Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2023, 10:45 AM

18,126 posts, read 25,269,498 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
As much as I like soccer (or perhaps it’s because I do), I don’t like that it takes hype re: a semi-retired superstar to conjure up (temporary) interest in the sport here whilst it simultaneously creates a huge imbalance in the league. Hence, I say bring on (real) football and the Niners! :-)
Kind of hard to say that Messi is semi-retired when he won the World Cup 9 months ago, winning the MVP of the tournament and becoming the first player to score a goal in each of the rounds of the World Cup.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2023, 11:36 AM

4,295 posts, read 1,554,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Kind of hard to say that Messi is semi-retired when he won the World Cup 9 months ago, winning the MVP of the tournament and becoming the first player to score a goal in each of the rounds of the World Cup.
Not really, there's a reason he joined MLS at age 36 and not 26, he'd already retired internationally once before.

I'm in complete agreement with the other poster, what he's done to the league is very impressive, but it's not an organic growth of the league, it's a fad. It's like when Pele joined the Cosmos - when the hype dies down, where will the league be?

I think the prices of tickets to go watch your team get pumped by Messi are also outrageous. I can't imagine fans anywhere else on planet earth paying more for tickets because of an opposition player. It is creating an imbalance, and it will come back to haunt MLS when he's no longer there.

Old 08-29-2023, 11:54 AM

8,660 posts, read 3,856,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
My comment re: semi-retired does not equate to a judgement re: his skills or (current) status as a superstar in the sport. To the contrary, it speaks to my point re: an imbalance in the league i.e. even at his age, he dominates MLS and/or the conversation. In fact, many of the players are ‘star-struck’ as well.

Hence, it doesn’t improve (the quality of) the league; rather, it (temporarily) increases its popularity.

Old 09-01-2023, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterbeard View Post
It's like when Pele joined the Cosmos - when the hype dies down, where will the league be?
The Cosmos were in the NASL. Beckham signing with the Galaxy (2007) is a more recent and relevant comparison; consider how much MLS has grown since then.

Old 09-01-2023, 11:31 AM

Quote:
The Cosmos were in the NASL. Beckham signing with the Galaxy (2007) is a more recent and relevant comparison; consider how much MLS has grown since then.
That's true I suppose, I do hope it continues to grow I'm just very wary of the putting all their eggs in one Messi basket.

Old 09-01-2023, 12:22 PM

Quote:
That's true I suppose, I do hope it continues to grow I'm just very wary of the putting all their eggs in one Messi basket.
I don’t agree they’ve put all their eggs into one basket, so-to-speak (and it’s obvious he won’t continue to play for long); Miami had multiple problems relative to coaching, poor performance and so on. Keep in mind after Messi’s signing, a few other experienced/key players signed as well as Tata Martino (former FC Barcelona and Argentina National Team manager).

Old 09-01-2023, 12:35 PM

Quote:
I don’t agree they’ve put all their eggs into one basket, so-to-speak (and it’s obvious he won’t continue to play for long); Miami had multiple problems relative to coaching, poor performance and so on. Keep in mind after Messi’s signing, a few other experienced/key players signed as well as Tata Martino (former FC Barcelona and Argentina National Team manager).
Oh, this is true. I wasn't really referring to Inter Miami, more MLS as a whole. Seems there's a buzz around Messi, but are attendances up around other grounds, is the league benefitting from Messi as a whole? Are fans of the NE Revolution (for instance) growing in number because Miami now has the best player in the world?

Obviously, the Messi move has been hugely profitable for Miami, but even now they could miss out on the playoffs, then we'll see how the league has grown, if Miami don't make the play offs, what will the ratings be? Will MLS have grown at all outside of the Messi bubble?

Sometimes I'm not sure what MLS wants. It wants soccer to grow, but it puts itself behind an Apple pay wall, and while I understand it was a good financial package for them, does it benefit the potential fans? I don't think so.

That's why I alluded to NASL. Beyond the glitz and glamour of the high profile players, what did it actually have?

Old 09-02-2023, 09:48 AM

14,673 posts, read 14,633,857 times
Those are some great questions, especially around the TV deal. Most people don’t have AppleTV and aren’t going to get it for MLS the way they do to watch their favorite European teams. The ratings will tell the story, I guess.

Old 09-05-2023, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Those are some great questions, especially around the TV deal.
Quote:
Sometimes I'm not sure what MLS wants. It wants soccer to grow, but it puts itself behind an Apple pay wall, and while I understand it was a good financial package for them, does it benefit the potential fans? I don't think so.
You’re speaking to world-wide exposure i.e. it is available in 100+ nations; how does it not contribute to growth and stability (which ultimately benefits the fans).

Old 09-05-2023, 02:28 PM

Quote:
You’re speaking to world-wide exposure i.e. it is available in 100+ nations; how does it not contribute to growth and stability (which ultimately benefits the fans).
Perhaps it does. I'm just not sure that removing the product from free-to-air television is going to increase the fan base in the US. It might do worldwide, but I feel the US population who are perhaps hostile to the game are losing any kind of exposure to it to convince them otherwise. No one is going to come across a MLS game without looking for it.

Perhaps I'm too romantic about it, I want the game to grow organically, I want people to fall in love with the game and their local team and I just don't see how that happens in America at the moment.

But I'm aware I come from the UK sporting culture and the US is a whole different ball game.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer