Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2024, 07:46 PM

14,928 posts, read 12,126,747 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
FULL STOP! So glad you wrote that...I'll never go there. I'm militant about not paying for parking, and having to do it on an app is like kryptonite to me...or boiled corned beef 'n cabbage...gagging sounds. Ask my parents how forcing me to eat corned beef went for them when I was 5.

I have a friend with a boat, so maybe I go by water with him...otherwise...hard pass.

I used to spend ~$10k/yr at St Armands circle in SRQ, until they started charging for parking, now I spend < $200/yr..

I used to spend $10k/yr at Pass-A-Grille beach in St. Pete, until the parking meters went in...now ZERO.

I'm sure none of these places miss me, or my cash, & I won't let their door hit me in the azz.

They do them, and I do me.
From what I've heard, they've started charging for parking in downtown Ft. Myers as well. Revenue where you can get it, I guess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2024, 03:34 AM

1,151 posts, read 615,539 times
Quote:
FULL STOP! So glad you wrote that...I'll never go there. I'm militant about not paying for parking, and having to do it on an app is like kryptonite to me...or boiled corned beef 'n cabbage...gagging sounds. Ask my parents how forcing me to eat corned beef went for them when I was 5.

I have a friend with a boat, so maybe I go by water with him...otherwise...hard pass.

I used to spend ~$10k/yr at St Armands circle in SRQ, until they started charging for parking, now I spend < $200/yr..

I used to spend $10k/yr at Pass-A-Grille beach in St. Pete, until the parking meters went in...now ZERO.

I'm sure none of these places miss me, or my cash, & I won't let their door hit me in the azz.

They do them, and I do me.
Seriously, a couple bucks an hour makes a difference with you? Sounds like with your means, it doesn’t matter. Just saying,

Old 03-23-2024, 06:16 AM

1,066 posts, read 764,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY MAN View Post
I've been over there 5 or 6 times, no surcharge on credit card and we tip with cash. I'm not a fan of the parking as you have to pay thru your cell phone on an app. Went last week to Half Cracked with wife and kids on a friday night, no wait for a table. After dinner we hit the rooftop bar. The initial allure to the property has worn off, been there and done that. Hopefully they survive.
Thank you for this information

Old 03-23-2024, 04:41 PM

25,693 posts, read 12,772,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
From what I've heard, they've started charging for parking in downtown Ft. Myers as well. Revenue where you can get it, I guess.
I wont be going to downtown Ft. Myers either then.

Old 03-23-2024, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stank1964 View Post
Seriously, a couple bucks an hour makes a difference with you? Sounds like with your means, it doesn’t matter. Just saying,
Yep...it matters a lot. It's the principal of taxing something over and over again. Its just a money grab game that I choose not to play. I avoid paid parking as much as possible. I cross entire areas off my list of places to go.

I used to love St Armands Circle, but now, its just a place I drive through on my way to someplace else. Same w/ St. Pete beach.

When they do it to Venice, my house will be listed by for sale by owner, & I'll be on my way out.

I'll never go to Sunseeker in a car, or downtown Ft Myers either...or downtown Sarasota either; if its pay to park.

Old 03-25-2024, 05:09 PM

1,151 posts, read 615,539 times
Quote:
Yep...it matters a lot. It's the principal of taxing something over and over again. Its just a money grab game that I choose not to play. I avoid paid parking as much as possible. I cross entire areas off my list of places to go.

I used to love St Armands Circle, but now, its just a place I drive through on my way to someplace else. Same w/ St. Pete beach.

When they do it to Venice, my house will be listed by for sale by owner, & I'll be on my way out.

I'll never go to Sunseeker in a car, or downtown Ft Myers either...or downtown Sarasota either; if its pay to park.
Wow, so you actually deprive yourself of what are some of the best experiences in the immediate area over a few dollars an hour? What ever makes you happy. I don’t live my life that way. I am not trying to be morbid, but…. You may die with that all the money you saved in the bank, ya know? Your principles won’t matter anymore.

I guess you’re saying that not paying to park makes you happier than a great meal at Cafe L’Eurooe or Blu Kouzine or whatever used to be your favorite place on the circle,for instance?

I guess I see your point, but that’s not how I make decisions.

Old 03-28-2024, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stank1964 View Post
Wow, so you actually deprive yourself of what are some of the best experiences in the immediate area over a few dollars an hour? What ever makes you happy. I don’t live my life that way. I am not trying to be morbid, but…. You may die with that all the money you saved in the bank, ya know? Your principles won’t matter anymore.

I guess you’re saying that not paying to park makes you happier than a great meal at Cafe L’Eurooe or Blu Kouzine or whatever used to be your favorite place on the circle,for instance?

I guess I see your point, but that’s not how I make decisions.
I only go to St. Armands once a year now, & I know a secret spot I can park for free, if I get there on the right day/time. Last time I was there, we ate lunch at Cafe L'Europe. Its a lot cheaper for lunch than it is for dinner.

A friend of mine just went to Sunseeker last week, but I have not asked her yet how much parking cost. She was there before, so she doesn't mind paying to park.

Paying for parking, and $4 for soft drinks in restaurants, are 2 things I just won't do. I won't pay for bottled water either. I might pay $5,000 to charter a 46' Prestige yacht for 6 hours though.

Warren Buffet drives a 10 year old Cadillac. Sam Walton drove an old Red pick up truck for decades. Lots of wealthy people are thrifty.

I was poor as a child, & to this day, that influences some of my spending habits. I like C-D's frugal living forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte