Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2023, 07:56 PM

1,072 posts, read 796,620 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Well, if you can find a niche of NorCal born-and-raised people, they're more likely to be laid back and down to earth. And they can be anywhere: Berkeley, Marin (yes, even Marin), Benicia, Oakland, El Cerrito, Albany, maybe Monterey. And then there's Humboldt, which the OP would hate, because of the rain. There certainly are down-to-earth friendly types there, though.
Indeed, friendly laid-back people exist in most places. But in general, the overall vibe became less friendly and more stressful with the decline in affordability.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2023, 02:06 AM

7,651 posts, read 4,613,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janoritish View Post
So having roommates is not an option. It's fine, if needed, I'll live in a very bad area. I'll just install an alarm. I'm probably only gonna make $40,000 a year. I wish California were more affordable. If I found an apartment that was $1,300 a month, that would work.

However, I feel like those apartments are in cities like Fresno and Bakersfield. Maybe there is one in the bay?

Your numbers are off. $40K is almost minimum wage here. Thats a contribution income for a larger family, not a head of household income. The average family income is six figures, so you're going to be competing with everyone for resources.

$1300 apartments don't exist. At that range you can still rent a room in someone's home, but definitely not your own studio.

Old 02-08-2023, 09:27 AM

102,231 posts, read 108,040,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artillery77 View Post
Your numbers are off. $40K is almost minimum wage here. Thats a contribution income for a larger family, not a head of household income. The average family income is six figures, so you're going to be competing with everyone for resources.

$1300 apartments don't exist. At that range you can still rent a room in someone's home, but definitely not your own studio.
I found an apt. for the OP at around $1600, though, in Alameda, and that was just with a very cursory search. That was a 1-br. I didn't search out studios. Of course, the lower-priced rentals will be in high demand, so the OP would have to watch listings closely (daily), and be the first to respond, and have his job offer (proof of income) and credit report ready to send. I see no evidence that he's bothered to do any housing research himself, though.

I still think he's jumping the gun on this move, though. He should complete his SW degree/certification first, or wait until he has his MSW.

Old 02-17-2023, 07:08 PM

126 posts, read 72,712 times
I need to tell you all, people are far friendlier in Los Angeles, San Francisco, Las Vegas, Chicago, Boston, Miami, Philadelphia, and anywhere else in the country than in Phoenix. Phoenix does have the rudest people in America, and I decided I want to jump the gun on this move and live out of my car. I'm starting to research how to do this.

Old 02-17-2023, 07:09 PM

I gotta say too, New Jersey has much nicer and kinder people than Phoenix. So at this point, I want to make the move and live at a Pilot Gas Station. Washington DC too has very nice and kind people as well.

Old 02-17-2023, 08:56 PM

Are people also rude as well in the bay area? I imagined it'd be like Houston or Shreveport.

Old 02-18-2023, 08:28 PM

102,231 posts, read 108,040,687 times
IDK, OP. My impression is, that people anywhere aren't as friendly toward people living out of their car, as they are toward people with a fixed address living within 4 walls and a ceiling. What's your plan for a job? And for continuing your education toward a degree and certification?

Old 02-20-2023, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
IDK, OP. My impression is, that people anywhere aren't as friendly toward people living out of their car, as they are toward people with a fixed address living within 4 walls and a ceiling. What's your plan for a job? And for continuing your education toward a degree and certification?
I probably will just do food delivery and Lyft. I would have a PO box as my address. And finding a job in California in general is so much easier than in Arizona. Lots of job opportunities and they are way less selective on their applicants. The interviews are probably easier too with being hired on the spot or in less than a week or day.

Old 02-21-2023, 04:14 PM

Interesting enough today, God sent me an angel to tell me not to consider California. I met a therapist today who practiced in California for 20 years and advised me against living there and said I wouldn't make it as a therapist and that the pay is not enough to make a living. He said I'd have to have financial help there.

With this said, I'm gonna end up staying in Phoenix. I'd rather keep my own spacious apartment than have a tiny studio with a roommate.

Old 02-21-2023, 07:53 PM

30,364 posts, read 51,981,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janoritish View Post
Interesting enough today, God sent me an angel to tell me not to consider California. I met a therapist today who practiced in California for 20 years and advised me against living there and said I wouldn't make it as a therapist and that the pay is not enough to make a living. He said I'd have to have financial help there.

With this said, I'm gonna end up staying in Phoenix. I'd rather keep my own spacious apartment than have a tiny studio with a roommate.
Probably a good choice, since you're all over the place here... and the last thing we need is another van-living "gig worker," lol. Not to denigrate the people doing that, but you'd literally be one of THOUSANDS. Competition is strong, pay is lousy, and living in your car isn't the fun-and-free experience you see on TikTok.

That being said, if you ever do decide to move up here I'd recommend the Santa Cruz Mountains. I've been in this area (Scotts Valley and Boulder Creek) for some years now, commuting to a good-paying job in the valley. That drive isn't for the weak, but if you're confident and competent it's no biggie; 45min each way for me, and zero traffic at the times I'm coming/going. People are laid-back and friendly, housing prices are lower, and it has that small-town vibe but with access to amenities. I don't want to pitch it too hard, because we like it how it is! But the rest of the Bay Area seems not to care, since they like their urban-suburban lifestyles. So I guess it doesn't hurt to mention.

P.S. Just a random tip: We call it BART, not "the BART." Same goes for our highways. It's 280, 101, 85, etc; no "the" before them unless you want to be mistaken for a Los Angelino.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose