Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2011, 04:08 PM

4,030 posts, read 10,760,032 times

Advertisements

You will find lots of bungalows in OKC. No row houses, but lots of charming little bungalows, both brick and siding. There are some really cool areas of town, such as the Paseo, and Mesta Heights, as well as many others that have lots of charm.

And look at the bright side of the weather, our winters are much better than Iowa's. I have a nephew who was in the Coast Guard, stationed on the Mississippi in Dubuque. He said he was so glad to get out of there, because he doesn't like the cold, not because of the people or the town. He said it was the worst winter of his life!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2011, 04:33 PM

77 posts, read 199,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debzkidz View Post
You will find lots of bungalows in OKC. No row houses, but lots of charming little bungalows, both brick and siding. There are some really cool areas of town, such as the Paseo, and Mesta Heights, as well as many others that have lots of charm.

And look at the bright side of the weather, our winters are much better than Iowa's. I have a nephew who was in the Coast Guard, stationed on the Mississippi in Dubuque. He said he was so glad to get out of there, because he doesn't like the cold, not because of the people or the town. He said it was the worst winter of his life!

HA!! I was up in Dubuque last week, as my sister is moving there pretty soon, and it is a windy and extremely hilly city. So I can only imagine how brutal those winds were in December and January. Its a very charming city, and is the oldest city in Iowa, with a very east coast feel to it, with lots of victorians and brick rowhouses. It kind of reminded me of a smaller version of Baltimore, with 60,000 residents.

Honestly, I think that I would miss the winter seasons. I would find it strange to look outside of my home on Christmas or New Year's Day and see dry grass with temps in the 50s and 60s (and perhaps even some 70s). But I can adjust...lol.

Old 10-21-2011, 08:12 PM

4,030 posts, read 10,760,032 times
Don't worry, we still get plenty of winter. More winter than we were accustomed to when we moved here. We did have a white Christmas 2 years ago. Actually we had a blizzard that began on Christmas Eve and pretty much brought the city to a standstill.

Old 10-25-2011, 10:31 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,290,783 times
I don't think Oklahomans in general are racist or any more racist than anywhere else. I do think politically correct norms that exist in most metropolitan cities on the coasts are not really honored in Oklahoma for a variety of reasons. I think much of it is due to ignorance and a lack of exposure and community with ethnic people and people of different faiths. Thus people in Oklahoma can be inappropriate at times and not very respectful. I used to regularly hear inappropriate comments about race, sexual orientation and religion in Oklahoma. I grew up in California and people shared these views as well but knew it was inappropriate to voice these opinions publicly and would be embarrassed to do so knowing it was not politically correct. For some people, it can be offensive and at times I found it offensive. So yes, I heard my fair share of racially inappropriate comments but do I think they are any more racist than people elsewhere, probably not.

Old 06-03-2022, 07:37 PM

6 posts, read 6,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackMM View Post
If you are African American and planning on moving to OKC, try to avoid NE OKC. Sure its black, but parts of it are HOOD as hell. All major business close around 6-8pm while their other locations may stay open late into the night in other areas, no 7-11s (you get Tom's market, the official stop-n-rob of OKC) and forget about getting a pizza delivered.

Most affluent black folks like myself prefer to live in the multi cultural communities here as OKC doesn't really have any affluent black communities like in Atlanta or Houston (the closest we come is Forest Park).
I guarantee NONE of the OKC Thunder players chose to have their million dollar mansions built in NE OKC.
The official stop and rob,

Old 07-20-2022, 04:05 AM

5,546 posts, read 9,500,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
This is not exactly true but is not far off.. Edwin McCabe came from Kansas and founded Langston. He wanted Oklahoma to be a "majority black" state and thus started a movement to start black towns as you stated. During segragation these towns thrived as small farming communities but most all of them have dried up in the last 80 years.

Many of these towns were around Okmulgee, Muskogee with a few others in central Oklahoma (Greenpastures, Arcadia, Langston and Earlsboro). There were a few in southcentral and southwestern Oklahoma as well.

T

I think Spencer would probably qualify too. What about Millwood? Very close in proximity.

Old 07-21-2022, 05:22 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,531,444 times
Don't forget Boley.

Old 07-22-2022, 03:40 PM

17,778 posts, read 13,670,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
I think Spencer would probably qualify too. What about Millwood? Very close in proximity.
Spencer was not an all Black town. In fact it had an all white school until busing started. The Black kids came from Greenpasture which was next door. They then closed Dunjee school in the early 1970s and all those kids (from Greenpasture) went to Star Spencer.

Millwood is just a school district. It too was all white until busing started. I had a white friend who went there in grade school and he said it was all white.

I believe Arcadia was the only all Black town in the OKC area. But obviously it isn't now.

Old 07-22-2022, 03:42 PM

17,778 posts, read 13,670,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
Spencer was not an all Black town. In fact it had an all white school until busing started. The Black kids came from Greenpasture which was next door. They then closed Dunjee school in the early 1970s and all those kids (from Greenpasture) went to Star Spencer.

Millwood is just a school district. It too was all white until busing started. I had a white friend who went there in grade school and he said it was all white.

In segregation days there was Douglass, Dunjee and a school called Dunbar in Arcadia OK. Those were the only schools Blacks could go to.

Old 07-23-2022, 11:50 AM

5,546 posts, read 9,500,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post

In segregation days there was Douglass, Dunjee and a school called Dunbar in Arcadia OK. Those were the only schools Blacks could go to.

Thank you for the info. That is really interesting---never heard of Greenpasture.

Oddly enough, the play on words makes me think of our own "Goodpasture" on this forum---wish he was still around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City