Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2022, 10:17 AM

33,323 posts, read 12,498,936 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
Yeah, but the Logitech's battery doesn't wear down very fast/doesn't need charging very often.

Additionally, after charging the iPad back up, I can just move the cord down to the Logitech and then switch back, up and down (both ports on the right side), topping each off.

^^^^^ Although the new M1 Macbook Air isn't quite as portable as either an iPad or a Surface, the above is (generally) one of the reasons I'll replace my new in 2016 Macbook Air with a new M1 Macbook Air before I would consider replacing my new in 2019 12.9 Cellular iPad Pro with a new M1 iPad Pro.

Among other things, back when I posted the bolded, I don't think I realized at that point that the full size of my full to the 100,000 item limit Apple Music subscription, when downloaded, would be over 1 TB.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2022, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
Chromebooks are so yesterday.

Here is what I do on my IPAD on a almost DAILY basis.

Listen to the radio.

Watch TV.

Check E-mail, and text messages.

Read the Wall Street Journal, Sky and Telescope, NorthWest Fly Fishing. I prefer reading magazines on the IPAD to a hard copy.

Read books and magazines from the library. I would rather read a book on the IPAD. I wish books and magazines had tablet editions that take advantage of a computer.

I file all my manuals for radios, camera's etc. etc. on the IPAD so I can access them when needed.

Listen to my CD's on the IPAD. Now that ITUNES is gone, I need to figure out how to do this AGAIN.

Run cheap astronomy, birding, and other science programs. Don't buy expensive ones!!! They quit working after a couple of years when IOS is updated!!

I have a Canon Camera and can use the IPAD as a monitor that displays the picture I have just taken or the Live View Display.

I take still and video's with it like pickleball matches and play them back for participants.

I download USGS and Forest Service, BLM maps for hiking and hunting. They are geo-referenced so show my location on the map.

I use satellite imagery and download to the tablet.

I have an app that controls my telescope mount. It is much easier than using a hand paddle!!!

Those the primary things I do with the IPAD. I think you can do much of it with a chromebook, but on a lot of days I am outside of internet or even cell service. So the chromebook would not work in those cases, plus it is a lot more difficult to carry outside.
Yep.

I use my 12.9 inch iPad every day, and I'm sure, going forward, I'll use both that 12.9 and the new to me 11" every day.

Old 12-13-2022, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
Thanks.

That’s good to know.

More indication that what will work best re what’s next for me = an M chip MacBook Air.

One of the things on my Pro/Like list re the M chip MacBook Air is that the power adapter that comes with it/is designed to go with it = only 30 watts.

IIRC, the Belkin USB-C 12v adapter I have is rated to 36 watts, so I’m thinking that should be sufficient to work properly/optimally re charging the M chip MacBook Air.

I’ve never tried to charge my new in 2016 MacBook Air in my car but, irrespective of buying anything else, I’d have to buy at least a 12v inverter with an AC plug (the power adapter has an AC plug, and is 45w) and, with the battery health at 80%.......I’d rather allocate those dollars towards a new M chip MacBook Air instead.
Now I wont have to change anything re car charging .

I'll be able to charge the new to me 11" M1 iPad Pro in the car the same way as I now charge my 12.9 iPad Pro.

I now don't foresee needing to get a new Mac laptop in the near future.

Old 12-13-2022, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I guess it depends on what you are looking for.

I had a lower end iPad this time last year. The last place it was detected was on a bridge over the James River in Richmond, VA. My guess is that I left it on top of the car, drove off, and it hit the river.

I got a company bonus of about $600 a few months later. I bought a 12.9" iPad Pro to replace the old iPad with the bonus money.

That iPad Pro has completely taken the place of any personal laptop functions. I got a Logitech case/keyboard combo. The keyboard pairs silently over BT while I tilt the iPad into typing position. I do C-D posts from it. Lots of Word and copyedit stuff I do as small side jobs. I play hours of Hearthstone from it weekly.
The last phone I remember losing, I assume the same..

That was back in 2010, and I happened to be in Austin at night.

Once I realized I didn't have it, I pulled off of I-35 and turned the car upside down. No luck. Then I drove back to the parking lot I had started driving from. No luck.

Fortunately it was a cheap flip phone. Likely slid off the roof of the car and into the bushes/shrubbery on the edge of the parking lot, or (less likely given the specific parameters) onto the lot and someone picked it up.

Old 03-10-2023, 07:05 AM

7,326 posts, read 12,327,602 times
I just bought my parents a 128GB Lenovo M10 Plus 3rd Gen. I got a great deal on it (128GB for $169) Seems to be a pretty good tablet. Here is my comparison between it and the Samsung Galaxy Tab A8.

The good:
  • Performance is on par with the Samsung Galaxy Tab A8.
  • Runs near-stock Android instead of One UI Core, which may be good for some who prefer stock Android.
  • Has somewhat better battery life.
  • Has a higher-resolution IPS screen.

The bad:
  • Only comes in two colors - Gray and Blue, the latter only available at Best Buy in the United States.
  • Gives less control over the Material You color palette than the Samsung Galaxy Tab A8.
  • Far fewer accessories are available for this tablet than the Samsung Galaxy Tab A8.
  • Has an inferior update policy compared to Samsung.

Old 05-28-2023, 04:34 PM

7,326 posts, read 12,327,602 times
I decided to give in and buy myself a new Samsung Galaxy Tab S8+ in Pink Gold on Amazon's sale last Friday. My Tab A8 was okay, but compared to my phone after a while it was clear that I can notice a difference in performance. With my new Tab S8+ I won't have to upgrade for years now. Plus I get four major Android updates instead of two vs. my A8. Already sold my A8 on Mercari today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets