Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2024, 11:04 AM

17 posts, read 2,142 times

Advertisements

I’m getting married in two weeks to a wonderful man. He pastors a church. He and his late wife founded the church. He adored his late wife. They adored each other. I love that he had a good marriage and knows how to commit. I’m also a widow for 7 years.

I’m 70 and he’s 72. (That’s the amusing part). We are both very healthy. The thing that’s bothering me is her BIG picture is center wall as you enter the church. I think it should be moved to the side. I’m not sure if my thinking is a good one. He constantly talks about her, and I always listen and respect his feelings. But this picture is on my mind, and I just would like an unbiased opinion on if it should be moved and our picture put there. I will be working with him to grow his church, as did his late wife. But there’s a new sheriff in town. In my opinion she needs to become small and tucked away in his heart. As I did with my late hubby whom I was married to for most of my life thus far.

Just an unbiased opinion is appreciated. I will not make an issue of this with him at all. I just want to be sure what’s best.

Thank you

Last edited by Marblecake53; 05-06-2024 at 11:15 AM..

Old 05-06-2024, 11:11 AM

22,636 posts, read 47,782,880 times
And your amusing question is......????

Ah... you edited after I asked!

I edit to add:
Founders' photos should stay.
You are not a sheriff.
Your question reeks of jealousy, not amusement.

Last edited by Pitt Chick; 05-06-2024 at 11:23 AM..

Old 05-06-2024, 11:15 AM

48,580 posts, read 34,966,648 times
"There is a new Sheriff in town"?

I would look at it this way: If your future husband and his friend/brother founded the church and died, would you still feel the same way?

His late wife was a founder of the building and organization - you usually keep pictures of founders up and center stage.

I also, was a widow.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 05-06-2024, 11:16 AM

24,686 posts, read 11,023,362 times
Maybe this should be discussed prior to getting married?

Old 05-06-2024, 11:22 AM

2,140 posts, read 1,067,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marblecake53 View Post
I’m getting married in two weeks to a wonderful man. He pastors a church. He and his late wife founded the church. He adored his late wife. They adored each other. I love that he had a good marriage and knows how to commit. I’m also a widow for 7 years.

I’m 70 and he’s 72. (That’s the amusing part). We are both very healthy. The thing that’s bothering me is her BIG picture is center wall as you enter the church. I think it should be moved to the side. I’m not sure if my thinking is a good one. He constantly talks about her, and I always listen and respect his feelings. But this picture is on my mind, and I just would like an unbiased opinion on if it should be moved and our picture put there. I will be working with him to grow his church, as did his late wife. But there’s a new sheriff in town. In my opinion she needs to become small and tucked away in his heart. As I did with my late hubby whom I was married to for most of my life thus far.

Just an unbiased opinion is appreciated. I will not make an issue of this with him at all. I just want to be sure what’s best.

Thank you
You don't mention how long it's been since he lost his wife. That could be a large part of this inability to "let go" so to speak.

I would be uncomfortable with him discussing her often. He needs to let go and make sure he's completely healed before marriage again. That's not fair to you or him. You need to discuss this with him and let him know how you feel. He should not have a problem moving the picture and letting you in. If he does, you may want to re-think this marriage right now.

In short, I agree with you and you are being very reasonable. Please update when the time comes, I'm curious to know how he reacts.

Old 05-06-2024, 11:24 AM

2,140 posts, read 1,067,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
And your amusing question is......????

Ah... you edited after I asked!

I edit to add:
Founders' photos should stay.
You are not a sheriff.
Your question reeks of jealousy, not amusement.
Wow. Really? Kind of rough on her don't you think?

Old 05-06-2024, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bootsamillion View Post
You don't mention how long it's been since he lost his wife. That could be a large part of this inability to "let go" so to speak.

I would be uncomfortable with him discussing her often. He needs to let go and make sure he's completely healed before marriage again. That's not fair to you or him. You need to discuss this with him and let him know how you feel. He should not have a problem moving the picture and letting you in. If he does, you may want to re-think this marriage right now.

In short, I agree with you and you are being very reasonable. Please update when the time comes, I'm curious to know how he reacts.
Not discussing his wife would probably rule out like 30 years of his life, of which she was a part.

He worked with her AND was married to her.

How can he share anything of his personal life if it does not include his late wife as part of that conversation?

Old 05-06-2024, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Rough is subjective.

Is any of what she said incorrect?

Old 05-06-2024, 11:27 AM

22,636 posts, read 47,782,880 times
Quote:
Perhaps, perhaps not... but that was my opinion, which is what she asked for.
Do you really think her question is amusing?

She should not be marrying him, for a host of reasons.

Old 05-06-2024, 12:10 PM

5,687 posts, read 3,185,814 times
No, the picture should NOT be removed. As others pointed out, its a picture of the founders.

You will NOT ingratiate yourself with the congregation if you try and insist it come down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships