Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2023, 09:56 PM

5,583 posts, read 5,005,899 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
When I moved here 26 years ago for my career it was the most expensive place I had ever lived but it was only half the size as now and not nearly as expensive as now. Luckily I bought a condo within a few months.

Having lived in both Wisconsin and upstate New York I laughed at your inaccurate description of winter. Most years a sweater is my winter coat. In 26 years we have had what I consider 5 real winters. I do have a winter coat for those rare occasions. After a few years of living here I got rid of my boots, hats, etc.
It's a trend that is not going to stop as far as growth goes as everywhere has increased in population and price.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2023, 10:03 PM

7,074 posts, read 4,514,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman427 View Post
It's a trend that is not going to stop as far as growth goes as everywhere has increased in population and price.
I don’t expect it to as it’s the best place I have ever lived. It’s beautiful, there’s so much to do and the weather has a mild 4 seasons. Luckily I own a condo as I couldn’t afford to rent in retirement.

Old 10-13-2023, 10:43 PM

Quote:
I don’t expect it to as it’s the best place I have ever lived. It’s beautiful, there’s so much to do and the weather has a mild 4 seasons. Luckily I own a condo as I couldn’t afford to rent in retirement.
That is great.
Which part of Nevada is your condo in?

Old 10-13-2023, 10:58 PM

42,839 posts, read 26,242,918 times
Quote:
Sacramento was a hot housing market as of late and was considered to be the most affordable place. You don't get snow in Sacramento so you will not have to worry about that or ice in Sacramento.
Reno doesn't get that much snow in comparison to other areas but as you mentioned you had to deal with ice.
We lived at about 500' over downtown Reno which accounts for the ice, it wasn't nearly as bad during the last 2 years we lived there but the wind was always there usually in the afternoon. I haven't checked lately but several months ago Reno had a higher median home sale price than Sacramento which surprised me. At times I really miss it, but at this point I don't think we could afford to move back.

Old 10-13-2023, 10:59 PM

Quote:
That is great.
Which part of Nevada is your condo in?
Reno

Old 10-13-2023, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
We lived at about 500' over downtown Reno which accounts for the ice, it wasn't nearly as bad during the last 2 years we lived there but the wind was always there usually in the afternoon. I haven't checked lately but several months ago Reno had a higher median home sale price than Sacramento which surprised me. At times I really miss it, but at this point I don't think we could afford to move back.
Really?
It's usually the other way around once you leave CA and go to Nevada you won't be able to afford to return.

Old 10-13-2023, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Reno
I am looking over in Dayton to Fernley. With these two places one can go to Reno or Carson for main things like hospital care, dental and shopping.
I may also consider Elko which is way up there but more affordable.

Old 10-13-2023, 11:35 PM

Quote:
I am looking over in Dayton to Fernley. With these two places one can go to Reno or Carson for main things like hospital care, dental and shopping.
I may also consider Elko which is way up there but more affordable.
Elko is a small town and quite a distance from Salt Lake City which is where you would need to go if you had a medical condition that couldn’t be treated locally. Fernley is cheaper than Reno and not very far. The north valleys are also cheaper versus living right in Reno.

Old 10-13-2023, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Really?
It's usually the other way around once you leave CA and go to Nevada you won't be able to afford to return.
I also read that real estate in Reno is higher than California. But California has a state income tax and I have heard it’s more expensive to register vehicles, etc. Really you have to compare all the costs and not just housing.

Old 10-13-2023, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Elko is a small town and quite a distance from Salt Lake City which is where you would need to go if you had a medical condition that couldn’t be treated locally. Fernley is cheaper than Reno and not very far. The north valleys are also cheaper versus living right in Reno.
There is alot of housing available in Fernley. Seems that there is less housing available in Dayton and the prices appear to be higher in Dayton with smaller homes.
I wouldn't want to be in those major cities like Reno or Carson to live but to shop or other amenities those places would be fine to get needed services.

I didn't know that about Elko about needing to go to Salt Lake City for medical services
Perhaps that's why Elko is lower in cost as far as single family dwelling homes? It's definitely a smaller town which sounds good to me as well as the prices to get the newest home possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area