Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > St. George
 [Register]
St. George Washington County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2022, 03:24 PM

16 posts, read 39,813 times

Advertisements

Hi all -

We are considering a move here in the near future. We are considering parts of Arizona, Summerlin NV, and also St. George, but have a few questions..

1. How prevalent is the Mormon culture in St. George? We lived in Utah County several years back, and it was definitely prevalent is almost every aspect of life. Is there a large LDS community here?

2. How is crime in St. George? I've read several things online stating that it's safe with low violent crime rate, but I've also read some posts here saying that it's getting worse.. can any local please shed some light on this? Is it safe to take our young kids for walks in the neighborhood at night? Also, are there any areas to avoid?

3. How common are earthquakes here? Does St. George lie on any faults? I've heard people in the Salt Lake City area say it's just a matter of time before the big one hits. Does that apply to STG as well?

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2022, 02:16 PM

61 posts, read 89,814 times
There is a fairly large Mormon bias in St. George, but it's getting diluted with all the people moving here from other places.

Crime so far is still relatively minor but is growing due to the explosive growth - St. George is currently the fastest growing city in the US.

Earthquakes? Haven't heard of any happening in the 6 years I've lived here. Our bigger natural menace is wildfires. Way too many tourists are not careful with campfires and create problems every year. Also, smoke from out of state fires to the west of us make life unpleasant during the summers.

The biggest problem St. George is going to have is water. The state has been in an extreme drought situation for a while now and the future is not looking favorable. The idiot politicians have this ridiculous idea that they can pipe water from Lake Powell, which is at record lows and could not only have trouble supplying water, but also power from the Glen Canyon Dam if things don't change soon.

Old 07-30-2022, 02:58 PM

93 posts, read 95,730 times
There was an earthquake somewhere near St. George within the past year, but what I felt (living in St. George) was barely a hiccup. The only reason I knew there was an earthquake nearby was because I'm from L.A., so I know what they feel like - large and small - and I was sitting down at my desk. Had I been walking around, I wouldn't have noticed a thing, so don't let earthquake fears deter you.

Old 08-02-2022, 01:04 PM

2,619 posts, read 7,027,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCDoc54 View Post
There is a fairly large Mormon bias in St. George, but it's getting diluted with all the people moving here from other places.

Crime so far is still relatively minor but is growing due to the explosive growth - St. George is currently the fastest growing city in the US.

Earthquakes? Haven't heard of any happening in the 6 years I've lived here. Our bigger natural menace is wildfires. Way too many tourists are not careful with campfires and create problems every year. Also, smoke from out of state fires to the west of us make life unpleasant during the summers.

The biggest problem St. George is going to have is water. The state has been in an extreme drought situation for a while now and the future is not looking favorable. The idiot politicians have this ridiculous idea that they can pipe water from Lake Powell, which is at record lows and could not only have trouble supplying water, but also power from the Glen Canyon Dam if things don't change soon.
This also goes for all the other places OP mentioned. And it's a CERTAIN problem, not merely a possibility such as fires, crime and earthquakes. To the OP: I'd strongly suggestg doing some homework on the water issue if you haven't already. Increasingly people are preemptively leaving the desert SW (which includes Utah) for that reason. It's a trickle now but will become a flood. Just a matter of time.

Old 08-02-2022, 09:21 PM

2,471 posts, read 2,692,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kletter1mann View Post
This also goes for all the other places OP mentioned. And it's a CERTAIN problem, not merely a possibility such as fires, crime and earthquakes. To the OP: I'd strongly suggestg doing some homework on the water issue if you haven't already. Increasingly people are preemptively leaving the desert SW (which includes Utah) for that reason. It's a trickle now but will become a flood. Just a matter of time.
I can honestly say I know of no one who moved out of the southwest due to water. I can, however, point to dozens I know who moved to the SW for quality of life.

Old 08-03-2022, 06:28 AM

565 posts, read 470,434 times
To address the OP's question: There are a lot of LDS people, there is a lot of crime and the Hurricane Fault is nearby. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1992_S...rge_earthquake

Old 08-03-2022, 08:06 AM

325 posts, read 962,463 times
Just out of curiosity, what is the weather like in the St George vicinities. We're in Northern Utah and my wife is looking for a place that she/we can escape to a few times in the winter to break up the ski season, that would let her hang by and and swim in an outdoor pool. We'd want it to be a <6hr drive from SLC

I say there are none in Utah, probably not Nevada either. Am I wrong?

Old 08-03-2022, 02:01 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,848,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by altajoe View Post
Just out of curiosity, what is the weather like in the St George vicinities. We're in Northern Utah and my wife is looking for a place that she/we can escape to a few times in the winter to break up the ski season, that would let her hang by and and swim in an outdoor pool. We'd want it to be a <6hr drive from SLC

I say there are none in Utah, probably not Nevada either. Am I wrong?
I am not sure if there is any place in all of Utah, that has winter weather in the 70s during the day...
Even the high 60s are not that suitable to loaf around in your swimsuit... But that is just me.
Average winter temperatures there are in the low 60s at the best! More like the low 50s...

Last edited by irman; 08-03-2022 at 02:15 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > St. George