Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Paganism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2023, 03:19 PM

24,096 posts, read 32,443,737 times

Advertisements

As some of you know, it would not be summer without Lily Dale for me. I have been going every summer, at least once, and mostly more times, for the past decade. I am very lucky to only live 2 hours from LD, and I was thinking - how about a meet up? This summer?

I am a member of City of Light Spiritualist Church, since last Summer. I know what to do, what to skip, I know many of the mediums - although, a few years ago, I knew more because several crossed over during the past few years, and there are fewer mediums and new mediums.

We can all stay at the Maplewood, which is dormitory style and the least expensive way to stay on campus. This was the first hotel at Lily Dale. I know the ins and outs of The Maplewood, and where to stay.

Pros - Inexpensive. Historic. Quintennial Lily Dale. Front porch has beautiful views of Lake Cassadaga.
Sunsets are exquisite. People from other hotels and rooming houses often drop by, No one checks.
Lots of conversations. People trade experiences of the day. How were their readings? Who was good?
What medium disappointed? What happened that the Stump? At Forrest Temple? It has Spirit Art.
The rooms appear to have mostly Eastlake style Victorian Furniture, so it's very authentic. It's haunted
They know where it's more haunted and less. I like a mildly haunted sleeping experience. It's clean.
Every room has a sink, towels, are provided. It's quaint and quirky.

Cons - It's very rustic. Only one room on the first floor is handicapped accessible, if that is important a need.
The Shower and toilet are shared, One per floor. Nothing fancy, but clean. The mattresses old.
None are especially good. Or on the level of a chain hotel. You may have a paranormal experience.
It's quaint and quirky.

There are other more expensive and posh places to stay. I have stayed at several. None, for me, were worth the difference of the price. However, I am curious, and I have enjoyed staying at some other hotels.

Before I go further, is anyone interested?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2023, 03:30 PM

88,525 posts, read 84,705,921 times
Me.

I have always intended to go, and if illness and death had not derailed my life, I would have merrily driven down from the magical lake in Ontario. The late Pagan partner would have sent me with his blessings but stayed home.

But now I am on my own, and as you know, considering Pittsburgh, but I would go there from here (Jersey) anyway.

By the way, did you know the late George Khoury? I know he spent time at Lilydale. I took a class in Tarot basics from him, after which we connected on FB. Was saddened by his leaving this realm.

Old 12-04-2023, 12:23 AM

24,096 posts, read 32,443,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Me.

I have always intended to go, and if illness and death had not derailed my life, I would have merrily driven down from the magical lake in Ontario. The late Pagan partner would have sent me with his blessings but stayed home.

But now I am on my own, and as you know, considering Pittsburgh, but I would go there from here (Jersey) anyway.

By the way, did you know the late George Khoury? I know he spent time at Lilydale. I took a class in Tarot basics from him, after which we connected on FB. Was saddened by his leaving this realm.
YAAAY! I know we had tentative but serious plans to visit. I also knew why everything was put on hold. I am so happy to hear that you are still interested.

Is your daughter living in burgh? Last I heard, she was working on an advanced degree. PhD, if I remember correctly. What is she studying? I don't want to take this thread off topic, but you KNOW I am going to suggest Cleveland. You won't have to say goodbye to the shore. The North Coast of Ohio is expansive and oddly familiar to east coasters. Boardwalks, boat trips, and off-Islands, each with their own personality. You will forget you are in the Midwest. Cleveland is very sophisticated, cultured and inexpensive. There is so much to do, and it's very Pagan friendly. The Buckland Museum of Witchcraft is in Cleveland too.

Getting back to Lily Dale, do you think your daughter would want to visit? Is she interested in this type of thing?

I do not know George Khoury personally, but I have heard of him. How did you find yourself taking Tarot lessons with him?

There are classes in Lily Dale, as I am sure your know. I usually take one each visit. There are free classes as well as moderately priced and expensive classes. When we go, we select a class that interests whatever friend I visit with. My husband likes Lily Dale, especially having a yearly reading or two. He is not much for classes, though. I have meet my friends from the NYC metro area there at the Dale, more than I have gone with my husband. I am not taking an outside friend on this proposed trip. I am envisioning it as a vacation for the City Data people.

Which brings me to the fact that Lily Dale has many more women visitors than it does men.

The summer program comes out in March, so that's when we can find out what speakers and classes are planned for this season. I am always excited to receive that catalog and plan my Lily Dale visit(s).

Would you prefer to stay at The Maplewood or one of the other locations? I am open to staying anywhere. I think if we can get a larger group, we can get a discount at some of the locations. I also think that through the church I joined, there is another hotel where we can possibly get a discount.

What are your thoughts? Any questions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2023, 05:37 AM

Answered about daughter in DM, but yes, she is very interested in "this sort of thing".

I took the class with George Khoury in Montclair, NJ. My close friend, who is also my 9/11 "escape-mate", found class offered somewhere and suggested we attend together. We are very bound spiritually, she and I.

I don't know what George Khoury died from, but he was very very knowledeable as well as a pleasant and approachable person.

I am open to staying wherever it works best. I prefer comfort and cleanliness, but I can adjust to just about anything.

Old 12-04-2023, 04:01 PM

16,665 posts, read 15,658,096 times
If you go to Cleveland, make sure to block out a day for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

Old 12-04-2023, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
If you go to Cleveland, make sure to block out a day for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.
That would be fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Paganism