Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2024, 01:34 PM

12,863 posts, read 22,026,395 times

Advertisements

Does anyone in here (Providence, or RI) have one and use it as a primary heating source? I'm curious about both the cost and the performance on colder days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2024, 02:29 PM

8,032 posts, read 4,698,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
Does anyone in here (Providence, or RI) have one and use it as a primary heating source? I'm curious about both the cost and the performance on colder days.
As a sole winter source of heat, be careful. My experience was with an oceanfront summer house. We decided to open on a January weekend. The unit just wasn't able to keep up on a cold (18 degrees) windy night. Despite what the installer & manufacturer warranted, the unit couldn't bring the room temp. above 58 degrees without an assist from the wood burning fireplace.

Old 01-02-2024, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by independent man View Post
As a sole winter source of heat, be careful. My experience was with an oceanfront summer house. We decided to open on a January weekend. The unit just wasn't able to keep up on a cold (18 degrees) windy night. Despite what the installer & manufacturer warranted, the unit couldn't bring the room temp. above 58 degrees without an assist from the wood burning fireplace.
Yeah, that's my concern. I'd love to rely solely on the mini splits, but the extreme cold concerns me.

Old 01-02-2024, 02:54 PM

3,793 posts, read 2,696,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by independent man View Post
I will second this, kind of. While I don’t have first hand experience with a mini split in my own house, I do know someone here in Providence who is newly reliant on a mini split for his heating. Last winter was the system’s first season. We had an incredibly mild winter last year with the exception of 2-3 days in the single digits. He told me the system worked fine except during the cold snap, when the system could just barely keep it in the 50s.

I am familiar with mini splits out west, where they are perhaps better suited. But to me, they can feel like they are blowing cold air in the winter.

Old 01-02-2024, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ormari View Post
I will second this, kind of. While I don’t have first hand experience with a mini split in my own house, I do know someone here in Providence who is newly reliant on a mini split for his heating. Last winter was the system’s first season. We had an incredibly mild winter last year with the exception of 2-3 days in the single digits. He told me the system worked fine except during the cold snap, when the system could just barely keep it in the 50s.

I am familiar with mini splits out west, where they are perhaps better suited. But to me, they can feel like they are blowing cold air in the winter.
Thanks! We have friends who have them in Vermont, Maine, and Massachusetts and absolutely swear by them for the vast majority of their heating/cooling needs. But they all have some other heating source they can rely on in a pinch (pellet stoves are the popular choice). I don't know anyone who is quite ready to go mini-split only for the reasons you and IM outlined.

Old 01-02-2024, 03:16 PM

5,200 posts, read 6,142,795 times
My in-laws have them (Chepachet, RI) but like others have mentioned they have oil heat for backup when the weather really starts to get cold as the mini splits can’t keep it warm enough.

Old 01-02-2024, 04:32 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
I personally don't understand why ground loop heat pumps aren't getting more traction. They're far more efficient than air heat pumps.

Old 01-02-2024, 05:04 PM

1,300 posts, read 647,998 times
Here in PA in my old farmhouse I have a system made by "M" (non hyper-heat) and I've not used my primary heating system since install, about 7 years...and it keeps the rooms at 72 no matter the outside temps..I view them as PFM..

Old 01-03-2024, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBtwinz View Post
My in-laws have them (Chepachet, RI) but like others have mentioned they have oil heat for backup when the weather really starts to get cold as the mini splits can’t keep it warm enough.
Do they need the backup often? Between this forum and conversations with others, it sounds like there are only a handful of nights per year where they need the added support. Sitting in my warm home, that doesn't seem like enough to justify the secondary heat source. But I imagine that if it's 18 degrees out and my mini split is struggling to keep it above 50 degrees, I'll feel differently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I personally don't understand why ground loop heat pumps aren't getting more traction. They're far more efficient than air heat pumps.
I would imagine the installation is more expensive and you obviously need more yard space (probably would be tough to do in the city). But the consistently moderate ground temperatures have to make them much more efficient.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-C View Post
Here in PA in my old farmhouse I have a system made by "M" (non hyper-heat) and I've not used my primary heating system since install, about 7 years...and it keeps the rooms at 72 no matter the outside temps..I view them as PFM..
That's great! Did you do anything to improve the insulation, replace windows, etc? Or do you get strong sunlight even in the winter?

Old 01-03-2024, 10:57 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
I would imagine the installation is more expensive and you obviously need more yard space (probably would be tough to do in the city). But the consistently moderate ground temperatures have to make them much more efficient.

You can drill a vertical geothermal loop pretty much anywhere. No different than drilling an artesian well. Dandelion Energy does them in far Western Mass, Connecticut, and the Hudson Valley. Between MassSave and Federal tax credits, close to half of it is subsidized. Electricity is so absurdly expensive here that it's probably a fairly fast payback. You can also run it with a lot less solar since it's so much more efficient.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island