Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2024, 01:14 PM

3,429 posts, read 1,558,536 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattja View Post
This is typical of a tech contraction, not a tech boom. Employers typically put the screws in when they feel they have the upper hand. Like in the early 1990s tech bust following the end of the Cold War. Companies like HP and IBM laid off tens of thousands in the Bay Area alone and employers took advantage of that big time. I remember my employer saying there were no raises this year and if we didn't like it, too bad. They actually said that. They paid for that dearly during the dotcom boom when tech companies hired anyone with a pulse. But then things were back in their favor during the dotcom bust.

Anyway, tech companies over-hired during the boom economy around 2018. Same thing. Anyone with a pulse could get a job. They shed 10-15% over the last couple of years, which was probably right-sizing.

Whatever the reason, clearly employees are indeed coming back. I believe I read that Salesforce is also requiring their employees to get back to 3 days at the office.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2024, 01:52 PM

8,658 posts, read 3,853,671 times
Quote:
The jury is still out on what will actually happen with AI.
Generative AI is here to stay; ChatGPT (OpenAI, SF) was just the beginning. The vast majority of companies are already leveraging it to strengthen and optimize various processes and systems (or have interest in doing so). As such, it’s foolish to debate if it will be influential at this point; it most certainly will be. The question is, of course, how prominent in terms of societal change.

Quote:
Potential or not, anytime large amounts of money are available, the posers come out in droves. They want the VC money and typically have no actual products.
Venture capitalists have a stake in seeing an idea to the start of its commercialization phase; and, ironically, genAI can be implemented to play a part in one’s due diligence relative to such. ;-)

Old 02-28-2024, 06:51 PM

7,237 posts, read 3,776,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blameyourself View Post
Whatever the reason, clearly employees are indeed coming back. I believe I read that Salesforce is also requiring their employees to get back to 3 days at the office.
The last I heard 1/3 of their tower in SF was empty and a lot of the rest was subleased.

They subleased all of Salesforce East.

BART is still at 40% of pre-COVID levels. It's an improvement but paid ridership is still down big time. It's unlikely a lot of those Salesforce employees drive. Parking in that areas is near impossible.

We are seeing widespread revolts against returning to work. I doubt it will happen in a big way until we have an actual recession, which I expect should happen this year at some point. People will come back to work once they find no one else is hiring.

Old 02-28-2024, 07:03 PM

3,429 posts, read 1,558,536 times
Quote:
The last I heard 1/3 of their tower in SF was empty and a lot of the rest was subleased.

They subleased all of Salesforce East.

BART is still at 40% of pre-COVID levels. It's an improvement but paid ridership is still down big time. It's unlikely a lot of those Salesforce employees drive. Parking in that areas is near impossible.

We are seeing widespread revolts against returning to work. I doubt it will happen in a big way until we have an actual recession, which I expect should happen this year at some point. People will come back to work once they find no one else is hiring.
I can't go by what you heard as that's not quantifiable.

Salesforce's return-to-office mandate now requires non-remote employees to go into the office three days a week. Non-remote and customer-facing employees have to go in four days a week, while engineers only have to work from the office 10 days each quarter.

Old 04-04-2024, 08:40 PM

600 posts, read 2,090,317 times
Some good news for San Francisco .... Despite their problems, great cities will always have their appeal....

https://www.sfgate.com/local/article...g-19385805.php

Old 04-05-2024, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes927 View Post
Some good news for San Francisco .... Despite their problems, great cities will always have their appeal....
It’s not ‘news’ for those of us who live here; SF has a highly-educated talent pool as well as unparalleled geography and outdoor recreation. As such, from my perspective, it has more appeal than most.

Old 04-05-2024, 07:03 PM

600 posts, read 2,090,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
It’s not ‘news’ for those of us who live here; SF has a highly-educated talent pool as well as unparalleled geography and outdoor recreation. As such, from my perspective, it has more appeal than most.
America's great cities: SF; Chi; NY; etc. --have serious issues to manage, but a certain segment of American society actually wants them to fail, rather than engaging in constructive critiques. This gives motivation to only focus on the negative, and yes, I agree, ignore the great things that cities have to offer.

Old 04-06-2024, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes927 View Post
America's great cities: SF; Chi; NY; etc. --have serious issues to manage, but a certain segment of American society actually wants them to fail, rather than engaging in constructive critiques.
It’s clear as to what ‘segment of American society’ you’re speaking to considering all the cities you mentioned are liberal, as a whole. That said, all cities have serious issues to manage relative to the large number of folks living in smaller areas of space; from my perspective, however, SF has more benefits than most (and not just regarding AI, per the thread, although its highly-educated talent pool is certainly a significant part of such).

Old 04-06-2024, 09:54 AM

21,724 posts, read 16,327,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
It’s clear as to what ‘segment of American society’ you’re speaking to considering all the cities you mentioned are liberal, as a whole. That said, all cities have serious issues to manage relative to the large number of folks living in smaller areas of space; from my perspective, however, SF has more benefits than most (and not just regarding AI, per the thread, although its highly-educated talent pool is certainly a significant part of such).
As a whole, nearly ALL big cities are liberal …
Quote:
Zero cities with over one million people currently have Republican mayors.

Old 04-06-2024, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
As a whole, nearly ALL big cities are liberal …
My point is that some are considered more progressive than others (and politically-liberal relative to the state as well). It’s not rocket science to interpret Wes927’s comment as politically-biased, and SF is at the top of the list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
View detailed profiles of: