Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2024, 01:14 PM

17,597 posts, read 17,629,777 times

Advertisements

We have some chicken breast and a bag of frozen stir fry vegetables, how would you make chicken and vegetable stir fry? Do you cook the chicken and vegetables separate or all together in the same skillet? Would you add anything besides soy sauce? Hoping to make a light meal for the wife this weekend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2024, 01:55 PM

4,381 posts, read 4,231,250 times
I sear the chicken breast and then remove it from the wok to cook the vegetables. I like to add some fried chilies with garlic to the sauce before adding the chicken back to the mix. Also, some ginger or a Thai seasoning mix or paste. If I'm doing a Thai curry, I'll add some coconut milk or coconut milk powder.

Old 01-16-2024, 02:18 PM

333 posts, read 153,016 times
I make a marinade of the following:

3 Tbsp soy sauce
3 Tbsp rice wine vinegar
3 Tbsp VH stir fry sauce (I like spicy szcechuan)
1 scotch bonnet pepper (seeded and quartered - optional)
5 cloves garlic
1 thumb-sized piece of ginger, peeled and quartered

Combine all the above in food processor. Blend to a puree.

Chop chicken in bite sized pieces. Soak in marinade overnight. Chop an onion and sauté in wok until translucent. Add chicken and marinade and cook until half done. Add stir fry vegetables and cook until desired doneness. Check to ensure chicken is cooked.

IMPORTANT: Take slotted spoon and remove chicken and veg into a large bowl. Leave as much marinade/juice as possible in wok. Add 3 more Tbsp stir fry sauce and slowly reduce, stirring constantly until consistency of thick cream. Pour sauce over chicken and vegetables, mix and return to wok. Cook for three to five minutes, stirring often. Dress with a drizzle of sesame oil and serve over hot rice.

Old 01-16-2024, 02:26 PM

27,169 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
We have some chicken breast and a bag of frozen stir fry vegetables, how would you make chicken and vegetable stir fry? Do you cook the chicken and vegetables separate or all together in the same skillet? Would you add anything besides soy sauce? Hoping to make a light meal for the wife this weekend.
The chicken first and at about the halfway cooked point (exterior browned) add your vegetables. Besides soy sauce try tamari sauce (more depth of flavor than soy). I would also suggest toasted sesame oil (about a tablespoon) along with a teaspoon each of minced ginger and minced garlic (you can buy already minced in jars) and a pinch of chili flakes for some mild heat if desired. It's pretty easy and packs a flavor punch!

Old 01-16-2024, 04:12 PM

17,597 posts, read 17,629,777 times
Thanks. I’ll share these tips with my wife to see which she would like to try. She’s a fussy eater and has a gallbladder problem. It’s to be removed in roughly 3 weeks. I figure a stir fry chicken breast and vegetables should be easy on her stomach.

Old 01-16-2024, 04:13 PM

15,142 posts, read 27,760,706 times
Quote:
Have you looked through the recipes?

Old 01-16-2024, 04:31 PM

24,478 posts, read 10,804,014 times
Quote:
Thanks. I’ll share these tips with my wife to see which she would like to try. She’s a fussy eater and has a gallbladder problem. It’s to be removed in roughly 3 weeks. I figure a stir fry chicken breast and vegetables should be easy on her stomach.
With your wife's problems you may want to keep it simple.

Shred slice the chicken, sprinkle some cornstarch over it.

Have your vegetables ready. Have your rice cooked and kept warm.

For three portions 1/4 cup soy, a bit of garlic, a bit of heat (if she can have it), if you have ginger great!, a squirt of lime juice or vinegar. 1/8 cup of stock or Sherry or wine.

Heat a bit of oil in a pan big enough for chicken and vegetables. Cook your chicken on medium heat, stir! When it is cooked through move it to a warm bowl. Turn the heat up, add some oil and fry the vegetables. When they are about done add the chicken, add the liquid, let everything heat up together.

OR

Cook your chicken, cook your vegetables, combine, season with salt, pepper, garlic, lemon, a bit of heat and deglaze with some stock/wine.

Old 01-16-2024, 07:36 PM

19,743 posts, read 22,635,943 times
I hope your pan or wok can get super hot if you really want it 'stir fried'. I've found most commercial chicken breast is loaded with water, so as said cut into small pieces and fry in batches. Get the pan back up as hot as it will go before adding the next batch. I'd pour whatever liquid you have in the pan after browning / searing the meat for a few minutes, then remove and set aside. Do the veggies in the same fashion. Frozen veggies have a lot of water as well. Small batches. Get the pan hot one final time and throw the whole lot in for a final heat.

I've found that works better for me. Large batches I wound up with stir-boiled and not fried.

Old 01-16-2024, 08:51 PM

1,824 posts, read 794,851 times
Keep it simple. Cut chicken in cubes & cook till golden brown, add sprinkle of garlic powder. Defrost the veg in a colander to drain excess water & shorten cooking time, add them & cook lightly, then add bottled orange sauce to taste (Panda Express is good) & dash of soy sauce. That should be easy on her tummy. I always keep a bottle of orange sauce on hand.

Old 01-17-2024, 08:01 AM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times
Want that chicken breast to not be dry as cardboard? Velveting makes a WORLD of difference! And it's easy - https://thewoksoflife.com/how-to-vel...cken-stir-fry/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes