Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2020, 02:29 PM

9,320 posts, read 14,937,409 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
II believe I've also seen you (and Holly) negatively stereotype people living in Western Cranston, and I think it also involved subtle negative hints about an ethnic group. I'm still not completely sure what you and Holly were talking about. I asked and didn't receive a response. I suspect this was what some people call "dog whistles".
HUH????? living in western Cranston- what the........ are you talking about?

I think your holier than thou responses are becoming totally specious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2020, 02:43 PM

17,842 posts, read 9,277,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post

Not holier than thou. Just pointing out that, at times, we are all guilty of stereotyping.

Regarding Western Cranston, I don't believe I'm mistaken. I will try to find the convo later.

(I also recall you looking down on people who live in raised ranches.)

Old 03-07-2020, 02:45 PM

8,029 posts, read 4,720,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
As you know there is a regular poster on this forum with a bad habit of disparaging ALL "conservatives", "libertarians", PC students...and basically anybody who doesn't fit the mold of his own kind and very narrow world view. The funny thing is (well I mean it's not really "funny"), the same poster lecturing us on "right and wrong" is never anywhere to be seen when this hate and nastiness is taking place. After all the talk of "dog whistles" and whatnot, maybe a little MORE self reflection is due around here, I dare say.
You make a good point. I admit I don't have much extra sympathy for those who I perceive to have been "born on third base", but think "they hit a homer" in life. Don't know if entitled PC students fall into that category, but maybe. As for dog whistles, won't pretend not to hear them here, they're usually too obvious.

I'll try to do better & see narrow thinking (including my own) with a cleaner eye. Since it seems like just 2 or 3 people left here to talk to, we all should try to be nicer.

Old 03-07-2020, 06:57 PM

23,710 posts, read 18,816,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by independent man View Post
You make a good point. I admit I don't have much extra sympathy for those who I perceive to have been "born on third base", but think "they hit a homer" in life. Don't know if entitled PC students fall into that category, but maybe.
Some certainly do, but here we go again with the "stereotyping".

Quote:
Originally Posted by independent man View Post
I'll try to do better & see narrow thinking (including my own) with a cleaner eye. Since it seems like just 2 or 3 people left here to talk to, we all should try to be nicer.
With that in mind, it's all too easy to forget the MANY who passively visit this forum that literally dwarf the handful of posters who actually "post" here. As hard as it is to believe at times, people actually DO use this place as a source of information. And that comes with a huge responsibility, one that is to provide accurate information and good, bad, the ugly. Disagreements will happen, but it is our duty in those instances to debate the FACTS. Think something is "wrong", discuss why. Pi$$ing contests around calling out the "sincerity" of other posters and talking about "dog whistles" may give one a temporary "one up", but who really loses in that scenario? HINT...none of the regular forum members here who generally "already know what they know".

Old 03-08-2020, 05:13 AM

Holly, please accept my apologies. I was mistaken. I shouldn't have included you in the Western Cranston stuff.

Old 03-08-2020, 05:53 AM

8,029 posts, read 4,720,455 times
Quote:
With that in mind, it's all too easy to forget the MANY who passively visit this forum that literally dwarf the handful of posters who actually "post" here. As hard as it is to believe at times, people actually DO use this place as a source of information.
Yes, for example it's hard to believe my posts alone were read over 6,000 times yesterday. Not sure what that means, except lurkers may like controversy over information. However, I have seen too many balanced informative Rhode Island perspectives virtually disappear here, often leaving the extremes, with their not so veiled biases, to dominate in a bash-fest of one sort or another.

Wish I had a better period to put on this thread, but not today. I'll leave it to others.

Old 03-09-2020, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post

Quote:
Holly, please accept my apologies. I was mistaken. I shouldn't have included you in the Western Cranston stuff.
I remember that conversation as well, and while I don't think the reasoning was clear Western Cranston WAS mentioned as a place to avoid for a certain demographic if I'm not mistaken. And while it could have been as a matter of convenience, the fact that there was no elaboration or explanation made it appear as some sort of code speak.

Old 03-09-2020, 03:30 PM

Quote:
I remember that conversation as well, and while I don't think the reasoning was clear Western Cranston WAS mentioned as a place to avoid for a certain demographic if I'm not mistaken. And while it could have been as a matter of convenience, the fact that there was no elaboration or explanation made it appear as some sort of code speak.
I am giving Holly the benefit of the doubt.

Old 08-02-2020, 06:23 PM

Lincoln police charge man with 2 incidents of indecent exposure

"Police have charged a Pawtucket man with exposing himself in two separate incidents, outside a Cumberland Farms store and a nearby laundromat."

"Edward Gamboa, 43, of Amherst Avenue in Pawtucket"

"a man exposed himself outside the Cumberland Farms at 10:30 Tuesday night, as a female customer walked to her car."

"They also charged Gamboa with a similar incident July 21 at the City Coin Laundry Center, when a man exposed himself to a 16-year-old employee."

Old 08-02-2020, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Lincoln police charge man with 2 incidents of indecent exposure

"Police have charged a Pawtucket man with exposing himself in two separate incidents, outside a Cumberland Farms store and a nearby laundromat."

"Edward Gamboa, 43, of Amherst Avenue in Pawtucket"

"a man exposed himself outside the Cumberland Farms at 10:30 Tuesday night, as a female customer walked to her car."

"They also charged Gamboa with a similar incident July 21 at the City Coin Laundry Center, when a man exposed himself to a 16-year-old employee."
Damn lotta pervs in Pawtucket!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island