Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2012, 06:11 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,415,942 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
I use cream of chicken soup because I hate mushrooms and I also add a container of sour cream and will get the Southern Style frozen hashbrowns from time to time just for the peppers. My recipe does not feed 48 though and we top ours with corn flakes crushed up or frosted flakes crushed up if you want a bit of sweet.
You're describing the recipe I learned as Mormon Funeral Potatoes:

Funeral Potatoes Recipe

It's not just for Mormons, I'm pretty sure. I learned the recipe from a catholic Mexican-American colleague several years ago.

I never tried it with frosted flakes - that sounds interesting! Does it taste good that way?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2012, 11:04 PM

10,113 posts, read 10,962,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
I have to ask, isn't this just a pared down version of Mormon Funeral Potatoes?
I don't know if it's derived from the Mormon Funeral Potatoes or not but I do know it's good. I read your attachment recipe and the Mormon recipe includes more ingredients and I don't know how I would like corn flakes in the recipe. But corn flakes and Rice Krispies are two of my favorite breakfast cereals.

I have used cream of mushroom soup and then tried the cream of chicken. I do like the chicken soup best. I buy the Southern cut hash browns not the shredded.

The first time I tried it I followed the recipe exactly, except I did cut it and it was delicious as originally posted with only the three ingredients. But then I had to experiment.

I just like anything simple, quick and cheap to prepare ... if it turns out good to eat.

Old 09-08-2012, 09:06 AM

8,091 posts, read 15,427,067 times
Quote:
I use cream of chicken soup because I hate mushrooms
Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
I don't use cream of chicken but have used cream of celery before.

Try Cream of Onion

Old 12-01-2015, 06:21 PM

5,346 posts, read 9,850,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
Try Cream of Onion

I'd like to try using Cream of Onion soup, do you use a home made recipe for Cream of Onion soup? Or is it canned?

Old 12-03-2015, 02:58 PM

50,331 posts, read 63,906,560 times
I agree that there are a few versions. I make the Hashbrown Potato Casserole, more like the funeral potato recipe. Hashbrowns, soup, cheese, butter. However you make it, it's awesome. I make it for Easter, with ham, or for any holiday buffet. Everyone loves it.

Old 12-30-2023, 06:02 AM

5,346 posts, read 9,850,819 times
Quote:
I use cream of chicken soup because I hate mushrooms and I also add a container of sour cream and will get the Southern Style frozen hashbrowns from time to time just for the peppers. My recipe does not feed 48 though and we top ours with corn flakes crushed up or frosted flakes crushed up if you want a bit of sweet.
I’m making this today for a brunch get together, and I will try adding some sour cream. I’ve always used just the three ingredients in the original recipe before.

I don’t think I would care for Frosted Flakes in the recipe though.

Old 12-31-2023, 12:28 PM

12,038 posts, read 8,403,014 times
These potatoes casseroles are no-fail and addictive!

I make mine to go with the Easter Ham.

Layer hash browns, S&P, sharp cheddar, another layer of all, then pour a half pint whipping cream on top and bake. Simple au gratins. But the family, since tasting daughter's funeral potatoes, has decided they like them better.

Old 12-31-2023, 03:38 PM

1,556 posts, read 1,156,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
But the family, since tasting daughter's funeral potatoes, has decided they like them better.
Since they like hers better, she can make them from now on... Sounds good to me!

Happy New Year to all.

Old 01-02-2024, 08:00 AM

50,331 posts, read 63,906,560 times
Circling back to the original post. Those proportions are way off. They’d be dry as dust.

Old 01-02-2024, 08:10 AM

10,887 posts, read 7,370,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
These potatoes casseroles are no-fail and addictive!

I make mine to go with the Easter Ham.

Layer hash browns, S&P, sharp cheddar, another layer of all, then pour a half pint whipping cream on top and bake. Simple au gratins. But the family, since tasting daughter's funeral potatoes, has decided they like them better.
I use fresh sliced spuds, pressure cook them, then layer with cheese, seasoning, and evaporated milk. Bake/broil and it's ready in 20 minutes.

I avoid canned soups, too many questionable ingredients.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes