Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How did the world begin?
The Biblical story is best 8 25.81%
The Norse story (one of two) is the best 2 6.45%
The "Big Bang" Is the Best 13 41.94%
Do you have any other favorite creation story (please post) 4 12.90%
Post your opinions (even if you answer one of the provided options) 4 12.90%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2023, 04:26 PM

8,479 posts, read 6,878,349 times

Advertisements

It’s a mystery our puny brains will never comprehend. Pick your favorite creation story and go with it if that makes you feel better.

Last edited by msgsing; 11-01-2023 at 04:36 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2023, 02:48 AM

1,891 posts, read 2,530,785 times
I for one am perfectly fine with realizing that we don't have the answers to everything. Far too many people feel we should have an explanation for everything and then begin to treat such answers to questions like this as some kind of multiple choice question, whereby if the answer is not A, B or C, then it must be D. That's not the way it works. Personally I think the Big Bang theory has the most evidence so far, though of course there are plenty of unanswered questions about that theory too. So the best answer currently is "nobody really knows". Sometimes that really is the best answer.

Old 11-02-2023, 08:03 AM

134 posts, read 49,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
Personally I voted for the Genesis story. And I want to point out that, since 1950, the Roman Catholic Church (of which I am a member) has accepted that the Big Bang Theory is not in conflict with Genesis. Many mainline Protestant denominations also accept the Big Bang.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religi...ig_Bang_theory

Science and religion don't always have to clash.
I agree. Science is human beings' attempt to explain/recreate the genius of God. Sometimes we get it wrong, sometimes we get it mostly right.

Old 11-02-2023, 12:30 PM

15,944 posts, read 7,009,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by king john IV View Post
"Where did this all begin?"

in your or my mind.
ends there, too.
Yup.

Old 11-02-2023, 08:13 PM

1,891 posts, read 2,530,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
Personally I voted for the Genesis story. And I want to point out that, since 1950, the Roman Catholic Church (of which I am a member) has accepted that the Big Bang Theory is not in conflict with Genesis. Many mainline Protestant denominations also accept the Big Bang.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religi...ig_Bang_theory

Science and religion don't always have to clash.
It would be interesting to see if scientists who believe in the Big Band Theory feel the same way about the Genesis story not conflicting with the Big Bang Theory.

Old 11-06-2023, 06:20 AM

4,856 posts, read 5,817,545 times
If you believe in science, you believe or at least aknowledge the Bbt. If you have faith, the same for those stories. Truth is; it really doesn't matter how it started, if it ever did. It may have just been this whole time. Something had to be here for here to be here. The whole thing is unconcievable and possibly beyond human logic. We'll never know unless we can concieve a time machine that's capable of seeing. As far as I'm concerned, the universe always was and always has been, and always will be. Trying to figure it out is akin to trying to find the start of a mobius strip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy