you live on it or something. Our natural resources have been cut off and sold.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee