Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2024, 06:56 PM

7,723 posts, read 12,614,165 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Oh yeah. I can remember being a kid in the Sixties and my mother saying, "America is just like in the last days of the Roman empire. We are becoming immoral and falling apart, blah blah blah."

Rock music came from Satan, "the family" was breaking down, people only cared about money...

The more things change, the more they remain the same.

Now I hear people saying the same thing. Nothing new under the sun.
Well, Momma was partly right. Just 50 years late.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 04-10-2024 at 08:25 PM.. Reason: Typos
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2024, 07:00 PM

7,723 posts, read 12,614,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar 77 View Post
I was born in 1955 and came of age in the world of "Women's Lib", ie Gloria Steinem and Betty Friedan. I was 11, 12 when the hippie movement was in full swing. To this day I don't like the hippie movement, I was always more mature for my age and thought the hippies were weird. I dressed as a hippie one day in High School just to see how it felt. Braided my wet hair the night before so it came out in ripples and frizz. Wore gold rimmed glasses, hip-hugger jeans, a crop top that showed my belly button, and fringed moccasins. I did not like it at all. I guess I was more "establishment" than that even at 16. And I cannot stand the peace sign......
This is hilarious. All your friends probably thought you looked great!

Old 04-10-2024, 07:28 PM

2,857 posts, read 1,802,529 times
Remembering the 1960's, 1955 is when Disneyland opened, we were visiting friends of my parents in Whitter, California. We attended Disneyland a few days after it opened; there wasn't Anything around it as this 9 year old recalls.

As you recall the 1960's, suggest you give your approximate age, child teenager, adult, your location. When this Northern California female first went to Kansas City to attend an airline school, other young females were shocked I left California, venture so far---on my own !

Anomaly comes to mind, went I graduated, decided to move to Chicago. To me, living there, it seemed I moved back in time, at least 10 years ! The 3 female roommates were from nearby towns.

Old 04-10-2024, 08:15 PM

5,327 posts, read 6,012,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRR View Post
Like so many other things in life, it isn't a big deal if it is happening to someone else.
My brother was drafted. Good Morning, Vietnam! We were a blue collar family, so it wasn't a complete surprise. Our next door neighbor was a Green Beret, and he returned home in a coffin.
My brother made it home in one piece. Well, at lest, physically. I still remember the horror I felt when he dived under the dining room table during a thunderstorm. Just thinking about it makes me want to vomit.

Old 04-10-2024, 08:42 PM

19,798 posts, read 9,336,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
My brother was drafted. Good Morning, Vietnam! We were a blue collar family, so it wasn't a complete surprise. Our next door neighbor was a Green Beret, and he returned home in a coffin.
My brother made it home in one piece. Well, at lest, physically. I still remember the horror I felt when he dived under the dining room table during a thunderstorm. Just thinking about it makes me want to vomit.
Yes. When I was a junior and senior in high school, I had a boyfriend who had come home from Vietnam in 1970, and one time he fell asleep on my parents' sofa and awakened screaming and in a sweat from a nightmare. I hadn't thought about that for years until I read your post. Btw, his liver was damaged to the point that he was told that he could never have any alcoholic beverage, and he also had several fairly bad scars; he was nineteen when that happened to him.

I was anti-war before that time, and that just made me even more so.

Old 04-10-2024, 08:44 PM

17,705 posts, read 29,796,003 times
Graduated college in 1971.
Lottery number was 80. Oops.
“Applicants wearing orthopedic appliances requiring active treatment are ineligible for induction.”
Worked in the ICBM industry (pen-aids, ABM technology, guidance computers) from 1966 thru 1972.

Old 04-10-2024, 09:52 PM
JRR

8,159 posts, read 5,651,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
There were three of us the same age who lived on the same street and grew up as buddies. One was drafted and spent his time at some base out west; never left the US. Another was drafted and was a medic in Vietnam; had some harrowing stories and never was the same person when he returned. Was a fun, smart guy that people liked to be around. Became moody with a hair trigger temper; married, divorced and moved to the North Carolina mountains to be away from everyone. And of course I joined the Coast Guard and wound up in Vietnam for almost a year.

When some people act as if the draft was no big deal it is because it did not affect them. For a lot of those who served and came home it changed the course of their lives. Not to mention those who did not come home.

Old 04-11-2024, 12:50 AM

364 posts, read 213,782 times
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

Old 04-11-2024, 04:18 AM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
Well, Momma was partly right. Just 50 years late.
So you missed the point of the post.

Old 04-11-2024, 06:57 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemstone1 View Post
Saw Jethro Tull in Berkeley....after a platefull of "brownies", what a show!
I went to every concert they did in the Bay Area, and most recently saw them on the Dot-Com tour here in Seattle, I think it was the year 2000. In high school I had a film class, and did a movie with "Aqualung" as the sound track.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement