Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2024, 05:24 AM

43,505 posts, read 77,499,749 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRVT View Post
Step 1 Complete: Rod Brind'Amour signs a multi-year extension.
I see all the "insider" reports that Rod and staff are extended. I surely would like to see the Canes announce it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2024, 12:12 PM

8,822 posts, read 10,291,521 times
I'm not that excited anymore about Rod coaching this team. If he hasn't peaked yet, I feel it's coming. The same issues that come up in the playoffs (failure to win road games, no overtime wins in their last 5, abysmal power play, and this past postseason failure to see Freddy was shaky) probably won't get addressed again.

I'm getting tired of watching the team shoot 40 times into the opposing goaltenders chest with no one there for a rebound. I'm tired of the power play not clicking when it's needed. I'm tired of players like Svech and KK, and occasionally Aho, going weeks to sometimes months without scoring goals. I'm tired of Rods refusal to call timeouts or make goaltender changes as he should have done in game 6. I'm going to be really disappointed when Necas starts having career seasons elsewhere and wondering why Rod couldn't utilize him better.

I get it, we're not getting anyone better but I fear Rods stubbornness is going to backfire on him pretty soon. He could prevent this and hire someone to help him with the forward corps and the powerplay but it appears Jeff Daniels is sticking around. At some point the coaches have to take ownership of their teams shortcomings. I feel that hasn't been addressed.

We'll see, but right now I'm not excited.

Old 05-19-2024, 01:11 PM

I'm glad Rod and crew are extended.
They rise to a level of opportunity that few other teams experience.
And, the guys like to play for him. Well, I hope we see evidence of that in signing the UFAs they want to keep.

https://www.nhl.com/hurricanes/news/...fmnNOMvqKZ977_

Old 05-19-2024, 02:46 PM

Exit Interview notes from Walt Ruff:

https://www.nhl.com/hurricanes/news/...uotebook-day-1

https://www.nhl.com/hurricanes/news/...uotebook-day-2

Old 05-19-2024, 03:30 PM

4,294 posts, read 4,752,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canes2006Champs View Post
I'm not that excited anymore...
To each, his/her own. But with all due respect, it sounds like sour grapes to me. The reality: NYR is a better team. Not by much, but better. The best teams don't always win, and if Carolina had better goaltending, we could have scraped by the Rangers and we wouldn't be having this conversation -- at least, not yet. I'd argue that Florida is another slightly better team on paper. Tactics go only so far; you have to look at talent. It didn't help that the Canes lost Fast and Pesce. Fast was a good checking forward, and although DeAngelo played alright he's no Pesce. The Canes goalie probably faces a few less scoring chances with Fast and Pesce in the lineup. Andersen had a .932 save percentage going into the playoffs. Kotchetkov had .911. You're going to sit Andersen with those numbers? And if you look at save percentage in the two playoff series, Kochetkov had .880 in a single game and Andersen had .895. Take your choice between them, but you're unlikely to win a Cup either way with save percentages like that.

Old 05-20-2024, 07:41 AM

192 posts, read 103,928 times
I said it before......goaltending. As others posted, good chance the Hurricanes would have advanced if they had a top tier goaltender.

Sitting in my arm chair, I'm a Brind'Amour fan. The person I would look at closely is Waddell.

Old 05-20-2024, 03:22 PM

Don Waddell says they have spent more time trying to get Alexander Nikishin to the NHL than any other player.

13 minutes of highlights:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwehlx77FZg

Old 05-21-2024, 06:52 AM

I'm sure they hope to get an answer on Nikishin before they decide what to do about Skjei, Pesce, Chatfield, and DeAngelo. Morrow will probably fill one of those slots, but it would help the salary cap a lot if Nikishin could fill another.

Old 05-21-2024, 08:09 AM

1,239 posts, read 1,082,479 times
So apparently Linus Ullmark is requesting a trade from Boston. He's a little on the old side but he has never had a SV% below .905. 40+ games played each of the last three seasons with SV% of .917, .938, and .915.

Perhaps we have a trade partner for Necas? Necas isn't a fit here and we could really use a solid Goalie.

Old 05-22-2024, 04:44 PM

I'd rather have a 4-player deal where we give up Andersen and Necas in exchange for Ullmark and Morgan Geekie, former Cane. He's a right-handed shot at center that the Canes need and had a good year in Boston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary