Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2021, 01:37 AM

62 posts, read 67,090 times

Advertisements

I'm living in Austin and was previously living in San Diego. No, not a rich Californian that's screwing up anyone's housing market, just a low-income apartment dweller that can't afford my own city anymore.

Austin is cool and I've tried really hard to be happy here, but it's hot, humid, buggy, bright, crowded, expensive and, well, it's in the middle of Texas. Things have been really hard since we moved here.

I've considered moving back to San Diego, but it's completely out of the realm of possibility cost-wise, and also I lived there during my entire teens and 20s, and I think I really wanted a change of pace. It's a beautiful climate and environment, but the city is so spread out and crowded. When covid first had everyone working from home, I was out making deliveries on empty freeways and it was a beautiful feeling. I'd love to live somewhere smaller and less crowded, but I'm also afraid that I won't like it, and I don't want to make a mistake of moving to the wrong city again.

Spokane seems appealing to me since I've always wanted to move to Washington for it's beautiful environment. BF hates rain so Seattle is out, which is what lead me to checking out Spokane. I like 4 seasons and I don't like intense sun, but I'm not sure how I'll feel after months of winter since I'm not used to it. I do like the snow though. It's nice that Spokane seems a lot smaller and less crowded, but still seems to have decent food choices. It might be hard for me to not have options for food at midnight, but then again even in San Diego, after 9pm on a weeknight, most of the options were fast food and Mexican food, so I'm sort of used to it. I don't do anything in the city, and haven't for years and years. Once in a blue moon I'd drive to LA to see a band play or watch basketball. Me and my BF are really into basketball and I've read that Spokane is also pretty big on bb? My hobbies pretty much consist of outdoor activities or at-home activities. I don't eat at restaurants or go to bars or local events. It seems like Spokane has everything I need in a city, without a lot of the big city stuff that's stressing me out currently. Also a big bonus that it seems so cheap and has a high minimum wage. It seems like a place that I could be content for a little while and maybe even save some money.

You guys think I would like it there? Would love to hear from anyone that moved from any big cities in the southwest. Also is seasonal affective disorder a problem there like it is in PNW?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2021, 08:48 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,463,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UhaulAholic View Post
I'm living in Austin and was previously living in San Diego. No, not a rich Californian that's screwing up anyone's housing market, just a low-income apartment dweller that can't afford my own city anymore.

Austin is cool and I've tried really hard to be happy here, but it's hot, humid, buggy, bright, crowded, expensive and, well, it's in the middle of Texas. Things have been really hard since we moved here.

I've considered moving back to San Diego, but it's completely out of the realm of possibility cost-wise, and also I lived there during my entire teens and 20s, and I think I really wanted a change of pace. It's a beautiful climate and environment, but the city is so spread out and crowded. When covid first had everyone working from home, I was out making deliveries on empty freeways and it was a beautiful feeling. I'd love to live somewhere smaller and less crowded, but I'm also afraid that I won't like it, and I don't want to make a mistake of moving to the wrong city again.

Spokane seems appealing to me since I've always wanted to move to Washington for it's beautiful environment. BF hates rain so Seattle is out, which is what lead me to checking out Spokane. I like 4 seasons and I don't like intense sun, but I'm not sure how I'll feel after months of winter since I'm not used to it. I do like the snow though. It's nice that Spokane seems a lot smaller and less crowded, but still seems to have decent food choices. It might be hard for me to not have options for food at midnight, but then again even in San Diego, after 9pm on a weeknight, most of the options were fast food and Mexican food, so I'm sort of used to it. I don't do anything in the city, and haven't for years and years. Once in a blue moon I'd drive to LA to see a band play or watch basketball. Me and my BF are really into basketball and I've read that Spokane is also pretty big on bb? My hobbies pretty much consist of outdoor activities or at-home activities. I don't eat at restaurants or go to bars or local events. It seems like Spokane has everything I need in a city, without a lot of the big city stuff that's stressing me out currently. Also a big bonus that it seems so cheap and has a high minimum wage. It seems like a place that I could be content for a little while and maybe even save some money.

You guys think I would like it there? Would love to hear from anyone that moved from any big cities in the southwest. Also is seasonal affective disorder a problem there like it is in PNW?
Alot to unpack here. To be upfront, I'm a resident of the Vancouver, WA/Portland area and grew up in Seattle, but I spent time in Spokane while I was in college so I have familiarity with the city.

Spokane indeed does not get as much rain as Seattle. Far more distinct seasons but they can get heavy snow in the winter time, something that rarely happens on the west side of the state. I thought I liked the snow when it was an occasional wonder. Going through several winters in it is another story, and if you don't feel comfortable driving in it can get a huge inconvenience.

Definitely some late night options in Spokane but nowhere close to the variety you would find in a bigger city but enough to satisfy those late night cravings.

Spokane is big on Gonzaga basketball which has become a national brand in the past decade. If professional basketball is more your speed, you will have to take a weekend trip to Portland to get your fix or Seattle is you enjoy the WNBA.

Spokane is definitely a nice city but you have to keep a few things in mind.

The rain isn't the main issue with the weather in Seattle, its the cloudiness and gray skies. It rarely ever rains hard on the west side of the state, more a constant drizzle that wont go away for 6 months. But summers in on the west side are typically sunny and very comfortable. With Spokane can get hot and dry very quickly.

A few questions though:

What's your budget?

How small is too small for you? You stated that you like outdoor activities which are plentiful anywhere in the state. Wenatchee which is about 2 hours west of Spokane is a hidden gem with access to beautiful lakes, the Columbia river, and the cascades all near the city. It's much smaller then Spokane but only 2 1/2 hours to Seattle if you want to take a trip into the city.

Would you have any jobs you can line up before moving?

Old 07-02-2021, 06:04 AM

62 posts, read 67,090 times
Well, cancel that. I talked to my partner about the prospect of living somewhere where it snows, and they are strongly against it. Guess that makes Spokane out of the question. Thank you for your reply!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area