Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2024, 06:26 PM

3,796 posts, read 2,696,474 times

Advertisements

Mass is hungry for cash, and Mass secretary of transportation Monica Tibbits-Nutt wants to grab commuters from neighboring states by the ankles and shake out their pockets.

https://rhodeislandcurrent.com/2024/04/18/transportation-secretary-gives-unfiltered-take-on-challenges/

“I’m talking tolling, I’m talking at the borders. I’m not talking within Massachusetts.”

She added: “We’re going after all the people who should be giving us money to make our transportation better and our communities better.”

Asked for details on the tolling option, a MassDOT spokeswoman said the task force is reviewing many possible revenue sources, including the “evaluation of tolling at all Massachusetts borders.”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2024, 09:36 PM

17,742 posts, read 9,192,519 times
Greedy.

MA should be thrilled to already be getting tons of money from RI residents spending in Seekonk.

Not to mention all the money they get from both RI and CT residents buying marijuana at MA dispensaries.

Old 04-21-2024, 05:05 AM

4,231 posts, read 1,674,918 times
"We're going after everybody who has money." Yeah, right up until they don't. Real shocker from a Democrat. Always a revenue problem.

Old 04-21-2024, 07:37 PM

What happened to ClownWorld’s post “Democrats going to Democrat”? It seemed perfectly on point.

Who struck that, but left all the drivel FORUMWIDE* from the gruesome twosome? Shameful.

*In all caps for those suffering from all-cap Tourette’s. And now we know who you are.

Last edited by ormari; 04-21-2024 at 08:40 PM..

Old 04-23-2024, 09:43 AM

8,498 posts, read 4,561,677 times
Governor Healey has come out and said that this will not be happening.

Old Yesterday, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMS02760 View Post
Governor Healey has come out and said that this will not be happening.
Yeah, Healey got an earful. But Tibbits-Nutt is probably just one of several in the Healey administration who thinks of taxpayers as cows to be milked. I have certainly run into Providence progressives who think of taxpayers this way.

I think it would not be legal to put up tolls at the borders on Federally funded highways anyway, based on the discussions we had here back when Raimondo proposed tolling trucks.

Old Today, 03:12 PM

4,402 posts, read 3,195,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ormari View Post
Yeah, Healey got an earful. But Tibbits-Nutt is probably just one of several in the Healey administration who thinks of taxpayers as cows to be milked. I have certainly run into Providence progressives who think of taxpayers this way.

I think it would not be legal to put up tolls at the borders on Federally funded highways anyway, based on the discussions we had here back when Raimondo proposed tolling trucks.
It was deemed unconstitutional because only out of state vehicles would be taxed. As I recall, I don't think there was an issue with federal funding - federal funding can never be more than 80% anyway.

Old Today, 03:13 PM

8,500 posts, read 4,741,154 times
I’ve noticed that the northeast seems to like tolls.

Old Today, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsonik View Post
It was deemed unconstitutional because only out of state vehicles would be taxed. As I recall, I don't think there was an issue with federal funding - federal funding can never be more than 80% anyway.
I’m not talking about a court ruling for the truck tolls, I’m talking about Federal limitations on putting tolls on highways paid for with Federal Funds. There is (was?) a limitation. An old article, but this gives the idea:

https://reason.org/commentary/its-ti...-aid-highways/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
View detailed profiles of: