Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Supplements
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 07:37 PM

791 posts, read 2,958,123 times

Advertisements

For those of you that have had your gallbladder removed did your doctor recommend a daily supplement to help with digestion?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2008, 08:50 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,687,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwhiteblue View Post
For those of you that have had your gallbladder removed did your doctor recommend a daily supplement to help with digestion?
Nope. it's been 8 years now, and I don't notice any difference. If any supplements are needed, I wasn't told.

Old 04-16-2008, 08:57 PM

713 posts, read 2,716,544 times
i had mine removed when I had my liver transplant. Nothing was ever prescribed for not having a gallbladder, but I have read on other forums that some ppl who have had their gallbladders removed have problems. You might try Googling "problems after gallbladder surgery."

Also, you can purchase oxbile salts at Walmart, if you feel that you need them. I bought some labeled "Digestive Enzymes."

Old 04-16-2008, 09:30 PM
tao

721 posts, read 3,188,545 times
No, I had mine out a little over a year ago and I haven't needed any supplements nor was I prescribed anything. I have had a few bouts of serious pain from cramping and needing to go to the bathroom when I've eaten too much heavy, rich food, especially dairy. It hasn't happened often but when it has it was when I was out and therefore needed to use a public restroom (which I'm squeamish about already, just having to pee).

Sorry to be gross here...but some people who have their gallbladders removed experience rapid and crampy digestion causing diarrhea (when eating rich foods) more frequently and it's a real problem but for me it's been relatively fine. If you eat healthy foods and avoid rich foods, especially heavy dairy-rich foods, you shouldn't have a problem.

Old 04-17-2008, 05:06 AM

3,859 posts, read 10,324,295 times
Quote:
No my doctor did not. However, I have had some health issues since having my gallbladder and a huge stone removed from my bile duct(after 3 tries).

I am just curious about your question redwhiteblue-did your doctor prescribe it for you? Is that why you ask?

Nicolem

Old 04-17-2008, 06:16 AM

2,203 posts, read 5,082,946 times
I never heard it either...I had mine out many years ago, and my daughter just had her's out on Tuesday!

Old 04-17-2008, 06:36 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,687,867 times
And, unfortunately, I love those rich dairy foods, and have no problem with those, either.

Old 04-17-2008, 07:53 AM

1,016 posts, read 4,540,967 times
Nope, I was never prescribed any supplements when I had mine out a year and a half ago.

I do occasionally experience digestion problems with rich and heavy foods like tao describes, though.

But I would take that over the pain my gallbladder was causing me any day!

Old 04-17-2008, 09:31 AM

791 posts, read 2,958,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolem View Post
No my doctor did not. However, I have had some health issues since having my gallbladder and a huge stone removed from my bile duct(after 3 tries).

I am just curious about your question redwhiteblue-did your doctor prescribe it for you? Is that why you ask?

Nicolem
No my Dr. didn't either but I have heard other people say that they were told to take a supplement to help with digestion.
I just wanted to make sure I wasn't out of the loop

Old 04-17-2008, 09:56 AM

3,859 posts, read 10,324,295 times
Quote:
No my Dr. didn't either but I have heard other people say that they were told to take a supplement to help with digestion.
I just wanted to make sure I wasn't out of the loop
Thanks Your post had me curious.

Nicolem
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Supplements