Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2021, 02:47 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,179,420 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remar123456 View Post
She smokes outside or in the garage. It's not fair to condemn her because of one bad habit.
She is highly addicted to nicotine, she is afraid of pain, and she does not want to undergo the bodily changes of pregnancy and childbirth. If she truly wants to be a mother, she should be willing to stop smoking, learn about pain management in childbirth and take steps to keep her body healthy during pregnancy. I stand by my previous post. Women who want children will do anything to have them.

I strongly suspect your wife is on the fence about motherhood, at best. If I am wrong, and she does want children, but is horribly fearful, then, again, you both need counseling. I know that some women fear childbirth very much. This fear can have a bad effect on a marriage. It can overwhelm a desire to have children. But women’s bodies are designed to bear children. And doctors deal with frightened expectant mothers frequently. They will give meds to reduce the pain if that’s what she wants.

My point is, that you two need to be able to discuss this with someone who can guide the discussion in a positive way. Using a surrogate is something you would do as a last resort.

For her health, she needs to stop smoking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2021, 03:40 PM

8,773 posts, read 5,065,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remar123456 View Post
Unfortunately, She is very addicted. She smokes a lot and for a long time. She fortunately reasonable and admits she maybe won't be able to stop smoke during pregnancy.
Poor child would probaby have to take care of her, when she can`t breathe any more. Get a pet instead.

Old 02-02-2021, 09:41 AM

18,414 posts, read 19,031,744 times
Sounds like no one in this thread has ever been addicted to nicotine. It’s said to be as addictive and hard to quit as hard core narcotic. Overcoming the mental and physical aspects of addiction can take many months if not years to free yourself. And yes some do it quickly and painlessly others don’t. With all that being said yes she should quit.

No woman should get pregnant when she feels like the op. It’s up to her to work out how badly she wants a child and what she’s willing to do for it. I’d suggest adoption before a surrogate. Loving a child shouldn’t be predicated on dna

Old 02-02-2021, 11:52 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,839,619 times
Hire e a surrogate or adopt, hire someone to raise them. Send them to private boarding school. You cna meet them at their college graduation and see how they turned out.

No mess, no fuss, no pain.

Old 02-02-2021, 01:06 PM

13,285 posts, read 8,463,474 times
On a side note- some females gain a great aversion for certain foods and/or drugs or alcohol when pregnant.

I was a smoker til the moment of each conception. The body tends to repute certain sources that could endanger the embryo.

As for your mate, it's her body. Her choice. Support her thru this personal matter. I think you both can find a solution that meets your family goal.

Old 02-02-2021, 07:29 PM

9,511 posts, read 6,109,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
On a side note- some females gain a great aversion for certain foods and/or drugs or alcohol when pregnant.

I was a smoker til the moment of each conception. The body tends to repute certain sources that could endanger the embryo.

As for your mate, it's her body. Her choice. Support her thru this personal matter. I think you both can find a solution that meets your family goal.
Yep, I was a 17 year old smoker when I was pregnant with my first but the smell of cigarette smoke started making me vomit. Cured that addiction.

I must not be very delicate; I had 11, including twins twice. I actually thought about being a surrogate because I am so good at being pregnant but that wouldn't have worked for me. I bond with babies I carry. Would be impossible not to.

Old 02-03-2021, 07:18 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 11 days ago)

35,637 posts, read 17,989,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
Yep, I was a 17 year old smoker when I was pregnant with my first but the smell of cigarette smoke started making me vomit. Cured that addiction.

I must not be very delicate; I had 11, including twins twice. I actually thought about being a surrogate because I am so good at being pregnant but that wouldn't have worked for me. I bond with babies I carry. Would be impossible not to.
They bond with you, too, is the thing. Babies arrive in the world searching for their mother's voice.

Old 02-03-2021, 09:42 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,179,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
They bond with you, too, is the thing. Babies arrive in the world searching for their mother's voice.
Yes. When we hold that tiny one, they always respond to our voices. I’d forgotten that experience.

Old 02-05-2021, 10:33 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,905,591 times
Forget having a child by any means, be it pregnancy, surrogacy, or adoption, if your wife continues to smoke. Even if she only smokes "outdoors or in the garage", she is shortening her life with each cigarette, and children deserve parents who are not addicts.

I lost a cousin who "only smoked in the garage or outside" last year. She died of lung cancer. I am thankful she had no children, but she did have a family who cared about her. Her death was so unnecessary...

Old 02-10-2021, 07:44 AM

16,424 posts, read 8,233,962 times
How old is this woman? She sounds very young and immature. I think it's normal to be a little nervous about pain and maybe think about weight gain the back of your mind but these things should NOT be that big of a deal. Having a baby and becoming a mother should outshine all of these things. I dont think she sounds ready or even wants to have kids.

And if she is such a delicate flower how will she handle life when baby is here? Is she planning to get up throughout the night or someone else will do that too?

It seems like people are really harping on the smoking which is bad but there are other major issues. I've known former smokers (some maybe not even former) who turned out to be good moms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy