Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2024, 01:05 PM

14,302 posts, read 11,684,342 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
If you’re that worried about clothing/luggage, consider PEC - but you shouldn’t have anything of value with you anyway. That said, how old is your daughter that you don’t plan to stick around Disneyland? I took my niece and her friends on a day trip some time ago for her birthday; heh, my sister-in-law would have shot me if I left them (but, of course, I would not have done so).

In other words, from my perspective, you’re giving more thought to luggage than your daughter/kids.
If they had cell phones and a strict agreement not to leave the park, I’d have had no issue leaving my kids and friends at Disney, Knotts, etc. for the day starting around age 12. I believe the parks have a policy about this as well (the age kids can be left there alone). In fact, I’m pretty sure my kids did go alone with friends as young teens. Disneyland is extremely safe -and as long as they stay in the park and don’t try to cause trouble, there’s almost nothing that can go wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2024, 01:24 PM

174 posts, read 132,490 times
Daughter is well into her 20's. Geesh, can't you people stay on topic?

Old 01-30-2024, 01:25 PM

8,659 posts, read 3,858,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
If they had cell phones and a strict agreement not to leave the park, I’d have had no issue leaving my kids and friends at Disney, Knotts, etc. for the day starting around age 12.
I think the policy is 14 or 16 at Disneyland. That said, you can just as easily allow them to go on rides by themselves, etc. while being available - especially if the OP is worried about his/her luggage when venturing out, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hebrews12 View Post
I'm considering visiting places such as the library, Newport Beach, Sunset Beach, Fashion Island etc.
Newport Beach and Fashion Island are (potentially) an hour away to and from (relative to parking, traffic in/out); and your daughter might enjoy that as well, maybe even more so (depending on her age). Poor planning, from my perspective.

Quote:
Daughter is well into her 20's.
Ah, and you’re visiting OC together?

Old 01-30-2024, 02:37 PM

Quote:
I looked it up and it says 14+ can be at Disneyland without adults, but obviously that's beside the point. I never questioned it in the first place; it is a bit strange that another poster jumped to the conclusion that "daughter and friends" means "underage children." Or that during a vacation you all have to be joined at the hip.

OP, the places you have mentioned all sound fine and safe to leave luggage in the trunk during daylight hours, at least. I don't know how many people who have posted actually live in OC, but I do, and if you were in one of the few actually sketchy parts of OC you would know it and wouldn't be there in the first place.

Old 01-30-2024, 02:47 PM

Quote:
I looked it up and it says 14+ can be at Disneyland without adults, but obviously that's beside the point. I never questioned it in the first place; it is a bit strange that another poster jumped to the conclusion that "daughter and friends" means "underage children."
It’s a reasonable consideration as it’s at the core of OP’s thread (and vacation plans). That said, I do think in terms of younger kids/teens relative to Disneyland, lol; who wouldn’t, particularly since Hebrews clearly stated he/she plans to go shopping and visit beaches instead (which, I would think, an older teen but especially a woman ‘well into her twenties’ would prefer anyway). Keep in mind some folks assume Disneyland is on the same scale (or offers anywhere near as much) as Disneyworld; it’s not. The former is definitely geared toward a younger child, as a whole.

In other words, it’s all relevant to the thread/one visiting OC. I was alerting the OP, just in case he/she planned to drop-off 12 or 14-year olds (and wouldn’t be allowed to do so). I’m sure it’s happened to some folks as it’s probably a fairly common expectation (as you previously indicated as well); else, there’d be no need for the policy.

Quote:
Relax, dude. I was only attempting to offer advice relative to your thread. Most folks don’t travel with their kids/their friends when they are ‘well into their twenties’ (especially to Disneyland); obviously, I assumed she was younger and didn’t want your plans to backfire at the gate (if she wasn’t of age to be ‘unattended’, per policy).

That said, relative to your specific question re: luggage, your daughter and her friends should be able to manage their own luggage, either in a rental car of their own or by way of a locker (assuming it’s just a roller/carry-on). You can also just purchase PEC if worrying about it is going to hinder your ability to enjoy yourself, but it should be fine. Between (living in) SF and OC, I’ve never had a car vandalized or (anything) stolen.

Last edited by CorporateCowboy; 01-30-2024 at 04:01 PM.. Reason: added quote/response

Old 01-30-2024, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
It’s a reasonable consideration as it’s at the core of OP’s thread (and vacation plans). That said, I do think in terms of younger kids/teens relative to Disneyland, lol; who wouldn’t, particularly since Hebrews clearly stated he/she plans to go shopping and visit beaches instead (which, I would think, an older teen but especially a woman ‘well into her twenties’ would prefer anyway). Keep in mind some folks assume Disneyland is on the same scale (or offers anywhere near as much) as Disneyworld; it’s not. The former is definitely geared toward a younger child, as a whole.
Haven't been to Disney World but the idea that Disneyland isn't appealing to adults is a little nuts. When was the last time you were there? I've been twice in the past two years--a customer of my husband's is an employee and gave us two sets of three tickets. I went once with one of my daughters and my niece (ages 22 and 21), and the second time with my other daiughter and nephew (ages 20 and 21). By the way I am in my 50s. We had a blast both times, especially in the Galaxy's Edge (Star Wars) area, and throughout the park there were vast numbers of adults of all ages who did not have small children in tow. It doesn't seem odd to me AT ALL that some mid-20s women would want to spend a day at Disneyland.

Old 01-30-2024, 05:50 PM

30,135 posts, read 11,774,020 times
Quote:
Wanted to add that last year, my niece and her friend visiting from Germany headed out of OC on a road trip. Their first stop was the Hollywood sign. They parked the car at the trailhead parking lot, left their backpacks visible in the back seat, and headed up the trail. When they returned, the door lock had been forced open and the backpacks ransacked. No clothes taken, but their wallets and passports had been stolen. So yeah, that was the wrong place (sketchy area of LA) and a stupid thing to do.
I know a friend of mine in LA that had his car broken into while jogging, he also left his wallet in his car. It was in a decent area. But if thieves know you are going on a jog or hike you won't be suddenly showing up while they are breaking in so its easy pickings for them. Best to carry your wallet with you or leave it at home. Just bring your id.

Old 01-31-2024, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Haven't been to Disney World but the idea that Disneyland isn't appealing to adults is a little nuts.
That I assumed OP’s daughter was younger (and consider the smaller Magic Kingdom atmosphere to be geared toward younger kids or preteens) does not translate to an opinion that older kids, adults or parents can’t enjoy it; I’m simply surprised by a woman ‘well into her twenties’ traveling with a parent to do so - particularly when OC has so much more to offer if time is limited (and only one rental car is available, per the OP). It’s a reasonable thought.

Point being, by comparison, Disneyworld has far more recreation relative to older kids/teens i.e. multiple parks/water parks as well as some Disney offerings specifically intended for adults including nightclubs, better dining options, Epcot activities and so on.

That said, I hope the OP and her daughter enjoy their OC visit - no matter what they do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County