Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2024, 04:30 PM

504 posts, read 258,405 times

Advertisements

Interesting to see all the "current" growth data.

But to put some of it in perspective,

When I moved to Charleston in 1956 the Charleston-North Charleston Metro Area Population was 144,000. Now it is 756,000. That is a huge difference. The current Charleston area ( outside the peninsula ) is hardly recognizable.

https://www.macrotrends.net/global-m...ton/population
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2024, 07:27 PM

12,882 posts, read 18,736,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upminster-1 View Post
Interesting to see all the "current" growth data.

But to put some of it in perspective,

When I moved to Charleston in 1956 the Charleston-North Charleston Metro Area Population was 144,000. Now it is 756,000. That is a huge difference. The current Charleston area ( outside the peninsula ) is hardly recognizable.

https://www.macrotrends.net/global-m...ton/population
I didn’t look carefully, but are they saying “metro area” as opposed to “metropolitan statistical area” (MSA)? Then there’s the term “urbanized area.” I ask because the Census Bureau is the source most commonly used, the source cited in the media routinely, and the CB’s just-released population estimate for the Charleston-North Charleston MSA was 849,417 as of 7/1/2023. 756,000 sounds more like the urbanized area population.

Old 03-30-2024, 07:50 PM

504 posts, read 258,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlestondata View Post
I didn’t look carefully, but are they saying “metro area” as opposed to “metropolitan statistical area” (MSA)? Then there’s the term “urbanized area.” I ask because the Census Bureau is the source most commonly used, the source cited in the media routinely, and the CB’s just-released population estimate for the Charleston-North Charleston MSA was 849,417 as of 7/1/2023. 756,000 sounds more like the urbanized area population.
You are probably right. The data I linked was from the UN and they don't define what they actually mean. The closest I could find was vague: "De facto urban population living in areas classified as urban according to the criteria used by each area or country. Data refer to 1 July of the year indicated and are presented in thousands."

I would think the census data and definitions are more reliable. I was mostly interested in the relative magnitudes from 1956 to the present.

Old 03-30-2024, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upminster-1 View Post
You are probably right. The data I linked was from the UN and they don't define what they actually mean. The closest I could find was vague: "De facto urban population living in areas classified as urban according to the criteria used by each area or country. Data refer to 1 July of the year indicated and are presented in thousands."

I would think the census data and definitions are more reliable. I was mostly interested in the relative magnitudes from 1956 to the present.
Gotcha. And don’t get me wrong - I do see articles in magazines that cite numbers different from the Census Bureau’s. When they’re online I cite the Bureau’s numbers with dates of the estimates in the comments.

Old 03-31-2024, 12:47 PM

5,484 posts, read 8,315,620 times
That's urban area. Macrotrends always list them wrong. Surprised it hasn't been corrected.

Old 03-31-2024, 10:32 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
So if you are a Sumter Political Leader.. would you spin this as being good for Sumter? The average citizen likely doesnt care.. but I would think getting "merged" is not good because it shows that you are in decline and thus may reflect poorly on the leadership. Conversely, if it is Sumter getting drawn into Columbia's orbit as a partner (ex. Greenville Spartanburg) then that could be a good thing if it spurs more regional cooperation... though that may not be the reality in this example. Columbia and Sumter not banning together to flex whatever political muscle they can muster is puzzling to me.. though I do have some thoughts on why that is the case that I have shared in other threads.
Well Sumter is still its own MSA and CSAs don't register as much in the national consciousness, so I don't think there's really anything to spin. Now if Sumter lost MSA status and simply became absorbed by Columbia, we'd be having a much different conversation.

Old 04-01-2024, 12:35 PM

8,223 posts, read 13,338,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Well Sumter is still its own MSA and CSAs don't register as much in the national consciousness, so I don't think there's really anything to spin. Now if Sumter lost MSA status and simply became absorbed by Columbia, we'd be having a much different conversation.
Yeah... lets hope that doesnt happen and I cant imagine it will when it comes to MSA.. From my understanding you need a "urbanized area" of atleast 50k. Sumter has in the high 30s in the city limits and easily goes over 50k in the "urbanized" area.. The County has just over 100k. So even it the urbanized populations falls, I guess they could fall back on the County's overall population? At any rate.. barring an foreign invasion, natural disaster or Shaw AFB closing.. those numbers shouldnt get much lower....

Old 04-03-2024, 02:59 PM

8,223 posts, read 13,338,852 times
On a related note.. Just when you thought there would never be another "best of" list... Here you go...

https://www.thestate.com/news/local/....html?tbref=hp

Old 04-03-2024, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
On a related note.. Just when you thought there would never be another "best of" list... Here you go...

https://www.thestate.com/news/local/....html?tbref=hp
They don’t even have the right schools for James Island.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina