Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2020, 09:57 PM

3 posts, read 6,325 times

Advertisements

I have a 4yo non-verbal autistic son. Lately we have been having problems with bed wetting. We put diapers on him but, every night he takes them off and pees on the bed. We tried many diapers in different sizes but it is not thr diaper. Nothing we do will make him stop. Maybe if we taze him everytime he takes his diaper off, he might stop, but other than that, nothing works. I have had it with him and want to give him away. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2020, 10:09 PM

25,557 posts, read 17,263,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwatts59 View Post
I have a 4yo non-verbal autistic son. Lately we have been having problems with bed wetting. We put diapers on him but, every night he takes them off and pees on the bed. We tried many diapers in different sizes but it is not thr diaper. Nothing we do will make him stop. Maybe if we taze him everytime he takes his diaper off, he might stop, but other than that, nothing works. I have had it with him and want to give him away. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Makes you want to tear your hair out, doesn't it?
I have been there, albeit many years ago. Nothing worked. Nothing at all. No counselor ever gave us a satisfactory explanation, and no reward or punishment ever worked. He wet the bed until he was 15.
As hard as it is, I would advise you to say and do nothing. Just make it as sanitary as you can for him.

The only hint that we had that was useful was the psychologist who reminded us, "Actions solve problems. He is angry and he is getting even with you for something." Maybe it's not even anything that is your fault.

BOL!

Old 06-19-2020, 10:42 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,136,831 times
They make one piece jumpsuits/onesies for adults and children with autism. They button up the back so the child/adult can not remove them by themselves. These often work very well for children/adults who try to remove their clothes and/or diaper or pee in inappropriate places. Perhaps give that a try.

It is possible that he gets cold if his diaper is wet so he removes it, pees in the bed and them moves to a different place on the bed that is not wet. Perhaps, a thicker diaper, diaper pads and/or more blankets may help. Sometimes duct taping the diaper closed at night works, too.

Good luck.

Old 06-19-2020, 08:51 PM

3 posts, read 6,325 times
Thank you for your replies.

Some more info. We tried putting disposable pads (the ones for incontinence) on the bed, but he immediately takes them off and throws them on the floor. We cannot make his sleep directly on them, but we put them between the fitted sheet and the mattress. At least he wont soil the mattress but we still have to wash the sheets and blankets almost every day.
He does not pee on the bed to get even with me, he does it all the time just because he wants to.

Also, he takes his diaper off BEFORE he pees in the diaper, then pees on the bed. He is not taking the diaper off because it is wet.
I am pretty certain he would not put up with a jumpsuit/onesie. It is very difficult to get him to put on regular close, let alone something he wont be able to take off on his own.
Duct tape sounds like a good idea. I will try duct taping his diaper on him.

Old 08-23-2021, 01:01 PM

4,096 posts, read 6,213,194 times
Since he is non verbal have you tried some baby sign language? It does help some but the parent has to be consistent.

Old 08-23-2021, 01:27 PM

9,512 posts, read 6,093,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwatts59 View Post
I really hope you were just kidding about tazing him & wanting to give him away.

I have a 17 year old severely autistic son who wore diapers until age 10 & I know that pee & poop everywhere, every day, is very difficult & draining.

Watch this, this autism dad gives a good overview of what has worked & what hasn't for his 11 year old daughter:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lff7syA2xjI

Old 10-08-2021, 07:26 AM

461 posts, read 508,768 times
I know a foster parent that deals with this on a daily basis. She puts a onsie on him backwards and puts the safety vest /harness on him at night. This has helped some but he still manages to get out of it and pee and poop everywhere! You are not alone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children