Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2024, 11:41 AM

7,405 posts, read 4,191,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
Every time I see what happens when a hurricane or other bad weather hits VA, I count myself lucky. Never had to evacuate. No floods where I am. Yes we get snow but nothing like it was a few years ago.

At this age (82) I can't imagine going through stressful times like that.
Me, neither! I've had enough hurricanes and snowstorms in Westchester County to last me a lifetime!

Westchester had the Peekskill Comet in 1992. The county had 512 tornados since 1952. The last tornado hit Millwood/New Castle in 2018. The Stamford-Peekskill earthquake fault line is in the same family capable of producing at least a magnitude 6.0 earthquake. Never mind the 20 aftershocks from a recent earthquake located in NJ.

In comparison, Tidewater VA is quiet. In the Historic Triangle - Yorktown, Williamsburg and Jamestown, the last hurricane was in 1933 and it was cat 4. Doesn't seem to be a concern here.

Quote:
If an exceedingly rare windstorm (a 1-in-3,000 year storm event) occurred today, it could cause wind gusts of up to 169 mph to reach Virginia Beach. A hurricane of this severity has a 1% chance of occurring at least once over the next 30 years. In 30 years, an event of this same likelihood would show increased wind gusts of up to 186 mph due to a changing environment
.https://riskfactor.com/city/virginia...2000_fsid/wind

https://data.lohud.com/tornado-archive/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
Considering how long OP has been looking - will anything ever happen?
I think I win the prize for looking! From 2017 to 2020, three whole years of back and forth before I decided. My decision was based on my son's move to DC. If he hadn't relocated, I probably be still undecided.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2024, 11:54 AM

22,062 posts, read 13,093,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
If he hadn't relocated, I probably be still undecided.
Seems many base this decision on proximity to loved ones; that's makes it a no-brainer for most. When one could live ANYWHERE, all things being equal, it's not so easy to choose! I often wonder how people do it...

Old 05-05-2024, 12:19 PM
JRR

8,183 posts, read 5,694,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Seems many base this decision on proximity to loved ones; that's makes it a no-brainer for most. When one could live ANYWHERE, all things being equal, it's not so easy to choose! I often wonder how people do it...
Since living near loved ones was not a requirement for us, we just decided what was important to us and made up a list and started visiting different places to see if we wanted to keep them on the list. Wasn't too complicated and we wound up in a good place for us.

Old 05-05-2024, 12:42 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,777 posts, read 58,241,105 times
Quote:
.... When one could live ANYWHERE, all things being equal, it's not so easy to choose! I often wonder how people do it...
A rational weighted spreadsheet narrowed
down my choices. + Spouse comments,
"you're gonna be real lonely if you move
there"

Weather, interests, taxes (total cost of living), quality of life, medical/ availability to services... Are the more common drivers of relocation location.

Some are just plain burnt out, or adventuresome. Either works as a reason or excuse.

After exhaustive searching and planning.... I stayed put (which is not uncommon). There are very informative and well documented blogs and threads here "Seeking Mayberry", as well as interesting detours "young lisa7".

Plot your adventure, and check in frequently.

This week we're on a very informative and diverse quest. When we meet locals... "Why do you live here?". Very vast reasons

Old 05-05-2024, 01:21 PM

37,514 posts, read 61,545,240 times
Quote:
... there's only one NYC!
We are all very thankful for that.

Old 05-05-2024, 03:45 PM

2,062 posts, read 1,962,416 times
St. Augustine is one of my favorite places on earth. I was proposed to there, honeymooned there, and stayed in beautiful b and b’s there. I would never live there. Over the last 50 years, (though it was a tourist town before), it is no longer local friendly. Way too crowded- also you should look into the tourist taxes that locals also pay.

Looking ahead at weather predictions - hurricanes could be a factor in Va, as well as FL.

I love my visits to NYC and am lucky to have a good friend who live in Beacon, only a short train ride from there. It is a charming town by the river.

It is wonderful to have so many choices.

Old 05-05-2024, 04:14 PM

31,689 posts, read 41,099,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funisart View Post
St. Augustine is one of my favorite places on earth. I was proposed to there, honeymooned there, and stayed in beautiful b and b’s there. I would never live there. Over the last 50 years, (though it was a tourist town before), it is no longer local friendly. Way too crowded- also you should look into the tourist taxes that locals also pay.

Looking ahead at weather predictions - hurricanes could be a factor in Va, as well as FL.

I love my visits to NYC and am lucky to have a good friend who live in Beacon, only a short train ride from there. It is a charming town by the river.

It is wonderful to have so many choices.
Good advice

Old 05-06-2024, 01:28 AM

7,716 posts, read 3,337,999 times
It's not worth it to move from one plain vanilla suburb to another plain vanilla suburb in another state.

So, unless you are getting something completely different it is really not much worth the expense of moving (unless you are getting a 50% pay raise at work and the col is equivalent).

Old 05-07-2024, 09:06 AM

22,062 posts, read 13,093,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
It's not worth it to move from one plain vanilla suburb to another plain vanilla suburb in another state....unless you are getting something completely different...
If you're referring to Virginia Beach as the other "plain vanilla suburb," the "something completely different" would be the ocean (my lifelong dream).

Old Yesterday, 08:30 AM

7,225 posts, read 4,615,545 times
So are you going to visit all 3 places to help you decide? I only know one person that moved in retirement and that was my brother who went from the Midwest to the west coast. Since you live in a small town I totally understand why you want to move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement