Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2024, 02:20 PM

23,776 posts, read 18,906,444 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
Wait til the I195 land gets fully developed. It won't look like the city you knew at all.

But that's considered "progress" and anyone who demurs is a NIMBY.
What is it that you miss? The elevated highway, or vacant land with weeds growing on it?

Nobody is talking ablout building a strip club. What's going in there now, absolutely is progress.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2024, 03:26 PM

12,957 posts, read 22,133,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
What is it that you miss? The elevated highway, or vacant land with weeds growing on it?

Nobody is talking ablout building a strip club. What's going in there now, absolutely is progress.
I must have missed where anyone said they'd miss those things. Or mentioned strip clubs at all? I've yet to hear anyone argue that the old 195 land shouldn't be redeveloped. I have heard people take issue with some of the proposed developments or land uses. Lots of people were justifiably displeased with the Fane tower proposal. Lots of people aren't thrilled with rather sterile and generic architecture in many of the new constructions/proposals that look like they could be at home in any city. There was plenty of conversation on this forum about a proposal to relocate the transit hub from Kennedy Plaza to Parcel 35.

I'm thrilled to see new life being breathed into that part of the city. But let's not pretend there aren't perfectly valid reasons to be less than enthusiastic about all of the changes.

Old 05-14-2024, 05:13 PM

3,857 posts, read 2,735,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
PBN (so there's a paywall): https://pbn.com/30-story-apartment-t...ton-providence

There is always the matter of getting the numbers to work and securing funding for a project like this. And anything tall will bring people out of the woodwork to fight it. But unlike the Fane proposal, this seems to be more realistic. The developer has ties to The Procaccianti Group (The "TPG" in the tower name seems to be The Procaccianti Group) which has successfully completed numerous large projects in the city. And while it's tall, it's still shorter than the Superman Building and is in-line with other tall buildings in the area. It's replacing a parking deck (though still adding 248 parking spots), and its neighbors are I-95 ramps, the Hilton, the AMP, and a surface parking lot. So I'd be surprised if this generated opposition that was similarly as fierce as the Fane proposal.

Personally, I'm not blown away by the initial design (though it will inevitably change throughout the process), but I think 216 additional residential units downtown would be a win for the city. The location is ideal for this scale of development.
I mostly want to know if the Procaccianti Group or its partners would get preferential tax treatment for this development. If they are going to get tax incentives, then I say no to this project. If the city is not giving them a tax incentive to build this, then they have my blessings.

Old 05-14-2024, 05:19 PM

4,454 posts, read 3,229,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
Wait til the I195 land gets fully developed. It won't look like the city you knew at all.

But that's considered "progress" and anyone who demurs is a NIMBY.
I'm torn because 1) Providence does need some relief in spiraling housing costs and building more should relieve the strain. Only it never seems to. 2). I love Providence as a small city. I think some growth is fine too, but some people want it to be like the big cities they left. I'm not sure why they move to a small city if they prefer big cities.

Old 05-14-2024, 05:30 PM

3,857 posts, read 2,735,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsonik View Post
I'm torn because 1) Providence does need some relief in spiraling housing costs and building more should relieve the strain. Only it never seems to. 2). I love Providence as a small city. I think some growth is fine too, but some people want it to be like the big cities they left. I'm not sure why they move to a small city if they prefer big cities.
I think this sort of captures the problem. Housing prices get high, developments like this promise to alleviate that issue, but all signs point to housing prices continuing to move upward. More supply should drive down prices. But throw government money at it and the behavior is not as you would simply expect.

They made these promises in Portland Oregon. All the building that happened there did nothing to solve affordability there. It is worse than ever.

As far as I am concerned, Providence is right sized for our current business environment. Make our city a better place to do business, attract more employers/jobs, and then add housing as appropriate.

Old 05-14-2024, 06:08 PM

17,931 posts, read 9,347,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ormari View Post
I mostly want to know if the Procaccianti Group or its partners would get preferential tax treatment for this development. If they are going to get tax incentives, then I say no to this project. If the city is not giving them a tax incentive to build this, then they have my blessings.
Of course there will be a tax break. It's necessary and it's good business.

Old 05-14-2024, 06:16 PM

Quote:
The city's goal is not to provide relief. The city wouldn't allow that to happen.

Old 05-14-2024, 07:33 PM

4,454 posts, read 3,229,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
The city's goal is not to provide relief. The city wouldn't allow that to happen.
They prefer breaking up homeless camps?

But who said anything about what the city prefers - this is a private project, no? We're talking about free market forces at play.

Old 05-14-2024, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
Quote:

But who said anything about what the city prefers - this is a private project, no? We're talking about free market forces at play.
Projects like this need approval from the city.

The city would love it if real estate and rentals continued to go up. It's a sign of a successful city. All of the most desirable cities in the world are the most expensive cities to live in.

The idea of providing relief (prices dropping) is essentially a sign of failure. It means supply is greater than demand.

Old 05-14-2024, 07:50 PM

Quote:
The city couldn't care less about the 70 people at the homeless camps they broke up today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
View detailed profiles of: