Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old Yesterday, 06:30 PM

3,848 posts, read 2,714,035 times

Advertisements

There has been a lot of discussion recently about local beer. I am curious, what are your go to package stores for local craft beer? For craft beer in general? I have my haunts, but lets hear yours!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 08:54 PM

4,427 posts, read 3,210,494 times
Nikki's is probably the best, and the most well known so there is good turnover. Wines and More in Cranston has a good selection and does mix a six, but like a lot of other similar stores that offer that, a lot of their selection is sitting on a shelf for who knows how long?

I don't know if Heritage in Cranston has gotten better but they used to have the same cases of beer on the floor and shelves for quite awhile. Seems like they over ordered and undersold. Which actually made them a good place to find a BA stout you'd been looking for; they probably had it.

I usually just go to a local Brewery, where you can be sure the beers been treated right. However a new store, Liquor Basket, opened up in the same plaza as Four Seasons on Reservoir Ave. They keep all the beer refrigerated, and stock the locals. They are very friendly and ask if there's anything you like to see them bring in. I don't think they really know craft beer but they are looking to win loyal customers so that's good. I'd still watch the dates though!

And I noticed Cork and Brew Too in Pawtuxet Village looked pretty good and had a good supply of Tilted Barn so that could save me a drive

Old Today, 06:45 AM

3,848 posts, read 2,714,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsonik View Post
Nikki's is probably the best, and the most well known so there is good turnover. Wines and More in Cranston has a good selection and does mix a six, but like a lot of other similar stores that offer that, a lot of their selection is sitting on a shelf for who knows how long?

I don't know if Heritage in Cranston has gotten better but they used to have the same cases of beer on the floor and shelves for quite awhile. Seems like they over ordered and undersold. Which actually made them a good place to find a BA stout you'd been looking for; they probably had it.

I usually just go to a local Brewery, where you can be sure the beers been treated right. However a new store, Liquor Basket, opened up in the same plaza as Four Seasons on Reservoir Ave. They keep all the beer refrigerated, and stock the locals. They are very friendly and ask if there's anything you like to see them bring in. I don't think they really know craft beer but they are looking to win loyal customers so that's good. I'd still watch the dates though!

And I noticed Cork and Brew Too in Pawtuxet Village looked pretty good and had a good supply of Tilted Barn so that could save me a drive
Nikki’s is indeed fantastic for local and craft beer. They’re knowledgeable, friendly, and they’re always bringing in new things. I don’t love the location (it’s a little hassle to get out of) but they are the best I know about.

Wines and More does have a good selection. They used to have some Oregonian beers that I love, but apparently they didn’t sell well, so they stopped carrying them. They carry some of the von Trapp beers and they’ve always been fresh (indeed von Trapp recently changed their packaging design, and Wines & More had the change right away. Six-eight weeks later I went to a package store in Mass that still had the old design.

I don’t know Cork and Brew, but your comment about saving the drive to Exeter is one of the exact things I am looking for in finding good package stores that carry local craft. If I am throwing a party, I want to be able to buy from more than one local brewery at once. But as you point out, turnover is important.

Old Today, 06:58 AM

12,913 posts, read 22,073,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsonik View Post

Nikki's gets my vote right now, but I haven't really checked out all of the options in the area. Like you, I mostly just get the brewery. I will have to check out Liquor Basket too. And Cork and Brew.

Old Today, 07:04 AM

12,913 posts, read 22,073,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ormari View Post
If I am throwing a party, I want to be able to buy from more than one local brewery at once. But as you point out, turnover is important.
You're generous! I don't usually do Bud Light or anything like that for a party, but I will do something like Whaler's Rise which you can find anywhere.

Turnover is important. I know a few distributors and they typically take back product when it's approaching the end of its shelf life. Granted, that requires the store staff and/or the distributor to check canning dates, but there really is no excuse for old beer on shelves. And yet, it happens all the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island