Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2023, 05:37 AM

2,393 posts, read 1,561,850 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ledena una View Post
yes it is american thing try to mimic europe football with care free attitude with how europe sees the these rivalries and things so to me becomes really funny seeing americans want to be passionate as euro fans but activl and consciously hold back type of insults euro fans dish to opposing teams and fans so to me merican rivalries are just for lol
my experience in Canada with Soccer fans, or at least the ones who would like to consider themselves soft Ultras (passionate and belonging) is the opposite of what I remember from Europe - in North America today the fans are anti racist, pro LGBTQ mostly young ( less than 30) and liberal - the hard core fans I encountered in Europe in the 80s ( with the exception of some left leaning fans from clubs like St Pauli, Livorno, Celtic etc.) were the polar opposite of that mind set
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2023, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ledena una View Post
so then call your self left wing right wing ultras or is even that to much for n american fans to jump into as well
not at all passion is one thing violence is another

Old 05-30-2023, 12:22 PM

who are you referring to, i don't consider myself to be any these things

Old 05-30-2023, 03:38 PM

24,557 posts, read 18,235,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by porterjack View Post
my experience in Canada with Soccer fans, or at least the ones who would like to consider themselves soft Ultras (passionate and belonging) is the opposite of what I remember from Europe - in North America today the fans are anti racist, pro LGBTQ mostly young ( less than 30) and liberal - the hard core fans I encountered in Europe in the 80s ( with the exception of some left leaning fans from clubs like St Pauli, Livorno, Celtic etc.) were the polar opposite of that mind set
The demographic in the stands at Gillette when the New England Patriots play is quite different from when the Patriots play. Other than in The Fort behind the goal on the lighthouse end, it’s heavily under-18 and family-oriented. The Patriots skew much older and a lot more socially conservative.

Old 05-31-2023, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
The demographic in the stands at Gillette when the New England Patriots play is quite different from when the Patriots play. Other than in The Fort behind the goal on the lighthouse end, it’s heavily under-18 and family-oriented. The Patriots skew much older and a lot more socially conservative.
you meant revolution versus pats?

Old 05-31-2023, 12:22 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,103,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
Soccer is insanely popular among suburban children (where do you think the label "soccer mom" came from?), but it seems to fade away when they grow up. Why that is, I honestly don't know. I would think that its popularity would continue as the players age out of children's leagues. Maybe that's why we're seeing an uptick, because many of today's young adults grew up immersed in the sport.

Personally, I think that "football" is a much more appropriate name for this sport (which is, after all, mainly played using one's feet), and that what we call "football" should be called something else, maybe "tackle ball." Don't know if it'll ever happen, but I think it would make a lot more sense. It also might help integrate American fans into the greater worldwide community of football fandom, which in turn might help grow the sport's popularity in this country.
Now the interest in youth soccer is also being challenged by the popularity of "Ultimate Frisbee." My oldest grandson is into that now, we went and watched a match a couple of weeks ago. When there are conflicts with his soccer games he sticks with the frisbee. It has had even more of a negative effect on youth baseball.
He, and many of his friends have given that up. With the number of people from India here now, even Cricket leagues are up and running, and our "state sport" is now Pickleball! The Seattle Sounders soccer fans we have selling out the stadium here are mostly millennials that grew up playing, or immigrants from countries where soccer (football) is the major sport. When the current batch of kids become teens and adults I expect the soccer interest to drop off again.

Old 05-31-2023, 01:57 PM

4,511 posts, read 2,656,277 times
If you think soccer isn't popular in the US you've clearly never walked or driven past a city park or schoolyard in the last 20 years.

Where do people come up with this stuff?

I suppose if your definition of "popular" is "vast numbers of people sitting on their asses watching it on TV", OK, but if "hundreds of thousands of kids playing this sport with enthusiastic support from parents and peers", only by having buried your head in the dirt for the last 20 years could you claim soccer is not popular in the US.

Old 06-01-2023, 01:57 PM

24,557 posts, read 18,235,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by porterjack View Post
you meant revolution versus pats?
Sorry. My jibberish was meant to compare the MLS fans in the stands against the NFL in the same stadium. The Revolution is squadrons of youth soccer players. Part of it is the price point and availability of tickets. The demographic is very different.

Old 06-02-2023, 07:33 AM

15,821 posts, read 6,530,298 times
Statistically, the number of people in the US playing soccer is larger than the populations of many countries, and it is steadily increasing.

The US may have lost in the World Cup, but soccer is more popular than ever in America
Call it soccer: the rise of the world’s game in the United States
Soccer has overtaken ice hockey to become the fourth most popular sport in the US
Despite World Cup Heartbreak, the Future Looks Bright for Men's Soccer in the U.S.

Old 06-02-2023, 07:49 AM

16,214 posts, read 11,327,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
I was born in 1994.
For me, Soccer was a sport that I played as a kid until I was allowed to play football enough to play (10). I never looked back. It's sort of viewed as a kids sport or a womens sport (popularity of the USWNT) or a European sport. And the main drivers of the sports industry and consumerism are adult and teenage men. Its not action-packed enough for most American tastes, were always looking for over the top.
Exactly! Soccer is like daily life in a "Korporate anthill"; long hours of tedious, demanding, physically tiring activity; elaborate defense mechanisms to prevent immediate or substantial change (it is nearly impossible to overcome a three-goal lead), and little recognition for most individual participants -- hence, the emergence of "participation trophies", and similar non-recognition.

It smells just like life in petty, vicious, bloody, egalitarian Europe to me, and it stinks!

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 06-02-2023 at 08:23 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer