Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2023, 11:10 AM

722 posts, read 598,028 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
Republicans hate democracy. That's the long and short of it.

How else do you explain a party that's now contemplating a lawsuit over a completely legitimate streamlining of voter registration?

"Moter Voter" registration has existed for years, yet here we are with the right-wing "fraud" hackles going up again because Shapiro made a common-sense policy change when obtaining/renewing a driver's license.

You can't make this stuff up.

https://www.sungazette.com/news/top-...-registration/
This is true. The R's hate this whole voting thing. They're scared of everything, panicked, about people actually voting more easily, vaccines, gender stuff, CRIME!, Jewish cabals, bodily autonomy for women, tech, children's books. Just as weird as it could be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2023, 12:08 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,813,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessie Mitchell View Post
This is true. The R's hate this whole voting thing. They're scared of everything, panicked, about people actually voting more easily, vaccines, gender stuff, CRIME!, Jewish cabals, bodily autonomy for women, tech, children's books. Just as weird as it could be.
the funny thing is the crime problems are not in R controlled districts but pretty much limited to the Democrat extremes like Philadelphia but anything to get people worked up. I do think that making abortion law a state issue has really cost Rs since they are now running candidates that are proposing extreme laws. there are probably a lot of people that don't agree with men playing women's sports but it's not something that's going to trump abortion rights and the whole lying about the election being stolen thing.

Old 09-27-2023, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
the funny thing is the crime problems are not in R controlled districts but pretty much limited to the Democrat extremes like Philadelphia but anything to get people worked up. I do think that making abortion law a state issue has really cost Rs since they are now running candidates that are proposing extreme laws. there are probably a lot of people that don't agree with men playing women's sports but it's not something that's going to trump abortion rights and the whole lying about the election being stolen thing.
Yeah. Setting aside the medical and hormonal nuances of "men" playing women's sports (which broadly speaking I also do not support), where is the phalanx of elected Dems supporting it? There isn't one. It's because most of the people (a clear minority) who do are liberals or progressives, that by some leap of logic all Democrats are on the same page. That's some kind of attribution by association. Are all Republicans weapon wielding militia members at the Capitol? Of course not.

This is how stupid politics has become.

And, I agree, voting rights and abortion rights, and basic rule of law and institutional norms are the issues at hand that are most critical.

Old 09-27-2023, 01:09 PM

9,378 posts, read 9,323,920 times
Quote:
Largely a non-issue used to rile people up. I understand discussions around transgender athletes and how to figure out what works for people under 18 years of age, but many Republicans have turned this into a bizarre anti-trans movement, and for what?...

For example, West Virginia Governor, Jim Justice signed a bill into law that prohibits trans women from competing in collegiate women's sports. There are ZERO documented cases of this ever happening in West Virginia... Why does the Governor prioritize this when West Virginia ranks nearly last in every measurable statistic for QOL?...

Same with Tennessee and drag queens. So bizarre...
And Florida with books...
And extreme stances on abortion... Even Nickki Haley says listen to the people.

In summary, an asinine set of priorities that doesn't resonate with the greater population or help anyone... and until Republicans in office steer away from Trump and the right-wing nuts, then they will continue to perform poorly in general elections. They need to get back to just right of center.

And before someone spouts off, no, not all Republicans are bad, and there are bizarre extremes on the left, but it doesn't rule the party. The right-wing nonsense is a cancer in the Republican party.

Last edited by cpomp; 09-27-2023 at 01:20 PM..

Old 09-27-2023, 04:38 PM

10,611 posts, read 12,118,283 times
OP here, the question is about our PS congressional delegation...and the job they're doing for us in Washington....their particular accomplishments, or lack there of.

Old 09-27-2023, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
OP here, the question is about our PS congressional delegation...and the job they're doing for us in Washington....their particular accomplishments, or lack there of.
Here is the answer: https://www.govtrack.us/congress/votes

Any votes in particular you're interested in?

Old 09-28-2023, 04:44 AM

10,611 posts, read 12,118,283 times
^^Thanks for that info, Jessie

Mostly I just wanted to start a conversation and hear others' thoughts. The subject matter was just drifting into rote partisan generalities about Dems do this, and Repubs believe that, and other politicians from other states that have nothing to do with PA. And that's not this thread. That's all.

But I have to remind myself that not everyone's level of intelligent discourse is the same. For example, I was hoping for no name calling. But some people can't help themselves. It is the Internet after all.

Thanks again. I'll remember that site.

Old 09-28-2023, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
^^Thanks for that info, Jessie

Mostly I just wanted to start a conversation and hear others' thoughts. The subject matter was just drifting into rote partisan generalities about Dems do this, and Repubs believe that, and other politicians from other states that have nothing to do with PA. And that's not this thread. That's all.

But I have to remind myself that not everyone's level of intelligent discourse is the same. For example, I was hoping for no name calling. But some people can't help themselves. It is the Internet after all.

Thanks again. I'll remember that site.
That website is interesting to poke around on. I looked up the House rep for the district where I live, and you can see what bills a rep has sponsored or co-sponsored, the committees they serve on, any disciplinary actions, what companies or people are their largest donors, how they voted on specific bills. Really interesting.

Old 09-28-2023, 02:20 PM

1,141 posts, read 1,207,312 times
Quote:
Totally agree.

Both parties seem to ignore or not really concentrate on the important issues for the majority.

I'm an independent but lean right. I voted for, and really like Gov Shapiro, and think one day he could easily run for president. I voted against Fetterman, and I think he's unprofessional and just an image instead of someone really with the best interest for the people of PA.

It amazes me how well the D's are united. R's seem to be all over the place and can't agree on much and waste their time on "stolen election" or impeaching people, but the D's stay very organized and unified, no matter how silly some of their policies are.

Old 09-28-2023, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeinChina View Post
Totally agree.

Both parties seem to ignore or not really concentrate on the important issues for the majority.

I'm an independent but lean right. I voted for, and really like Gov Shapiro, and think one day he could easily run for president. I voted against Fetterman, and I think he's unprofessional and just an image instead of someone really with the best interest for the people of PA.

It amazes me how well the D's are united. R's seem to be all over the place and can't agree on much and waste their time on "stolen election" or impeaching people, but the D's stay very organized and unified, no matter how silly some of their policies are.
To your point, I was watching the news today about what's going on in the House regarding the various funding bills. The reporter was talking about how McCarthy is so hamstrung by his caucus because his majority is so slim. What the reporter didn't mention was how much Pelosi got passed with the same narrow majority. Speaks to the unity, the willingness to compromise in her caucus even by the members on the furthest end of the spectrum. Also to her skills as Speaker.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania