Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2024, 11:04 AM

8,168 posts, read 4,054,187 times

Advertisements

My new insurance company just sent me a love note they will have an inspector come evaluate my Park City home, both inside and outside. I've had all the surrounding bushes "mowed down" to the ground, but there are a couple mature trees near the back deck planted to provide some summertime shade in the late afternoon. My guess is they will tell me to have those trees removed or-else. My fear is they won't bother telling me to remove them and they'll just cancel my insurance.

$22,000 per year for two houses and three cars, and I can walk to the nearest fire station. Neighbors a few miles away in more wooded areas have reported quotes of over $100,000 per year for homeowners insurance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2024, 12:11 PM

11,141 posts, read 6,735,753 times
What a relief to have no more insurance worries.

Condo complex is covered by Generali who promptly paid 100% of repair cost after the big earthquake in 2016. And didn't up their price after that. That cost is in our HOA fee of $160 a month.

We opted not to get "walls-in" insurance as all we have to steal is a couple flat-screens. Our furniture is hand-made local hardwood but I can't see them hauling that heavy stuff out.

No car so that's a savings. We often comment how much we've saved in the insurance dept. by living here. And that's not even factoring in health insurance ($80 per month for us both).

Old 05-15-2024, 03:35 PM

88,888 posts, read 85,398,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator Fan 79 View Post
Interesting and if true, infuriating.
That is what our condo insurance broker told us.

Old 05-15-2024, 07:36 PM

1,672 posts, read 1,936,490 times
Just last week my insurance agent told me that any new HO business she writes must include a 1% (one percent) fee to cover wind & hail damage. For example, if your home cost $300,000, add 1% of that $300,000 to your HO premium.

Those of us already insured with the company are grandfathered in.

I bought my Saturn new in 2002; it only has 75K miles on it. My driving record is pristine, yet my liability premium is the same as full coverage was when the car was new.

1. We can blame HO premium increases on the weather.

2. We can blame auto premium increases on all of the stupid a-s-s- drivers who are on their cell phones and who also think their “talking cars” and backup cameras are the perfect answer to their own lack of common sense and inability to get behind the steering wheel of anything that has wheels & a motor.

We have entered the Bobbing Dog Head World in the Zager & Evan’s song “In The Year 2525”.

Old 05-15-2024, 08:20 PM

7,360 posts, read 4,706,744 times
People are complaining on Nextdoor about how expensive insurance is in Nevada. A few people attached articles stating risky drivers, higher theft rates and that 75% of the population lives in Vegas.

Old 05-15-2024, 10:20 PM

2,591 posts, read 2,789,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
People are complaining on Nextdoor about how expensive insurance is in Nevada. A few people attached articles stating risky drivers, higher theft rates and that 75% of the population lives in Vegas.
We just spent a night in Vegas, north side, on our way to the Sierras. It’s the hood. My god, what a crap hole.

Old 05-17-2024, 06:09 AM

3,456 posts, read 1,500,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ged_782 View Post
When I got quotes last year, Amica was by far the highest. Much higher than State Farm, which I had for Auto the last 27 years. I ended up with AAA Auto Club. Not the lowest, but lower than State Farm. YMMV.

I wasn't eligible for USAA, because I am not current or former military.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
I checked Amica and they are much higher. Years ago I had USAA but they got much too expensive. I can’t imagine what I would pay if I had a newer car. Nevada must have a bunch of bad drivers.
FWIW, I had a significant homeowner’s claim involving a broken water pipe while we were away from home for several weeks. The cost to repair the damage was nearly $100,000. Amica was our insurance provider. The claims process was easy, efficient, and effortless. There were absolutely no questions or challenges to any portion of our claim….anything we asked to be covered, was covered. I agree that Amica is expensive, but their claims service was fabulous. Other companies may be similar….I just don’t have any personal experience filing claims under other insurers.

Old 05-17-2024, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normashirley View Post

2. We can blame auto premium increases on all of the stupid a-s-s- drivers who are on their cell phones…..
Lol…makes perfect sense to me. Ridiculous isn’t it?

Old 05-17-2024, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moguldreamer View Post
Neighbors a few miles away in more wooded areas have reported quotes of over $100,000 per year for homeowners insurance.
Yikes. Obviously, I don’t know what your neighbors’ financial situations are, but that is a pretty big nut even for folks of significant means. I guess if you can afford insurance premiums like that, you can afford pretty much anything. Definitely a not a problem I will have to worry about.

Old 05-19-2024, 06:53 PM

8,168 posts, read 4,054,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVNomad View Post
Yikes. Obviously, I don’t know what your neighbors’ financial situations are, but that is a pretty big nut even for folks of significant means. I guess if you can afford insurance premiums like that, you can afford pretty much anything. Definitely a not a problem I will have to worry about.
Houses along the lines of these:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...89091011_zpid/

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...68842500_zpid/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement