Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2024, 08:45 AM

153 posts, read 114,881 times

Advertisements

I have a mix of friends in the suburbs and in the city. Mostly Northside and Southside. Southside friends have become quite defensive about their area. The city friends think the suburb friends opinions of living in the city are crazy. And vice versa. For me, it’s very easy to see the benefits of both types of areas and the downsides.

I think I like the Northside the best of all areas. Very energizing place to live. The park is beautiful with the city skyline in the background. Very NYC Central Park feel. But there are problems still not solved and given the topography, not sure how that is going to happen. After a big bust (last year, I think), there is still the drug dealing on E. Ohio Street which brings the addicts, prostitutes, and gang activity and I recently witnessed four addicts looking at their stamp bags in an alley. And you feel safe is a perfectly reasonable question. Spend some time walking around certain areas. It’s very easy to tell from the foot traffic and the looks on people’s faces whether there is a public safety problem. I wonder, what are the case studies of getting those guys off the corners. How does it happen?

There are also other clear problem areas as well. What is truly amazing to me is the persistence of the community and businesses in spite of all this. This is the civic pride that SteelCityRising mentions. In the Northside, it’s quite remarkable and in my view, not even remotely arrogant like what one would see from some of the people that live in the wealthier suburbs.

(Worth noting that many business owners don’t live in the Northside. They live in places like Ben Avon.)

The Northside has it all including easy access to anywhere but that also has its downside. I recently saw a drawing that showed what the Northside would have looked like without the highways. It almost physically hurts every time I think about that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2024, 08:26 AM

3,711 posts, read 2,691,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
I have spent a combined 11 hours this week after work picking up litter in Marshall-Shadeland in the areas of California and Marshall Avenues and the 65 NB ramp system. Contractor bag after contractor bag after contractor bag. If North Siders truly love being North Siders, then they have an odd way of showing their love for our city. Areas I canvass look like a wreck again within days.

I really hope this depressing and neglected part of the North Side that includes Marshall-Shadeland and Perry South gentrifies soon so we can have coffeshops and house tours and block parties and civic pride like 90% of the rest of the North Side. It's extremely discouraging to live in one of the only North Side neighborhoods that is consistently being left behind. Our councilor (Lavelle) is useless, too.
Hang in there. I feel your pain. I pickup garbage daily as well in the South Hills. People are pigs and so inconsiderate it makes you wonder. I chastise anyone I see littering.

Old 02-03-2024, 12:41 PM

14,352 posts, read 17,012,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svband76 View Post
Hang in there. I feel your pain. I pickup garbage daily as well in the South Hills. People are pigs and so inconsiderate it makes you wonder. I chastise anyone I see littering.
America actually isn't as bad as some places. I've heard from multiple British people how much less people litter over here than there.

Old 02-04-2024, 10:48 AM

12,529 posts, read 17,536,827 times
Not in the city, but traveling on the Parkway East the other day I noticed so much trash along the roadside. Looked third world or the result of a country western concert at the stadium.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh