Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2016, 02:36 PM

5,346 posts, read 9,851,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
Make the tollhouse recipe and add about 1/3 cup nutella and 1/2 cup of chopped hazelnuts to the batter and bake. Yum!!!!
That sounds tasty! Another Tollhouse variation is to substitute 4 ounces of cream cheese for 4 ounces of butter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2016, 02:39 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,418,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
This is the other recipe that is tied for first place at this time.

Levain Bakery chocolate chip cookies

INGREDIENTS

2 sticks unsalted butter
1 c. light brown sugar
1/2 c. granulated sugar
2 eggs
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
2 1/2 c. all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
2 c. semisweet chocolate chips
1/2 c. chopped walnuts

DIRECTIONS

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Cream butter, brown sugar and white sugar until fully combined and smooth. Mix in eggs and vanilla extract, beating until the batter is glossy.
In a separate bowl, mix the flour, salt, baking powder and baking soda. Gradually stir this into the butter mixture. Fold in the chocolate chips and walnuts.
Form into loose, baseball-sized mounds and place on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
Bake for 16-18 minutes, or until the center has set (as in, it’s not jiggly) but not fully cooked. The edges should be lightly golden.
This post is meaningless without photo - so here's a link with a photo of this monster cookie. I gained ten pounds just from glancing at it for a nano second, you've been warned....

Levain Bakery – Cookie Monster

I think heaven is the place where we get to eat this entire cookie whenever we feel like it and not worry about keeping the girlish figure.

Old 06-20-2016, 02:40 PM

3,671 posts, read 3,553,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
This is the other recipe that is tied for first place at this time.

Levain Bakery chocolate chip cookies

INGREDIENTS

2 sticks unsalted butter
1 c. light brown sugar
1/2 c. granulated sugar
2 eggs
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
2 1/2 c. all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
2 c. semisweet chocolate chips
1/2 c. chopped walnuts

DIRECTIONS

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Cream butter, brown sugar and white sugar until fully combined and smooth. Mix in eggs and vanilla extract, beating until the batter is glossy.
In a separate bowl, mix the flour, salt, baking powder and baking soda. Gradually stir this into the butter mixture. Fold in the chocolate chips and walnuts.
Form into loose, baseball-sized mounds and place on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
Bake for 16-18 minutes, or until the center has set (as in, it’s not jiggly) but not fully cooked. The edges should be lightly golden.
I use pecans for this recipe, and do like it better because it uses the two leavenings instead of just one.

Old 06-20-2016, 02:41 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,885,964 times
I've always used the Toll House cookie recipe too. But it's been years since I made them, ever since DH had to go gluten free. I finally found a good gf recipe, so once in a great while we get chocolate chip cookies.
In the flat and crispy vs. soft and chewy, mine have always turned out flat and crispy. Someone told me once it has to do with whether you use shortening or butter. I can't remember which is which though.

Old 06-20-2016, 02:53 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,418,516 times
For texture and consistency, to me anyways, I always thought the perfect chocolate chip cookie was about three to four inches in diameter, softer/chewier in the center and drier/crispier towards the outer edges. Sometimes when I bake them they turn out just like that and then I just end up eating cookies for dinner. Crumbly chocolate chip cookies, like those original Chips Ahoy cookies - No. Can. Do.

Old 06-20-2016, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
This post is meaningless without photo - so here's a link with a photo of this monster cookie. I gained ten pounds just from glancing at it for a nano second, you've been warned....

I think heaven is the place where we get to eat this entire cookie whenever we feel like it and not worry about keeping the girlish figure.

Thanks for the photo!

This recipe made 8 cookies (following the directions to make loose, baseball-sized mounds of dough) and they were delicious.

These cookies really make a statement. They would be a bake sale best seller for sure.

Old 06-20-2016, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
The original Toll House recipe, using shortening instead of butter.

1 c. Crisco
3/4 c. brown sugar
3/4 c. granulated sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp. soda
1 tsp. hot water
2 1/4 c. flour
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. vanilla
1 pkg. chocolate chips
1 c. nuts chopped, optional
Cream Crisco and sugars. Dissolve soda in hot water. Add soda emulsion, vanilla and eggs to sugars and Crisco, and beat well. Stir dry ingredients together and add to batter. Fold in chips and nuts. Bake at 350 degrees for 12 minutes.
When we were experimenting with the original Toll House recipe we got the best results using 1/2 butter and 1/2 shortening, and adding an extra teaspoon of vanilla.

Old 06-20-2016, 03:01 PM

24,204 posts, read 19,194,523 times
I use the Tollhouse recipe but use 1/2 chocolate chips and 1/2 M&Ms. Yummy!

Old 06-20-2016, 05:33 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,809,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post

Holy moley!!! I must have one of those cookies.

Old 06-20-2016, 05:45 PM

5,331 posts, read 8,539,987 times
These are my favorite gluten-free chocolate chip cookies - Thick & Chewy Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Cookies

I like them because they don't taste GF
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes