Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2023, 11:00 AM

4,029 posts, read 2,380,972 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
I've caught a few of the games.. I'm really enjoying watching St Louis and the DC team, the latter for two reasons. Beer snakes and "**** Dan Snyder" chants.

The running games and kicking games seem to be coming on a bit. I think they had the first 100 yard rusher of the season back in week 3.

The kickoffs are really interesting. I don't think that's something I'd like to see in the NFL.. But kudos for trying something, you know?
Hundley is the QB for that Vegas team. Didn't he play for the Packers at one point?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2023, 11:12 AM

17,639 posts, read 15,332,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet life View Post
Hundley is the QB for that Vegas team. Didn't he play for the Packers at one point?

Did he ever play for them? He was on the roster.. Whether he made it into a game is another story. I'll check that in a minute.. But he was on the Ravens roster last year.

When he was drafted, he spent 3 seasons with the Packers, then to the Seahawks, the Cards, the Colts and then the Ravens.

He actually started 9 games in the '17 season. Must be the year before Jordan Love?

Those were the only games he started in his NFL career. He did play a few games in Arizona during the 19 season.. But, just mop up duty.

He's been splitting time with Luis Perez for Vegas. Perez played, so far as I saw, all snaps last week.

FWIW.. The best QB in the league seems to pretty much be Ben DeNucci.. I just now looked him up because I couldn't remember where I remembered him from.. Dallas.

Old 03-13-2023, 11:31 AM

10,026 posts, read 8,667,848 times
More than 38,000 attended the Battlehawks game Sunday. New record for all of spring football.
Definitely a football town.

Old 03-13-2023, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliasfinn View Post
More than 38,000 attended the Battlehawks game Sunday. New record for all of spring football.
Definitely a football town.

Yeah, I just saw the numbers. you could tell it was a good crowd there.. Both in size and enthusiasm.

Kinda make you wonder how the NFL couldn't keep a franchise there. Look, I know the dome they had there was problematic, being built in the 90's.. But.. The fact they're pulling that many people for an XFL game.. and pulled best in the league in the AAF, as I recall as well.

Old 03-13-2023, 04:07 PM

3,748 posts, read 2,579,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Yeah, I just saw the numbers. you could tell it was a good crowd there.. Both in size and enthusiasm.

Kinda make you wonder how the NFL couldn't keep a franchise there..
Yeah, it was a healthy crowd, especially considering it's a new product, without any traditions/generational loyalty yet. The fans looked genuinely excited about their (new) home team.

I recognize it's a pipe dream.. but I hope some of these XFL & USFL teams survive & thrive. I'm rooting for pro leagues that give us an alternative to the NFL's monopoly. I don't even care if the talent level is below the NFL.. I'm rooting for any option(s). And I hope if some markets do succeed, they don't fold into the NFL (like the AFL or ABA, etc). It would be cool to have a (stable) alternative, spring or fall.

Old 03-14-2023, 06:46 PM

3,973 posts, read 5,786,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babe_Ruth View Post
Yeah, it was a healthy crowd, especially considering it's a new product, without any traditions/generational loyalty yet. The fans looked genuinely excited about their (new) home team.

I recognize it's a pipe dream.. but I hope some of these XFL & USFL teams survive & thrive. I'm rooting for pro leagues that give us an alternative to the NFL's monopoly. I don't even care if the talent level is below the NFL.. I'm rooting for any option(s). And I hope if some markets do succeed, they don't fold into the NFL (like the AFL or ABA, etc). It would be cool to have a (stable) alternative, spring or fall.

It's hard. Gridiron football is such an expensive sport to maintain. During the CFL's abortive expansion in the mid-90's, a few teams like the San Antonio Texans and the Baltimore Stallions were reportedly doing quite well ticket wise. The Stallions went so far as to win the Grey Cup, the only American franchise ever to win that championship. The rest of the American teams fared poorly however and put an end to the experiment. Though a long shot because of the sour taste after that failed 90's expansion, I actually don't mind Canadian football returning to the US. It could be just 1-2 teams, not necessarily an entire division. Canadian rules are similar but different enough to entertain so that the audience is not watching the same thing as the NFL. Dwayne Johnson, who was in the Calgary Stampeders practice squad for part of a season, held talks with the CFL to partner it with the revived XFL but unfortunately those talks fell through. Too bad, because we could have been watching Spring Canadian football right now.

Old 03-23-2023, 12:08 AM

3,631 posts, read 3,424,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Peasant View Post
It's hard. Gridiron football is such an expensive sport to maintain. During the CFL's abortive expansion in the mid-90's, a few teams like the San Antonio Texans and the Baltimore Stallions were reportedly doing quite well ticket wise. The Stallions went so far as to win the Grey Cup, the only American franchise ever to win that championship. The rest of the American teams fared poorly however and put an end to the experiment. Though a long shot because of the sour taste after that failed 90's expansion, I actually don't mind Canadian football returning to the US. It could be just 1-2 teams, not necessarily an entire division. Canadian rules are similar but different enough to entertain so that the audience is not watching the same thing as the NFL. Dwayne Johnson, who was in the Calgary Stampeders practice squad for part of a season, held talks with the CFL to partner it with the revived XFL but unfortunately those talks fell through. Too bad, because we could have been watching Spring Canadian football right now.
Well, we don't have spring Canadian football. But we do have summer Canadian football, with the season starting in July, though there are exhibition games in June.

I remember the failed CFL expansion into the US, and I feel now as I did then: it was too much too soon. One or two teams might work now. The market(s) would have to be American cities where no pro sports exist, or are within easy driving distance, and where college football is the lowest-of-the-low, division-wise, and does not have the hold on local fans as it does elsewhere (thinking NCAA Division I schools). Maybe Great Falls, Montana; or Schnectady, New York.

Old 03-23-2023, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
Well, we don't have spring Canadian football. But we do have summer Canadian football, with the season starting in July, though there are exhibition games in June.

I remember the failed CFL expansion into the US, and I feel now as I did then: it was too much too soon. One or two teams might work now. The market(s) would have to be American cities where no pro sports exist, or are within easy driving distance, and where college football is the lowest-of-the-low, division-wise, and does not have the hold on local fans as it does elsewhere (thinking NCAA Division I schools). Maybe Great Falls, Montana; or Schnectady, New York.

They only had one or two good locations as I recall.. Which was Baltimore.

Quite frankly.. Baltimore will show up even if they have an NFL team. We had an indoor football team here in the upstate of SC, Baltimore had the Mariners.. and Baltimore fans would travel here to watch them. I mean, that's.. 8 hours of travel, easy. For an INDOOR football team!

Didn't the CFL go to Birmingham as well? Yeah.. As I recall, they had good attendance until college football season started.

Old 04-02-2023, 07:45 PM

10,026 posts, read 8,667,848 times
Only 3 games left for the Battlehawks and they're all home games.

Old 04-16-2023, 10:50 AM

3,748 posts, read 2,579,065 times
DC has a good team.. and I'm liking their helmets and color scheme. My only uniform complaint, I'm not feeling the all-red color rush look. They look like red Twizzlers. White pants would be a nice contrast with the red jersey.

Anyways, cool to see a winning football team in Washington. Healthy crowd for a spring team too..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football