Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2015, 11:15 AM

3,440 posts, read 2,525,090 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by City__Datarer View Post
Thanks for the ideas/suggestions!

Some of the park model homes seem quite nice. They are SMALL! (even by my standards ). But some come with a storage shed and/or a large Florida room adjoining the main structure. And some have a very charming cottage-type look.

As with any other type of home, there are trade-offs to consider with (any size of) mobile/manufactured home, especially as the ones in 55+ resident-owned communities seem to have gone up a lot in price recently (even the older ones).

So, I look at new listings of those but also continue to consider other possibilities.

I hope that if anyone who's built a small single-family home in recent years comes across this thread, they will post their story.

Thanks again to everyone who posted for all the great info and suggestions!
I was thinking that too, there are still some inexpensive lots in the area, why not find a small independent builder to put a house up for you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2015, 03:18 PM

3,645 posts, read 7,147,419 times
you don't think she has already asked

Old 08-26-2015, 09:33 PM

517 posts, read 1,091,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowtired14 View Post
I was thinking that too, there are still some inexpensive lots in the area, why not find a small independent builder to put a house up for you?
My earlier post saying I could afford a 600-square-foot new home (after factoring in lot, utilities, etc.) was based on asking Mr. Sunshine what a house that small would likely cost, and then looking at some lot prices. His answer was very detailed and helpful--he saved me a lot of time in learning exactly what would be possible for me: a very small house . . . which is actually more than I expected to be possible, so a very pleasant surprise.

I haven't decided yet whether this is too much of a project for me to take on or if I could manage it. And if I did decide I wanted to do this, I don't know whether Mr. Sunshine or any other quality builder would be willing to take on a project of this size in this busy of a real estate market--the market was very different when I started this thread several years ago.

But I'm definitely thinking about this now (thank you again to the person who bumped this old thread and put this back in my thoughts, as well as to everyone else who's responded). At least in the price range I'm familiar with, existing homes have gone up so much that building new is very worth considering.

Old 08-27-2015, 09:53 AM

3,440 posts, read 2,525,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City__Datarer View Post
My earlier post saying I could afford a 600-square-foot new home (after factoring in lot, utilities, etc.) was based on asking Mr. Sunshine what a house that small would likely cost, and then looking at some lot prices. His answer was very detailed and helpful--he saved me a lot of time in learning exactly what would be possible for me: a very small house . . . which is actually more than I expected to be possible, so a very pleasant surprise.

I haven't decided yet whether this is too much of a project for me to take on or if I could manage it. And if I did decide I wanted to do this, I don't know whether Mr. Sunshine or any other quality builder would be willing to take on a project of this size in this busy of a real estate market--the market was very different when I started this thread several years ago.

But I'm definitely thinking about this now (thank you again to the person who bumped this old thread and put this back in my thoughts, as well as to everyone else who's responded). At least in the price range I'm familiar with, existing homes have gone up so much that building new is very worth considering.
I know what you're saying, timing is everything, my wife and I are in a similar situation, I retire in a couple of years and our plan is to build but prices up north are stagnant in our area (need to sell our house here first) while prices in FL are rising. Bad combination, but we have some time to go so we may still do well if prices begin to move here in the coming year. But we can't lament over the past, and we aren't going to do anything until we are ready, if we missed our chance in one area, we'll find a solution in another, so just as in life we adapt and make the best of it. MrSunshine is a great guy, very reputable and realistic, I've relied on him for the current conditions of the building market as we wait to make our move

Old 08-27-2015, 08:20 PM

517 posts, read 1,091,728 times
I think you're right that if people find themselves out of sync with the real estate market (needing to sell low and/or buy high), it helps to be able to see the glass as half full and have an attitude of making the best of things going forward. I feel very lucky and grateful for my life in Southwest Florida--despite having very possibly the world's worst real estate timing!

Thanks again for all your suggestions, and best of luck with your retirement plans!

Old 08-28-2015, 07:51 AM

1,133 posts, read 2,930,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr&mrssunshine View Post
The smallest home we currently build is a little over 1300 sq ft 3/2/2. its ideal for one person, maybe 2
Just wondering, Why would a 1300 sq. ft. 3/2/2 be fine for just one person? it has 3 bedrooms, 2 baths and a 2 car garage? Which model is this Mr. Sunshine?

Old 08-28-2015, 08:33 AM

704 posts, read 771,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcoolmrcool28 View Post
Just wondering, Why would a 1300 sq. ft. 3/2/2 be fine for just one person? it has 3 bedrooms, 2 baths and a 2 car garage? Which model is this Mr. Sunshine?
At least to me, 1300 sf. under a/c would be great for a retired couple if the floorplan is laid out well. That was all we were looking for when we bought our house in Venice.

Old 08-28-2015, 12:27 PM

1,133 posts, read 2,930,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gal View Post
At least to me, 1300 sf. under a/c would be great for a retired couple if the floorplan is laid out well. That was all we were looking for when we bought our house in Venice.
And it keeps those pesky relatives from staying all winter "Sorry, we don't have enough room"

Old 08-28-2015, 12:36 PM

704 posts, read 771,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcoolmrcool28 View Post
And it keeps those pesky relatives from staying all winter "Sorry, we don't have enough room"
Actually, you should still have at least one small spare bedroom. That way they can't come in a herd and won't stay forever.

Old 08-28-2015, 02:56 PM

3,645 posts, read 7,147,419 times
whoops sorry its actually a 2 bed we designed especially for the lady in question. we call it the Charleston
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte