Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2024, 06:15 PM

4,778 posts, read 3,079,519 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessie Mitchell View Post
I did it between 17 and 30 too, but I guess it's still in my system.
Haha, good for you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2024, 07:55 PM

78,808 posts, read 61,019,259 times
Quote:
Does anyone here live in a vaguely nomadic way in retirement? I'm interested in the nuts and bolts of that. Say we put our most valuable stuff in storage, sell our house, and just live in different geographical areas in rentals, or as guests, or Airbnbs, or whatever. Time will come when we'll eventually end up back here where we are to be close to the kids, but between now and then we'd like to just live lightly, go where and when we want. Not really looking at a van life sort of deal, but just rentals, temporary or indefinite stays, that sort of thing.

I'm wondering about the nuts and bolts of that. What would constitute a "permanent address"? I'm assuming a person needs one. What about our medical insurance (Medicare is not the issue so much, just thinking about our Medigap policy)? I assume we'd have to pay state income tax somewhere, register and insure the car, etc.

Any books, websites, personal knowledge anyone has to share would be very appreciated!
While not exactly what you describe, I have bought a tidy little condo in a low cost area. I thus live cheaply and simply with a fixed address and can range about to my hearts content when I retire next year.

No need to store stuff or worry about any significant overhead while having a fixed address and place to regroup as needed.

IMO this seems to be a far easier solution than to completely detach when you are not looking to embrace "van life" etc.

Best of luck with your choice. My condo after upgrading cost maybe 155k, although I'll probably put another 15k in for bathrooms. (New AC, furnace, flooring, furniture, applicances, counter tops, etc.) So, going forward I will just roam as I see fit with family etc.

Old 05-15-2024, 08:01 PM

761 posts, read 624,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Consider planning for "decades" of retirement, or
Go-go
Slow-go
No-go seasons of retirement.
This is a simple, useful model. We've been in go-go for 4 years now, although our "go" was thrown off right from the get by COVID. We had to make some decisions we'd hoped to delay making and I think we might want to un-make and redirect. We've probably got another 5+ years of go-go left to live.

Not sure what slow-go is going to look like.

No-go is a time by which we want to be living close to the kids, for sure, which in our case means the NE. Not my favorite part of the country, but it's all about attachments and trade-offs and how time wears us all down.

Old 05-15-2024, 10:34 PM

869 posts, read 610,946 times
What a great idea, Jessie Mitchell, and I bet you can figure out how to make it work.

My husband passed away recently but we had a good seven years of traveling around with our Airstream. When he couldn't handle it anymore, it was sold.

Now that I'm on my own, it is doubtful I'll hit the road again for camping trips but it sure was wonderful. At the end of each trip, though, it was good to be home.

Old 05-16-2024, 10:13 AM

3,110 posts, read 2,251,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
We live in various and nice regions via owning multiple rural homes with separate cabins, / apartment for us whenever we choose to visit. We rent out the main home and keep an inexpensive car near airport. All apartments are fully equipped, so we travel light and often. We do the same with our main (tax free) domicile, where we rent out our 2000sf daylight basement apartment, and keep our stuff on the main floor.

Nothing's really perfect, but there are lots of options. Several RV friends build a barndominium with RV hookups+ apartment+ shop+ indoor laundry, kitchen, bath. Then they rent out RV spots, + have storage and a home to return to.

Escapees.com has lots of ideas, including their own medical rehab / aging facility.

Consider planning for "decades" of retirement, or

Go-go
Slow-go
No-go seasons of retirement.

Great blog / thread on C-D named "looking for Mayberry"
They authored a very detailed website that is still posted (afaik).
They ended up back home 24 months later, and still there last I heard.
I could not find it on CD. Is it possible to provide a link? Also, the book reference?

The topic of this thread is of keen interest.

Old 05-16-2024, 10:30 AM

761 posts, read 624,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
While not exactly what you describe, I have bought a tidy little condo in a low cost area. I thus live cheaply and simply with a fixed address and can range about to my hearts content when I retire next year.
This would be my absolute ideal, honestly, and so good for you that you've got that all lined up. Our problem has to do with the high COL in the places where this would make sense (friends and family wise) and would be desirable for us. This opens up an entirely different topic though! One also of great interest to me.

Old 05-16-2024, 11:22 AM

3,267 posts, read 5,026,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kavm View Post
I could not find it on CD. Is it possible to provide a link? Also, the book reference?

The topic of this thread is of keen interest.
After a bit of searching I found the blog written by the poster whose name is LookinForMayberry. I hope this link works (I'm not the best at linking): https://www.city-data.com/blogs/5730...rmayberry.html

Old 05-16-2024, 12:17 PM

6,806 posts, read 5,122,083 times
A search of thread titles discovers quite a few folks looking for their own Mayberry:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/sear...rchid=49018018

Old 05-16-2024, 12:23 PM

8,426 posts, read 4,461,865 times
Quote:
This would be my absolute ideal, honestly, and so good for you that you've got that all lined up. Our problem has to do with the high COL in the places where this would make sense (friends and family wise) and would be desirable for us. This opens up an entirely different topic though! One also of great interest to me.
Condos/tics/coops in high COL areas are affordable, if you don't insist upon the best neighborhoods, eg:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...29807958_zpid/

I own a small condo in this condo complex, though that is not my primary home. I used to rent it out for 11 years, then stopped due to damage by the tenants/ no longer wanting to take risks with tenants. It's a low income area but quite safe, and you can find similar neighborhoods in all high COL cities. That kind of property will not appreciate, but the purchase price and maintenance+tax costs are so low that lack of appreciation doesn't matter - it has its utility as a home base and a storage space.

Old 05-16-2024, 12:27 PM

926 posts, read 679,122 times
I love this idea. We plan to go to AZ for 3 months in the winter but I can see making this work for a few years. We love to travel. Our kids are both in WI but there are planes etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement