Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 10:57 AM

9,031 posts, read 4,725,418 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I ended up ordering the Kimber K6. At some point down the road, I will try the SAs again, but for now at least I have a good gun that I can operate consistently, which is the most important thing. I take the NRA 5 hour class on the 18th, so hopefully I will have a lot more knowledge about all of them after that. I'm picking the gun up today, but I might leave it in a locker there for the time being as I don't have a safe yet, just a range bag with a lock, and I don't know if that is sufficient in NJ for home storage. But I know the instructor wants me to buy dummy bullets and practice with the gun at home to build up strength (I have also been doing forearm and wrist exercises with an elastic exercise band).
One lesson from all of this: there is no perfect gun. The one you chose is not the one I would have chose, but it may be the best for you.

Make sure your safe will hold the firearm with a little room to spare (in case you want to more padding, or change to a different gun, in the future). Make sure you are comfortable with the method of unlocking it. Remember, it's primary purpose is childproofing, not anti-theft.

Quote:
I'm twisted about where to install a safe like the ones that attach to the dresser and are kind of like a holster. The issue is I go to bed later then my honey cause I stay up to watch TV, and probably 30-50% of the time, I fall asleep out in the living room. So I'm not sure whether to get a portable safe instead. This is where having 2 guns would come in handy.
Portable might work, but, tactically speaking you may want to have a strategy of moving to a remote corner, at least partially concealed, and out of the way, in case the intruder simply wants to steal something and be on his way. (This is good legal defense, too.) Now, think where would you be able to retrieve your firearm on the way or after you are hidden. I have a friend in a high crime neighborhood, and he keeps his with him until time to go to bed.

Quote:
I want to thank every person who responded with advice, it was overwhelming just due to volume, but helpful and very much appreciated. I will continue to update my progress if anyone's interested, and welcome advice regarding the safes etc.
Several of us just love talking guns, but it gets a little dicey with the moderators, when we talk about defensive firearms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 11:23 AM

51,000 posts, read 36,695,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
One lesson from all of this: there is no perfect gun. The one you chose is not the one I would have chose, but it may be the best for you.

Make sure your safe will hold the firearm with a little room to spare (in case you want to more padding, or change to a different gun, in the future). Make sure you are comfortable with the method of unlocking it. Remember, it's primary purpose is childproofing, not anti-theft.

Portable might work, but, tactically speaking you may want to have a strategy of moving to a remote corner, at least partially concealed, and out of the way, in case the intruder simply wants to steal something and be on his way. (This is good legal defense, too.) Now, think where would you be able to retrieve your firearm on the way or after you are hidden. I have a friend in a high crime neighborhood, and he keeps his with him until time to go to bed.

Several of us just love talking guns, but it gets a little dicey with the moderators, when we talk about defensive firearms.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement